Lubricating the sliding door

Lubricating the sliding door

Postby mrosspa [OP] » July 23rd 2010, 5:58pm

What is recommended to use to lubricate the sliding door, and where are the lubrication points.

Is there anything special I should pay attention to, to avoid problems?

Michael
Original Poster [OP]
mrosspa
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: mrosspa has been a member for 6 full yearsmrosspa has been a member for 6 full yearsmrosspa has been a member for 6 full yearsmrosspa has been a member for 6 full yearsmrosspa has been a member for 6 full yearsmrosspa has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 12

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Lubricating the sliding door

Postby chevy57bert » July 23rd 2010, 7:19pm

mrosspa wrote:What is recommended to use to lubricate the sliding door, and where are the lubrication points.

Michael

I would clean up the sliding door brackets with the rollers on it..+ the rails they traveling thru..
Mud will let the door scream when open or closing it.. or if the rubber shell is broken / gone..
Those Roller bearings can not be lubricate.
If they are noisy , replace them.. (expensive..)
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: chevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): Bertjuh
Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Ext 4.3L rwd

Postby jeff's93astro » July 23rd 2010, 8:27pm

where can you find replacement bearings i've had no luck
88 Silverado 5.7L RWD 284,000 miles (going 383 soon)
93 Astro CS 4.3L RWD 230,000 miles (89 Astro 4.3)
ImageImage
jeff's93astro
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: jeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 53
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby chevy57bert » July 23rd 2010, 8:33pm

jeff's93astro wrote:where can you find replacement bearings i've had no luck

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ This is where I order parts..
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Years of Membership: chevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full years

Postby jeff's93astro » July 23rd 2010, 8:41pm

they only show the upper roller. and not the bottom one nor the rear. or all 3 rollers the same
88 Silverado 5.7L RWD 284,000 miles (going 383 soon)
93 Astro CS 4.3L RWD 230,000 miles (89 Astro 4.3)
ImageImage
jeff's93astro
Years of Membership: jeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 53
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby chevy57bert » July 23rd 2010, 9:32pm

Yeb. I didn`t know that....
Just ordered some Barndoor stops over there. and weatherstrip..
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby cowboydan » July 23rd 2010, 10:09pm

chevy57bert wrote:
mrosspa wrote:What is recommended to use to lubricate the sliding door, and where are the lubrication points.

Michael

I would clean up the sliding door brackets with the rollers on it..+ the rails they traveling thru..
Mud will let the door scream when open or closing it.. or if the rubber shell is broken / gone..
Those Roller bearings can not be lubricate.
If they are noisy , replace them.. (expensive..)

define can not be lubricated. if your refering to packing with grease, i agree. but i can clearly see all three roller bearings on my van and the wd40 straw has no trouble getting the juice to the rollers. when i got my van, i could bearly open the sliding door. now even my 4 yr old girl can open the door and it rolls smooth. i have used just wd40...jmo
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby rev_les » July 23rd 2010, 10:54pm

I use chainwax on mine . ( you lube motorcycle chains with it, it smells like cosmoline)
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby chevy57bert » July 23rd 2010, 11:27pm

cowboydan wrote:define can not be lubricated.

The bearings I have are sealed and have grease in them already..
They even have a kind off rubber tire to keep the noise down.. ( bought them in a Bearing shop)
Just the lower big sliding door bracket comes from GM. (about 75 USD)
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby RECox286 » July 23rd 2010, 11:43pm

Lets say that the sliding door hardware is suseptable to a variety of use and abuse. The best way I have found to keep the rolling stock in order is to clean out the lower recessed track and roller assembly with liberal doses of compressed air, followed by liberal doses of CRC or WD40. (The trick here is to use a lubricant that will dry, so as to not attract dirt.) Blow out the rear roller/latch and track assembly (middle of the door) and follow up with the same lubricant as afore mentioned. The upper roller should only need a few squirts of lube, but a quick spray of the entire track will serve to keep down metal to metal wear.

While discussing the sliding door, also inspect the rear roller/latch assy to ensure the "popout" spring is not missing or broken. It's the gizzy that pops the rear of the sliding door out when the handle is activated to "open".

It's a good idea to clean and lubricate all the locks, levers, hinges, rollers, and slides on a regular basis. Especially when you consider the type of material that is used on the door handles. Seems like they were designed to fail and I've replaced more than a few over the years. When I do an oil/filter change every 5K, (about 3x/yr), I also lubricate all the locks, etc, and last but not least I add a can of injector cleaner to the fuel.

Needless to say, the doors, etc work as advertised each and every time. Keep on truck'n

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby cowboydan » July 24th 2010, 3:39am

chevy57bert wrote:
cowboydan wrote:define can not be lubricated.

The bearings I have are sealed and have grease in them already..
They even have a kind off rubber tire to keep the noise down.. ( bought them in a Bearing shop)
Just the lower big sliding door bracket comes from GM. (about 75 USD)

i can't tell if mine are sealed or not. but mine do have a rubber coating. im guessing when the rubber wears out i'll have to replace, but for now the door works great with wd40
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby 979roadrunner » July 24th 2010, 4:35am

I use spray silicone lubricant. Much better than WD IMO. When the propelant WD uses flashes off, so does most of the 'lube' (penetrant, actualy)
I'm not old, I'm vintage!
979roadrunner
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: 979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Art, Mr Vintage
Extra Info: 4.3V6 RWD Conver

Postby chevy57bert » July 24th 2010, 4:13pm

cowboydan wrote:but mine do have a rubber coating. im guessing when the rubber wears out i'll have to replace

The rubber coating does the trick to keep a quiet rolling sliding door :D
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby RECox286 » July 24th 2010, 8:46pm

FYI,

WD 40: Trade mark for a penetrating lubricant, with solvent qualities. Discovered on the fortieth concoction which was supposed to be a Water Displacing agent. Turns out that it did a whole lot more than what they originally wanted it to do, including displacing water. Some mechanics use it as a homeopathic pain reliever for arthritis. Dunno if it really works or if it is placebo as an Rx, but I do know that when I get it on my hands, even when the stuff dries, my hands still feel oily. Silicone is not a penetrant, or a water displacing agent, but I will grant you that it also feels slippery as all getout when I spray my hands. Silicone is really great for rubber nourishment, mounting tires, keeping door seals working, and the like as it also lubes after the carrier dries out.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby 979roadrunner » July 24th 2010, 10:29pm

I know all about WD's devolpment, it was developed at the request of the US military (specificaly the Air Force) and, as you say, does many things well (might have to try it on my arthritic knees, now :lol: )
I also know it'll ruin bicycle and motorcycle chains (even pre o & x ring types) and didn't do squat for the squeeking sticking door on my boss's Astro, whereas silicone spray lubricant fixed it. WD worked great, however, on the stuck throttle body throttle shaft some yahoo brought me after he'd sprayed it with white grease and made it worse :lol:
Note that I didn't say it had no lubricating ability, just that it's more a penetrant.
Also a solvent. That could wash away the original lubricant in the bearing. Like it does on bicycle and motorcycle chains.
979roadrunner
Years of Membership: 979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years

Postby astroturf » July 24th 2010, 10:32pm

RECox286 wrote:Some mechanics use it as a homeopathic pain reliever for arthritis. Dunno if it really works or if it is placebo as an Rx, but I do know that when I get it on my hands, even when the stuff dries, my hands still feel oily.
Bob

I know, If I get a lil down, I huff it...

It always helps me feel better...

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby rev_les » July 25th 2010, 1:01am

astroturf wrote:
RECox286 wrote:Some mechanics use it as a homeopathic pain reliever for arthritis. Dunno if it really works or if it is placebo as an Rx, but I do know that when I get it on my hands, even when the stuff dries, my hands still feel oily.
Bob

I know, If I get a lil down, I huff it...

It always helps me feel better...

Jim

LMAO, good one 'Turf. BTW, silicone isn't good for rubber, it seals in any contaminants . It's also one of the worst things you can treat your vinyl or leather interior pieces with. It's great for waterproofing shoes, boots,tents.................and the list goes on.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby LEVE » July 25th 2010, 2:53am

Introducing the WD40 Polka:

LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby 979roadrunner » July 25th 2010, 6:22am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
979roadrunner

Postby chevy57bert » July 25th 2010, 11:30am

jeff's93astro wrote:where can you find replacement bearings i've had no luck

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&y ... rouptype=B

15714038 104 USD The lower roller

Didn`t found parts numbers for the 2 others ..
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Next