Using Expanding foam & fiberglass to fix rust holes?

Using Expanding foam & fiberglass to fix rust holes?

Postby fede [OP] » February 11th 2009, 9:58pm

Hi, it may seem a little stupid but i was thinking of patching up my rusted rocker panels with expanding spray foam then fiberglassing over it. I'm just looking for a cheap way of fixing them since i don't know how to weld and i don't wanna spend the money on labor to take it to a body shop. I know the rockers are an important part of the structure of the van. But this has be better than just doing nothing at all and letting it get even worse. I got this idea when i saw this guys 89 voyager on cardomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/321255/13 This guy is a genius!! all the custom stuff to his van he did himself. and he used that spray foam/fiberglass to create a custom front lip.
So what do you guys think?

These are some pictures of my rockers that i took almost a year ago (they have gotten much worse now :( ) :
http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 342dj4.jpg
http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 341dq5.jpg
91 Astro LT
Original Poster [OP]
fede
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: fede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Using Expanding foam & fiberglass to fix rust holes?

Postby astro355 » February 12th 2009, 12:53am

Yeah, that's really creative. You can do that with the rocker panels. Just make sure you cut out ALL of the rusted metal and treat the rest of it (POV-15) before you start with the foam. Luckily you have the running boards so that will help protect the fiberglass from all types of road debris.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Leeann_93 » February 12th 2009, 4:55am

Just a slight correction - that's POR-15 (it works great).
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 22
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby Gary » February 12th 2009, 5:23am

Tell ya what.Check the rear frame area around where the rear shocks mount to it.If you find that rusted out or cracked,might want to consider another van.Let us know what you find.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 124
Extra Info: high top

Postby Matrixx » February 12th 2009, 6:43am

Hi fede
Thanks for the links, that guy sure knows how to fabricate, great job. I think the running boards on your van were the main cause of the rust. They have a tendency to trap moisture in between the gaps and have no way to dry out properly.

As others have stated, I would really check the whole under carriage out to see if it's really going to be worth fixing it. If it's just the panels you posted that have that much rust on them, then you should be able to fix it without to much problems. Follow the advice of others that commented and please keep us updated, Thanks.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14

Postby Big_kid » February 12th 2009, 1:28pm

It's been done before. My F150 was full of it when I got it, it had even more when i got rid of it.
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 80
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby fede [OP] » February 12th 2009, 9:08pm

Thanks for the replies, i have checked the undercarriage and its in really good condition ill take a couple pictures when i get a chance, basically the only rusted area only my van is the rockers. I ordered the POR-15 kit that comes with a cleaner and prep today.
91 Astro LT
Original Poster [OP]
fede
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: fede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full yearsfede has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63

Postby astro355 » February 13th 2009, 12:50am

fede wrote:Thanks for the replies, i have checked the undercarriage and its in really good condition ill take a couple pictures when i get a chance, basically the only rusted area only my van is the rockers. I ordered the POR-15 kit that comes with a cleaner and prep today.

Is that the starter kit? If it is, it is not enough. Its never enough. If you can add to that order, I would suggest adding at least a quart of the POR-15 (thanks leeann).
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby toddb » March 9th 2009, 5:41pm

Hi, Ive done poor man body repair before. I did not use foam beacaus it will retain moisture and cause the repair to fail in short order. I used chrome tape ( it is like duct tape supper sticky and fairly stiff ).

1 - Grind arear to be repaired to bare metal
2 - remove as much rust and debris as possible behind/inside hole.
3 - treat inside of vehicle rust spot with some sort of rust paint (POR15)
4 - form chrome tape to cover hole
5 - use long and strong (kitty hair) fiber glass for first coat
6 - finish up with regular body filler
7 - paint inside of repair with more rust paint to keep water out.
8- people wont know it's not metal inside or out with out a magnet.

I've also used metal and rivets in the same fashion. both methods last for years and years if water can be keeped out of repair
1997 Safari 2WD 3:73 locking. 300,000 km - almost full load.
2000 Safari AWD 3:73 locking. 275,000 km - Full load.
toddb
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: toddb has been a member for 6 full yearstoddb has been a member for 6 full yearstoddb has been a member for 6 full yearstoddb has been a member for 6 full yearstoddb has been a member for 6 full yearstoddb has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14