Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Rear Differential Oil Change

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  2002Safari 
#1 ·
The Front Differential was easy to change - just remove the plug to drain, replace the plug, remove the fill plug and fill to the top then replace the plug.

The rear differential is another bird. There is no drain plug and no fill plug. What gives? Is this one of them things that must be stood "down right" with the tail in the air, remove the 10 bolts to do the job. I really would like to put Mobile 1 in there.

On my transmission, I installed a B&M drain plug so it's much less messy job to replace the filter.

#2 ·
Yep, remove the 10 bolts. Just did mine 2 weeks ago. The hardest part was removing the filler plug. After wrestling with it for over a half hour, trying different breaker bars, ratchets, etc... I put a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on the impact wrench and had it out in seconds. Wish I would have done that right away. Then used the impact to remove the 10 bolts. Good luck in the change!

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.