Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Slippy driver window - off track?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  castlerox 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The new Van is pretty sweet. A few things are popping up here and there.

The Driver window was working fine for about a week but now it doesn't engage using the button. I can however slide it up and down placing my hand flat on the window and pushing it. It doesn't seem to be assisted or locked into position by the motor. I can hear the motor working when I hit the button.

I tried searching but I get a no results message (I think this is an error)

Anyone troubleshooting tips (especially w/o having to take off the panel ;))?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Uh, sorry to say, but the only way to give it the old eyeball is to, you guessed it,

remove the decorative panel covering the bad boy. I know you said not to tell

you this, but I'm afraid that is the only way to get you to the problem, and likely

what you would end up doing anyway. So...don't prolong the pain. I suggest if

you don't have a panel removal tool, that you invest in one before you start

or damage the panel. ("Plastic !") Once you are ready, and all the other 'easier'

stuff is out of the way, start at the bottom, and be as careful as you can. I lay on

the ground at this point of the process, looking up at the bottom of the door. There

should be about 8 or 10 plastic fasteners that need to be dislodged, after which

the panel can be lifted upwards to disengage it from the door itself. NOTE: this

does get easier, once you have done it, and have an idea where the fasterers are,

and how the panel attaches to the door...and yes, it goes back together quicker

than it comes apart ! (but don't be too quick to be putting it back together, at

least not until you are sure the window works the way it should...Groan !)

Good hunting

Uncle Bob

#3 ·
The window may have unglued from the rail (windshield urethane could fix this), or like mines were , the rail that olds the window to the regulator had seperated from it because of rust , replacing the regulator and the window is needed in this case unless there is enough meet left to weld it back together , and last that i can think of is the motor or regulator gears have failed ,i realy doubt its the case tho , and there are any other reasons that i know crap about , but in all cases tho i have to agree with uncle bob ,you will have to take the door panel off wich isent a big deal ,just be careful not to break all the clips ,there is a full description on how to on this site with tools you need and what not ,good luck.

#4 ·
Ah thanks brothers!

I tend to like to have all the necessary tools once she is open… so are you suggesting I should have a motor ordered? I will get the pry tool and extra clips ;)

#5 ·
Get the tool(s), wait on everything else until you give it the evil eyeball inspection to see what

the problem is, exactly.

Uncle Bob

#8 ·
Crown King - Yes. Several years ago. My Astro in stock form. No lift, stock wheels and tires. Passed several open mouthed jeepers creepers driving gold card posers and one guy on a mtn bike coming DOWN.

I actually think just taking the Castle Hot Springs Rd loop all the way through is tougher on a vehicle than going up the rocks to Crown King.

Lump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.