Differential Pinion Seal Leak

Differential Pinion Seal Leak

Postby stewartmcgann [OP] » September 21st 2010, 7:30pm

The vehicle is a 1995 Astro AWD About a week ago my van start make a pop noise followed by a whirring noise for about 100 ft then stop. I was just gonna let it go til i had a day off to get under and take a look at it as this only happened maybe once a day. Well yesterday i pulled out and it immediately made much louder pop and whir noise and repeated the pop whir several times in about a 3 mile run so i parked it and got underneath it and noticed what appears to be differential fluid spun out of the pinion seal area. It has been parked all day and has not dripped any fluid i am not sure if this means it is bone dry or it can only leak while spinning. I know i need to replace the seal but i was wondering if i need to go ahead and replace all four bearings or if i can top it off and crank a few thousand more out of em if they are already making noise. also are there any other components that could be damaged and need replaced while i am in there i had a bad u joint replaced about 2 months ago and think that this could have lead to the seal failure.
Original Poster [OP]
stewartmcgann
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: stewartmcgann has been a member for 3 full yearsstewartmcgann has been a member for 3 full yearsstewartmcgann has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Differential Pinion Seal Leak

Postby astroturf » September 21st 2010, 9:08pm

stewartmcgann wrote:The vehicle is a 1995 Astro AWD About a week ago my van start make a pop noise followed by a whirring noise for about 100 ft then stop. I was just gonna let it go til i had a day off to get under and take a look at it as this only happened maybe once a day. Well yesterday i pulled out and it immediately made much louder pop and whir noise and repeated the pop whir several times in about a 3 mile run so i parked it and got underneath it and noticed what appears to be differential fluid spun out of the pinion seal area. It has been parked all day and has not dripped any fluid i am not sure if this means it is bone dry or it can only leak while spinning. I know i need to replace the seal but i was wondering if i need to go ahead and replace all four bearings or if i can top it off and crank a few thousand more out of em if they are already making noise. also are there any other components that could be damaged and need replaced while i am in there i had a bad u joint replaced about 2 months ago and think that this could have lead to the seal failure.

Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=4572&p=31898&hilit=diff+rebuild#p31898

Hope it helps, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby stewartmcgann [OP] » September 21st 2010, 9:27pm

This does give me some insight into it but it appears i failed to mention that it is the front differential and not the rear that i am having to replace any info on the front.
Original Poster [OP]
stewartmcgann
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: stewartmcgann has been a member for 3 full yearsstewartmcgann has been a member for 3 full yearsstewartmcgann has been a member for 3 full years

Postby astroturf » September 21st 2010, 10:30pm

Hey, You got me on that one...

I am currently a 2wd Guy.

Someone will chime in and hook you up. Hang in there.

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby stewartmcgann [OP] » September 21st 2010, 11:38pm

Do you think it would be proper to post this under the transmission section as it has more to do with the front end and not the rear end.
Original Poster [OP]
stewartmcgann
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)