Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Vent Shades......

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  KeystoneKid 
#1 ·
Anyone have a preference on the type of vent shades to use. Inside or outside channel? I personally think the inside channel look better, however I notice that most use the outside type that tape on the door itself. Any reason?

#3 ·
We got outside shades for our van.

From what I have read before making decision, the inside one' s don't hold in place that well and they were also twice as much money. As from experience I can tell outside ones held in place extremely well.

#5 ·
I have had both styles and found the ones that fasten on the outside the glue has come loose and whistle or come off. The ones that are installed under the window seal when locked in the grove have never been lost. Also considering I live in Floriduh old sol has a tendency to ruin every thing in sight. I have not installed either sets but have been installed prior to me. Luck for me I did find last week at "U" pull it a dash cover cost $1.25 and I run it through a wash cycle looks good for the price.

#6 ·
I had always bought the outside ones for my other 4 vans but I accidentally ordered the in channel ones for the '01 Safari I bought in March... all the outside ones came loose at some point and had to be re-taped, so far the in channel ones are holding perfectly, and I noticed they are actually molded exactly the same as the outside mount type, the only thing that is different is the mounting tape is applied to the opposite side of the vent shade...

In channel:

http://www.carparts.com/details/GMC/Saf ... 92006.html

Exterior:

http://www.carparts.com/details/GMC/Saf ... 92006.html

So far I prefer the in channel type, but they have only been on the van since late March so I'm not sure how long they will hold up...

#11 ·
I have outside mount AVS vent visors on mine. They are painted the same color as the van. I like them, no issues to speak of. Having them painted body color gives the appearance of smaller front windows, kinda gives it a "chopped" look. Of course, you could do this with inside channel mount ones as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.