1988 Astro Fuel Door Latch

1988 Astro Fuel Door Latch

Postby My1988Astro [OP] » May 11th 2011, 5:00am

I am looking for the piece that latches the fuel door when you close it. The door still has the hook on it but the little piece that moves when you pull the cable and that the fuel door hook catches into is broken off. I have put a small screw in its place. The release works from inside the van but I have to pull the release cable and reach over to the fuel door at the same time and push it in to allow the door to fully release. :think:

Yeah I know it's a small thing but I'm trying to make this very low mileage Astro last for atleast another 150,000. Currently I have only 78,160 on it. One small step for me and one giant leap for my wallet! Thx! 8-)
1988 Astro CL - Newly tinted windows, upgraded headliner w/overhead console and a newly aquired rear party couch w/drink caddy! Now if I could just get MaMa to go to the drive-in with me! ;-)

Currently 90,125 miles :-)
Original Poster [OP]
My1988Astro
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: My1988Astro has been a member for 3 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 3 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Swede's Boy
Year: 1988
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: only 87635 miles

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 1988 Astro Fuel Door Latch

Postby RECox286 » May 11th 2011, 2:01pm

Go to the JY and find a Gen 2 with a good fuel door, and same color if possible. Take the whole door assy and swap it with what you have now. Chevy removed the latch mechanism and replaced it with a

finger pull on the bottom of the door and a spring to hold everything open or closed, and the best part is that it is a direct fit, no mods necessary.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Re: 1988 Astro Fuel Door Latch

Postby My1988Astro [OP] » May 11th 2011, 2:37pm

Bob

Very cool indeed. Thx for the tip! Semi almost rainy day here. A nice break from the sun during th JY visit but maybe a little muddy. Roll up my pants a bit and get er done!

Have a safe and productive day!

Kelly in Kansas 8-)
1988 Astro CL - Newly tinted windows, upgraded headliner w/overhead console and a newly aquired rear party couch w/drink caddy! Now if I could just get MaMa to go to the drive-in with me! ;-)

Currently 90,125 miles :-)
Original Poster [OP]
My1988Astro
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: My1988Astro has been a member for 3 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 3 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Swede's Boy
Year: 1988
Extra Info: only 87635 miles