paint code mystery

paint code mystery

Postby berdynumnum [OP] » July 11th 2010, 5:11am

I seem to have some oddball paint code for my van.....the sticker on the pass door is clearly a 528E....yet all of the local paint suppliers only list a 528F for this vehicle. Van is a 99 safari sl awd. Van still has its original paint but due to some clearcoat failure I have to respray a few panels and cannot find an exact match. I believe the color is called a dark bronze mist. The 528E and F appear to be different in that they have some different metallics. A shop I went to a few years ago ( no longer around anymore) to get spray paint put in cans for touch ups( bad idea by the way.....great for short term but just no long term durability) we ran into the same problem but they had a portable color chip chart....we took it to the van...they had several similar variations on the same chart and we were able to get an exact match. Unfortunately, all the local paint suppliers seem to have are the domestic and import colors color books but nothing like the color chart the "no longer around place did". They can mix a 528F but this is not an exact match or at least it is different enough as to be noticeable different. Beyond that they can't help me out.

Anyone have any ideas or will I be slowly be repainting the van panel by panel to 528F?

cheers and thanks
Original Poster [OP]
berdynumnum
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: berdynumnum has been a member for 4 full yearsberdynumnum has been a member for 4 full yearsberdynumnum has been a member for 4 full yearsberdynumnum has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 99 sl awd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: paint code mystery

Postby LEVE » July 11th 2010, 5:26am

Several automotive paint places and LAP stores will be able to shoot the paint with a gun that will tell them the make-up of the coloration. Check around... you'll find one that can do it locally.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby Munken » July 11th 2010, 7:01am

Check this: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/choosecolor/choosecolor.aspx?year=1999&make=Gm&model=Safari
Looks like there is no 528E.
I will check at work tomorrow and see if I can find it.
"Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer"
Munken
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Munken has been a member for 5 full yearsMunken has been a member for 5 full yearsMunken has been a member for 5 full yearsMunken has been a member for 5 full yearsMunken has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): Munken the lunatic
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Munken » July 12th 2010, 4:37pm

I checked the Standox, Du Pont and PPG database of paint. And there is no 528E.... :think:
There are a 528F named "Dark Bronze mist". Standox have 3 variations of that color. Du Pont have only 1, PPG have 6.
I think it should be possible to get a good match with someone of the variations.

Or if you can find someone that can shoot the paint with a gun/camera.
Good Luck :thumbup:
"Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer"
Munken
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Years of Membership: Munken has been a member for 5 full yearsMunken has been a member for 5 full yearsMunken has been a member for 5 full yearsMunken has been a member for 5 full yearsMunken has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): Munken the lunatic
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby astroturf » July 12th 2010, 11:19pm

Munken wrote:Check this: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/choosecolor/choosecolor.aspx?year=1999&make=Gm&model=Safari
Looks like there is no 528E.
I will check at work tomorrow and see if I can find it.

Great Link Munken

Thanks, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby eharston » January 5th 2011, 12:37pm

Old post, but FWIW, my 2000 Astro van has paint code 528E as well.
eharston
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: eharston has been a member for 3 full yearseharston has been a member for 3 full yearseharston has been a member for 3 full years

Postby rev_les » January 5th 2011, 10:27pm

:think: .............and the plot thickens...... :lol:
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby Ripper » January 9th 2011, 5:23am

Any "decent" paint supplier should have a spectrophotometer and variant decks. If they don't, find one that does. Before I had my paint mixing machine, I used to need those all the time. My supplier would come to the shop and find the right color every time.

It sounds to me like your color is a variant of the usual color and that is your entire problem. I don't know why you'd have an E instead of the usual F, but if no one can find it in their color charts, it may have been a "special order" color or a limited edition.
Ripper
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Ripper has been a member for 3 full yearsRipper has been a member for 3 full yearsRipper has been a member for 3 full years

Postby tank2 » August 28th 2013, 7:57pm

I know, old post, but I also have a 528e paint code. Did you resolve your issue?
tank2
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: tank2 has been a member for 2 full yearstank2 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): tank2
Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT