Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Spray-On Bed-liner

7K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  redfury 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have a 2002 AWD Astro. It is burgundy with the gold-colored cladding. I want some input on using spray on bed-liner to coat the cladding, front and rear bumper covers and the bottom portion of the van below the cladding.

Let me first say...I have ZERO experience doing any kind of body or paint work on vehicles of any kind. Is this something I could tackle and not have it look like a piece of crap? I love the matte black finish look for the lower part of the van, and hate the gold cladding...at least the color. :) I plan on taking the pin-striping off, too.

I just don't want it to look like crap when I'm done. Please help!!

IMG_0113.JPG

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have any first hand experience yet, but I can tell you selecting a product will be tricky. There is such a huge variety of spray on liners, all with pros and cons. Someone with actual experience with a specific product will need to chime in.

I'm going to be spraying the body directly this coming summer (no cladding). I spent months researching before I finally chose a product that suited my needs.

Problems include fading from UV and chipping. It would seem a perfect product doesn't exist. The better ones spray on at several hundred degrees so you will need to settle for something that won't melt the cladding. I suspect you will be able to find something that looks good but will require frequent maintenance. In your case something that rolled on would probably work great and give a nice textured look.

Surface prep will be a key factor for success.

(Sorry I have no real info)

#3 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I have never under stood rough flat black on the outside of a ride. To each their own of coarse but I have no idea which product best suits your needs. Kinda sorry I even wasted your time reading this now that I think about it.

#4 ·
Thanks Cargo and DRZ for your input. :shock:

Anyone else? Anyone have any experience? I'm thinking about buying an extra set of cladding from the local salvage yard and doing it to that cladding and installing it. That way if it doesn't turn out I can always put the original stuff back on.

Maybe instead of using bedliner, I'll paint it matte black...

As for what the appeal is, DRZ...tell me what looks better, this:

awning2.jpeg

or this:

blueblack4.jpg

#5 ·
Bed liner will work better than paint on the plastic trim. I saw a guy at work do it to the entire body of his Bronco 2. It has the look your looking for and it is tough. Just buy a can of different types and spray on a scrap piece untill you find the consistency your looking for.I have seen from pebbly finish to just a dull lightly wrinkled black with the different brands.
4 wheeler guys do it here because their trucks are hammered and it hides the terrible body work they have done after smacking trees and such. I never use it so don't even ask me brands. I like paint.
POR15 is a satin finish and you can hit it with a hammer and it wont chip. It is expensive but you get what you pay for. I would use that if I wanted what your doing.

#6 ·
Sounds like a solid plan to experiment on JY cladding. When I do mine it's either gonna be awesome or a massive disaster. I will be spraying mine halfway up the sides and across the hood. Bra and panties. Maybe a strip up between the rear doors too ;)

I personally don't like bling on my offroad vehicles so I opt for dull and black whenever possible. Others want mirror finish accessories. To each their own. Most bedliners can be painted. Some can be mixed to a specified color too.

#7 ·
Well if i had a van that looked that good i would not touch the paint thats for sure , i do like the red/gold van much better than the blue one , maybe its because cars get so rusty around here, but many get the bottom painted matt black to hide rust ,so no matter how good a job you do it will always look like the bottom was painted to hide something , your van will loose value as well ,with that being said when i want something i dont give a crap about what others will think and i go for it so.... , watch videos on you tube on how to paint ,tons of very usefull tips and ideas , your idea of getting extra cladding is a very good one ,that way you may revers the process anytime , just make sure you know what your getting into before you start .

#11 ·
I second the idea of using plasti dip. It's a great way to learn how to paint because the impact is so much more lessened if you screw up, and if it works out, it'll last for a number of years..plus it's relatively cheap.

#13 ·
I wouldn't compare bedliner to plastidip. But since you are painting the cladding and not the body it my be the better option. Folks who use bedliner typically apply it directly to the painted sheetmetal for scratch and ding protection. Cladding is already your scratch and ding protection. The only advantage to bedliner on the cladding would be a lumpy texture if desired.

#15 ·
grond said:
I hear what your saying cargocrawler. I want that flat, matte finish, but not the "texture". Looking for a smooth surface that will be added protection as well as make Vanly look less like grocery-getter.
Sand it down really well.
Clean the crap outta it.
Use a quality primer.
Use "trim paint"

3 coats minimum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#16 ·
I know this is a late reply, but I just bed lined my astro on the roof and up the sides to the belt line. It turned out awesome and the textured finish increased the gas mileage by 1-2 mpg. Weight is not a significant factor the whole kit might weigh 15 pounds in the box. I used a kit called Rapter by Upol. It was bought through a car paint company. It comes in a box with 4 bottles of texture and a catalyst that you mix into each bottle to activate the paint as you spray it on. It also comes with a spray nozzle to use attached directly to the mixed bottle. I have used it on multiple truck bumpers, jeep bodies and as a floor coat over plywood on a boat. Works great and holds up. As in all paints, prep is the key! It comes in black or in a tintable base Color. I found it for sale on Amazon. The original color is the 3/4 silver stripe.

The next step is a overland van 2" lift and 235 tires. I will KD tint the front and rear running lights and darken the stock wheels in some way. Maybe a small bull bar in the front with some lights and some sort of expeditionary roof rack.

Attachments

#17 ·
pogyhouse said:
I know this is a late reply, but I just bed lined my astro on the roof and up the sides to the belt line. It turned out awesome and the textured finish increased the gas mileage by 1-2 mpg...
That sounds oddly backwards. You got BETTER MPGs after adding the textured finish? My MPGs lowered with just matte textured paint.

Lump

#19 ·
Pogy, I love it, looks like a great color combo.

#22 ·
2014-06-08 11.45.26.jpg
Another inexpensive alternative that is popular with rat rodders and what I'm painting my boat with is John Deere Blitz Black. It's 50 bucks a gallon ( cheap! ) and 44 bucks for the hardener ( expensive! ), but for a hundred bucks, you get a hardened enamel designed for implements. It looks awesome, and I'd suggest buying it directly off the internet instead of a local John deere dealer, that way you are getting fresh paint. the quart I bought at the dealer I had to really mix up and strain before I used it due to sitting on a shelf. Use the hardener! Spray paint is enamel paint without the hardener. You need to use what you've mixed within the day, but I was happy with the results so far...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.