Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

hole through differential cover..could it be ring gear bolts

9K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  chevymaher 
#1 ·
hi guys i was driving yesterday and noticed a hole going through my differential cover. i had replaced my differential bout 2 years ago at a shop. you guys know if perhaps it's a ring gear bolt that went through my cover? i've heard several instances where the bolts get loose and the ring and go out through the cover. if i'm missing a couple of ring gear bolts can i just install them without removing the ring? maybe just put it in neutral and spinning the ring gear while i install the missing bolts? also what torque should i use on these bolts? as in how many pounds on each ring gear bolt when using a torque wrench? also when i install the differential cover back on my van what should be the correct torque for the bolts as well. alright hope to hear from someone soon.

#27 ·
Clean the bolt's threads, clean the threads in the diff.

Remove the plug every couple months to check the fill level. This will keep it from being stuck in the future.

#28 ·
I took the plug into a hardware store and checked the size (cant remember off the top of my head) and got this

californiaastroluv76 said:
grandamle91 said:
When I finally got mine out I went and bought a hex plug
yayyy i finally got it out..with a breaker bar and some torque wrench liquid....so where do i get the hex? what kind or which one do u have? let me know so i can install it on mine and it's not a pain in the butt next time.. alright so right now i'm just draining my differential and have the cover off and anxiously awaiting what's broken inside... gonna wait a few mins then go back... man this stuff needs a lot patience. :screaming:

Attachments

#29 ·
Leeann_93 said:
Clean the bolt's threads, clean the threads in the diff.

Remove the plug every couple months to check the fill level. This will keep it from being stuck in the future.
so here's what happened.. i had a whole and it looks like one of the spider gears went thru my cover.. except i dont know which one.. look at pics below... wanted to ask how can i turn the spider gears so i can take that one pin out of there. does it have to be up on jack stands?

#31 ·
97cargocrawler said:
I'd love to see a photo of this...
so here it is it looks like pinion gear went out. :( one of those blades ended up hitting my cover and put a hole through it. :( the question is i had being driving my van like this for a while. . can i still drive it like this or should i change it? :( if so are there any videos or topics on here that shows me how to remove the pinion gear? also i was able to remove the 8mm bolt from the spider gears but wasn't able to remove the pin in the middle. there's some sort of plate in the ;middle of the gears. wondering how do i remove it? do i have to put a whole new rear end on it? :( ughhhhhhh last one cost me $750 well it was this one.... can i just buy a ring and pinion gear and put it myself? :(

see pics below

pinion gear damage

plate i can't remove

#35 ·
this is my rear differential.. how did u fix yours? i've heard that the differential on these chevy's were horrible in the 90s as well ast the 80s. :( so is this repairable?
Ah you are hearing just that stories. Nothing is good if it isn't taken care of. If rebuilt correctly and taken care of the are good rear ends.
I beat mine to death and it is fine. It was run dry before I got it. It lasted 230 thousand miles I rebuilt it. It still taking it like a champ.
My brother had a 7.5 rear end(same as the vans have) in a monza with a 383 and a supercharger 800 hp. Took it out of that car and now it is being beaten within a inch of its life in a 68 charger 440 supercharged with alcohol injection. It isn't breaking or groaning.
Dads firebird has one he flogs it and has no problem.

Put good parts in it and they are just fine.
Good carrier,bearings and gears. They are rated at 850 HP and take alot more.

So war stories and testimonials aside yes yours is repairable. So far you haven't damaged the housing. All else can be replaced. So far you need gears and bearings. I recommend getting a carrier to. Carrier is the weak link. They are thin deflect and gears break. On yours it looks like the shim just wore and split. Causing the pinion to have massive side play and it broke it.

#36 ·
#39 ·
CoolCat4Christ said:
......also i was able to remove the 8mm bolt from the spider gears but wasn't able to remove the pin in the middle.............
Before you break out the sledge hammer read this..... credit goes to 97cargocrawler and those who replied to his post.

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=16408[/quot

Man i think i brome the 8mm bolt. I just saw a pic of hos if looks. The bolt came off but only with thread the rest is inside i need to recheck. :( also how do i replace my pinion gear? Do i have to replace my ring gear too? Man i think im screwed that 8mm bolt :(

#40 ·
It's very common for the unthreaded part of the bolt to snap off. Mine was broken. Try fishing it out with a magnet first. If that doesn't work maybe there are some threads on the busted part....try walking it out with a scribe or something sharp, long and pointy.

You might get by with just replacing the pinion with a used one, but they are sold new in sets with a matched ring gear. You can replace the whole bit yourself. I did it without prior experience and nailed it the first time. Runs as smooth as butter.

#43 ·
97cargocrawler said:
It's very common for the unthreaded part of the bolt to snap off. Mine was broken. Try fishing it out with a magnet first. If that doesn't work maybe there are some threads on the busted part....try walking it out with a scribe or something sharp, long and pointy.

You might get by with just replacing the pinion with a used one, but they are sold new in sets with a matched ring gear. You can replace the whole bit yourself. I did it without prior experience and nailed it the first time. Runs as smooth as butter.
:(

alright so is there anything on here on how to remove the pinion gear? :( what tools do i need? so once i remove the spider gears do i have to remove the drive shaft to remove the pinion gear or can i just remove the spider gears stick my hand in there and just remove the pinion?

#44 ·
chevymaher said:
No you can't replace just the pinion. It has to be a set. Your bearings are shot also. 240 bucks for all new parts.
View attachment 1
oh awesome thanks for the info....i'll definitely get this.. my only concern is that i don't have time to work on my van inside my house i have outside the place where i rent here in LA.. they have street parking and have to move the van twice a week. ughhh i wish i had my own place so i can take my time. so all those bearings, washers etc is there anywhere in the forum that shows me how to do this? do i have to remove the driveshaft? can i just remove the spider gears and just replace the parts?

#45 ·
Everything is coming apart. Axles out. Take the carrier out. Driveshaft out. Once the yoke is off smack the pinion with a hammer to get it out. It is just so no worry mushrooming it. Once that is done bearing races come out. They come out with a flat punch and patience.

Don't take it apart till you get the new parts then. It will move under its own power fine with the cover off. Just dont go to far. Once you got the parts it should take 2-3 days. Here is some reading material to tide you over from when I did mine. Tools you need to beg and borrow and what to expect doing it.
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=14227

#46 ·
chevymaher said:
Everything is coming apart. Axles out. Take the carrier out. Driveshaft out. Once the yoke is off smack the pinion with a hammer to get it out. It is just so no worry mushrooming it. Once that is done bearing races come out. They come out with a flat punch and patience.

Don't take it apart till you get the new parts then. It will move under its own power fine with the cover off. Just dont go to far. Once you got the parts it should take 2-3 days. Here is some reading material to tide you over from when I did mine. Tools you need to beg and borrow and what to expect doing it.
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=14227
oh so i can move my van with no differential cover on then? hmmm....cuz i'm trying to see if i can find a an open space i can use to move my van to where i can work on it. i've seen it's a pain in the arse to remove the pinion gear.. once i remove the drive shaft what special puller or tool do i need to remove that huge bolt? i know some people struggle with it just wanna get myself mentally prepared for this.

#47 ·
For the yoke no puller is needed. Just whack it real good one side then the other. It comes off fairly easily. Axle nut set of sockets and a breaker bar getting the big nut off. When applying pressure hit the socket to jar it. Best break that loose before the axles come out and have somebody stand on the brakes hard. I used a impact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.