Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

*Solved* Driver's side door stuck shut

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  dualsport 
#1 ·
ah junk!

i juuust replaced my driver's side window motor, got the tools all cleaned up and i'm reaching for the door handle to get in a drive home when... junk! it felt like the door was locked (but it's not?!) and i reached in from the passenger side but the door IS UNLOCKED and the handle feels loose, like the linkage became disconnected? Probably knocked it off somehow when I was messin with the window? :clap: crapolah.

Any advice on how to open a closed door? (*be nice boys... be nice*)

I can't pop the nylon rivets to access the inards of the door, cause it's shut.
I can't open the door, cause the doors shut.
shut.
shut.
shut.

:)

another day...

Thanks guys. I'm headed back over to the van and poke around for a bit...

See less See more
#2 ·
oh... quick note: the door lock latch (on the inside) will not move up or down. it's all bound up inside. needs therapy. like i'm gonna after tonight...

thanks.

#3 ·
Wow thats not nice. Only sugestion I got is take off passenger door panel see what you up against. And go fishin with a wire coat hanger see if you can pop it that way. Other wise it looks like a new door panel because I just cant see a way in otherwise.Hopefully somebody knows a trick on here I am not aware of.

#4 ·
well...

humble pie for me tonight :oops:

i was able to remove the window/door lock panel and found that the door lock/unlock latch was working just fine... but was not connected to the horizontal bar that actually does something useful. that's why i had that sinking feeling of *crap, i just locked myself outta the van!* the door WAS locked, but showed 'unlocked.' after putting it all together- correctly this time- i'm headed home... again :whistle: it sure pays to retrace yer steps when things go badly.

thanks for yer offer for help! i was headed over to get the heavy artillary and say a big PLEASE OPEN with a sawzall (chainsaw?) or somethin...

g'night

#6 ·
chevymaher said:
Glad you got it. I was afraid you knocked side off next to door latch.Other end of it.
You and me both!!! I had used a screwdriver to pop the nylon rivets and was worried I'd knocked the linkage off somehow by inserting it too far? Tweaked something somehow? Weird worries...

I was really stumped just standing there looking at the door and wondering how in the heck I'd be able to get inside and correct things... I really did think I'd have to use a coat-hanger blindly down the window, or cut into (and later replace) the plastic/fabric door panel. Oh well... glad it worked out.

Thanks for the quick shout-out chevymaher...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.