Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Dutch Door

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jayindy 
#1 ·
Hi clan,

Button to open the dutch doors isn't always working ... sometimes I have to push like **** to make it work or I have to lock and unlock it several times to make it work.
:banghead:
Any suggestions to solve this very annoying problemo on our '99 Astro??

Thanks!

#8 ·
How have you made out? I wouldn't think that it would be too tough to replace the switch. When you hit the switch can you hear a thud indicating that it is not the switch but the latch and or solenoid?

I have a similar but different problem. my doors don't latch, only one latch (passenger side on flip up window) works and this keeps all three doors closed. I lubed the piss out of the latches - didn't help. If I take a screw diver and simulate latching them they don't catch - is there something I can do to make them "catch" again or do I need to replace them?

#9 ·
BigJ said:
I'm not getting anyware ... :banghead:

Is it possible to hotwire the button? :feedback:

Thanks!
Have you had any luck? Do you have the button in the dash to the right of the steering column? I have the same problem and it's my button because the keyless remote still opens the hatch.

#10 ·
I had the very same problem, the day i was looking at the van to buy it, the guy went to open the rear hatch and it stuck on him. There was times when i had to lightly tap it with a rubber hammer to get it free. I took the switch out of the door, very easy to remove. Then i coated the button with vaseline and took a heat gun to melt it and let it run inside the button. Then i pushed the button a bunch of times to really get the button coated. Put it back in and havent had a problem since.

#11 ·
And yes, you can "hotwire" your switch. I relocated my switch to my lower door above my license plate and i had to cut the plug off and run wires to extend it. When i did i wired in a switch that i got off a safari that was in a junk yard. So now i have a switch inside incase my button seize's again.

#12 ·
oops...looks like I posted new topic w/o searching, but to get the button out, did you remove the inside trim and unplug the actuator, then what? Did you have to remove any of the rear windshield wiper to get to the button? I have posted a pic of the back side w/o trim...I assume I'm on the right track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.