Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Which Headlight Bulbs?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Phantom 
#1 ·
I want the brightest bulbs I can get. Probably over the counter bulbs that are plug and play. I had silverstars before and they were 'ok'. I see they now have Silverstar Ultras that people say are good. I was in Advance Auto parts picking up some airshocks and noticed they carries HELLA bulbs. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 0887342___

What so you all think??? Suggestions????

And for sh!ts and giggles, PLEASE point me in the direction of HID's. I want bright.

#3 ·
Well the HID lights can get too bright but if you stick to a 4000K or 6000K you'll be fine.
These are brighter than the standard lights but not too bright so you wont blind oncoming traffic.

You could also use 100/90 Watt H4 halogen bulbs instead of 60/55 Watt but these will heat up the wires with all possible risks involved.

#5 ·
Silverstars come in a few brightness levels , the brightest are quite good ; the trade off is the brighter they are the shorter the life span . I have found that adding some auxiliary driving lights really help fill the roadway with light and in the case of a headlamp bulb burnout the aux lighting really helps

#7 ·
The factory mounted HID or Xenon kits have an awesome lifespan unfortunately this can't be said for the aftermarket kits.

I'd recommend looking for the brand with the cheapest replacement HID bulbs.
Because you will have to replace them after about 1 or 1,5 years of use.

#9 ·
When I was researching lights awhile back I found most people preferred the Silverstars over the Hella , The only negative thing I heard about Silverstar Ultra was they only last about 1 year , but most bulbs that output 4400K , which I believe is what they are, I don't have a chart, they have short life span , the cardboard packaging they come on has a comparison chart . This is one of those things where opinion , perception can vary as people see things differently. Here is a link to the product that has been told to me that is better than most and some say is the best . Some people drive at night more than others, so it is hard to know the life span on a 1:1 ratio.

Here is PIAA

http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs.html

Here is Sivlerstar site
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProduct ... eadlights/

#10 ·
i have put hid lights 6000k in our daily driver and they have been great they have been in now for 3 years and never had a problem
with them in the main beam i have 4500k bulbs which look like hid but are normal h7 bulbs ..
i am going to put them in the astro within the next few weeks will let you know how they perform..

steve

#11 ·
Dirk said:
You could also use 100/90 Watt H4 halogen bulbs instead of 60/55 Watt but these will heat up the wires with all possible risks involved.
Agree, someone ran 100/90 watt in my van burnt the plug to the bulb and melted about an inch or 2 of the insulation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.