Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Conversion top seals?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  nwmod39 
#1 ·
I have done a couple of searches on the topic but never have found anything solid.

I want to pull the conversion top from my 91, scuff it up and repaint, then re install it.

Main reason is that the passenger side rear seal is leaking in the winter time when snow and ice sit up there and if it rains hard enough at other times of the year it will as well.

Does anyone have a company that they know of that sells seals for these tops? Also what do you call the exterior seal that is like a cap where the top and van roof meet? I guess it would be similar to what surround a windshield? Mine has been exposed for so long that it has shrunk in places and is bowed up in other with no chance to get it back into place as it has become brittle.

I have asked a couple body panels shops locally and no one knows for sure so Ill ask the professionals here!

Thanks!
Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
When I installed a Fantastic Fan in my brother's Tear Drop Trailer I used Butyl Tape Link Here Tuff is great and doesn't dry out. In Fact I used it on everywhere that I needed to cut into the outer wall or roof. The Doors, the rear hatch hinge, the shore power hatch... I'm not sure how the roof is attached, mine has a lip on the interior where they screwed it to the van roof.

#4 ·
Butyl tape works well. It takes on any shape you want and is maluable for many years after applied. I use it often at work but never with something so big. I got some with my fan as well but just decided that it was never going to come off ever again and siliconed it in instead.

I think both options have there pros and cons. And both would certainly be cheaper then proper seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.