Rear door latch broken 98 Safari

Rear door latch broken 98 Safari

Postby girlscoutmom227 [OP] » February 5th 2011, 4:31pm

The rear door latch just broke on my 98 Safari it has the barn doors . How easy will it be to fix this and also can I use any door latches from a 99 Astro to replace it.
I have a 99 Astro that I can use for parts it has dutch doors though just wondering if all the door latches were the same.
Original Poster [OP]
girlscoutmom227
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: girlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): girlscoutmom

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Rear door latch broken 98 Safari

Postby Phantom » February 5th 2011, 4:54pm

It is rather easy to replace , you'll have to remove the interior door panel to access it all , the 99 should be the same part , but if they look different or if you are not sure you can call a parts store and compare part numbers , or a repair shop and they can look it up for you to make sure , or you can go to rockauto.com and see what the part numbers are on their site
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby a2l1 » February 8th 2011, 5:59am

For what its worth the handle assembly on mine, with barn door, wouldnt open the door either. From the inside I removed the door panel and opened the door by pulling the rod. After it was open and I was outside I removed the side panel as well. The little 2 1/2X7 or so panel for access to the handle assembly. With both panels off it was clear that the problem was the swing arm on the handle assembly came off. These are pushed on at the manufacture and just have a little lip of the metal that actually holds them in place, it wears down easily and then falls of the latch arm. I pushed it back onto the latch and then drilled a hole through the center of the push pin. I then put a larger washer on a self tapinng screw and screwed it into the hole I drilled. Now the assembly that holds the door latch rod stays attached to the handle and everything works just fine. I believe it will outlast any replacement handle.The entire job took less than ten minutes and that how long it probably would take to replace the handle assembly.
Just a note here after doing any work there always lube up the latch assembly and the pivot points. The door will work easier and last longer.
1995 Regency conversion really a work in progress !!
Hernando County - West Central Florida
a2l1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: a2l1 has been a member for 3 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 3 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): A J
Extra Info: 4.3-auto-RWD

Postby girlscoutmom227 [OP] » February 10th 2011, 2:23am

The handle had a crack in it and when i tried to open it again it broke off so I can't open doors. Luckily my spare is in the back of the van or else I would be out of luck if I had a flat.
Original Poster [OP]
girlscoutmom227
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: girlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full yearsgirlscoutmom227 has been a member for 6 full years

Postby Phantom » February 10th 2011, 2:46am

There are a few threads on this topic ; here is one of them

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8390&hilit=getting+into+barn+doors&start=10
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby girlscoutmom227 [OP] » February 18th 2011, 12:55am

Figured out the problem on why the door handle broke my husband took the door panel off and removed the screws and the rod has been replaced by a piece of coat hanger which is a bit too long thus the reason the door was so hard to open. I don't know why the guy in one post said the bolts had to be drilled out the ones on mine came right off.
Original Poster [OP]
girlscoutmom227
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)