Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Tinted my tail lights

32K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Slime 
#1 ·
Earlier this year I tinted the tails on my Buick and I really like how they came out. They went from a lipsticky red color to a deep ruby that almost matches the paint color. Before and after...
before small.jpg

after small.jpg

I decided to do the tails on the Astro and I think it came out pretty nice. Some cars and car colors look good with darker tint, for mine I decided on a real moderate tint, just enough to tone down the color to a nice deep ruby red. The other plus is after clear-coating and buffing they have a real jewel-like appearance.

Here's a before pic with the stock tails, really dull and that lipsticky red color:
before.jpg

Here's an after pic; I had a hard time getting true colors with the light outside today but this one is not bad.
after1.jpg

Another pic, you can see how much better they look buffed out.
after2.jpg

I've done a few sets of these now, and this time I took a lot of pics. If anyone is interested I might write up a how-to.

See less See more
#27 ·
A trick I used as a detailer when removing graphics, such as demobing a cop car, was to drag a safety razor blade backwards over the polished concrete floor. It dulled it enough the it wouldn't catch the paint, but was still sharp enough to get under the graphics. Made it a lot easier to do.

#28 ·
Luthiers use single edge razor blades a lot to level drop shellac and drop CA glue repairs.

Turn the edge of the blade just like you would with a cabinet scraper. Draw it across a round shafted screwdriver or similar so that it develops a burr on ONE side of the blade. Then draw that side of the blade into the material you're leveling. When I do it I deliberately round the corners of the blade to avoid scratches if I should drop an edge a bit.

I'm not exactly sure how that might work on something like hardened tint on a plastic lens. But I think that once you got a "strip" of tint shaved off, the rest would follow using whatever kind of blade you chose.

Lump

#29 ·
I've read this thread a few times over the last year and a half. I have to agree, great job, Kenny. The lights on your Buick and your Astro look great. Just the look I'd go for. I don't really like that really dark or pure black look, plus there's the safety concern. I sometimes see people driving at night with very dark tinted tail lights, head lights and turn signal lenses, and I think they're way too dim to be safe, especially from a distance.

I'm thinking about getting a set of spare tail lights from the junk yard to practice on. I want something different than stock, maybe LED tail lights. Or maybe lightly tinted stock lights with LED bulbs. Probably comes out to the same price when you add up paint, supplies and LED bulbs.

Quick question for you or anyone else in the know... would it be a bad thing if I did not scrape off the lettering? If I find a weathered set of tail lights, they might be dull enough (I'd still sand them though). And if I tinted as lightly as you did, but did not mask off the tail light, so you think it would be OK, or would the while part be too dark? Finally, could I skip the final wet sanding, after the clearcoat is on? I'm nervous about messing up an otherwise glossy finish. Or could I use a gentle scratch remover and buff with that? Thanks! :D

#30 ·
Sounds easy , but to me something worth doing is worth doin right. So i wanna make sure i fully understamd befor i proceed. Did you sand by hand or machine or does it matter? Is wet sanding only done by a machine if so what type would I need minimally to get it done? Since I never even heard of wet sanding till now should I not bother with this project. I have the patience to follow each step but the ocd to critisize the finished product till I end up smashing them with a sledge and goin to buy new light if I don't like the outcome, I kno it sounds pretty hostile but its all good intention some things should just not be seen :) let me know what you think maybe ill go buy a salvaged set and try on them first n just keep a spare set handy? Thanks for the post I thought this would have been way out of my realm of possibilty

#33 ·
Jemz said:
Sounds easy , but to me something worth doing is worth doin right. So i wanna make sure i fully understamd befor i proceed. Did you sand by hand or machine or does it matter? Is wet sanding only done by a machine if so what type would I need minimally to get it done? Since I never even heard of wet sanding till now should I not bother with this project. I have the patience to follow each step but the ocd to critisize the finished product till I end up smashing them with a sledge and goin to buy new light if I don't like the outcome, I kno it sounds pretty hostile but its all good intention some things should just not be seen :) let me know what you think maybe ill go buy a salvaged set and try on them first n just keep a spare set handy? Thanks for the post I thought this would have been way out of my realm of possibilty
Not being a hatter or trying to step on this persons toes.
I would just like to inform the users that altering your headlights, taillights is just another reason for the police to pull you over.
You can buy tinted out tail and headlights that are DOT approved from various sites.
Myself I plan on getting a set of blacked out taillights from eBay that use your own bulbs and sockets.
Some are built in LED.
Again my apologies to the original post. Just trying to give info.[emoji56]

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

#34 ·
If you look at the nearly black taillights on the charger that is being used for police service. I would find it hard to justify the police pulling some one over for tinted taillights.

Nearly every manufacturer has jumped on the dark taillights bandwagon.

#35 ·
MI_Ghost said:
If you look at the nearly black taillights on the charger that is being used for police service. I would find it hard to justify the police pulling some one over for tinted taillights.

First comparing what's legal to you to what's on a police car is not wise.
So I guess since they break the speed limit, make illegal lane changes and block the Duncan Donuts parking lot we can to. LOL
Anyway read this NY law. Pay particular attention to "Approved by the Commisioner"
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse".
Except as otherwise provided herein, it shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway or street in this state any motor vehicle, or combination of motor vehicle and trailer, so constructed or so loaded that the driver thereof is unable to indicate clearly by hand signals to approaching and following traffic his intention of stopping or turning, unless such motor vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be equipped with directional signals approved by the commissioner, provided, however, it shall be unlawful after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two to operate on any public highway or street in this state any motor vehicle registered in this state, manufactured or assembled after said date unless such vehicle be equipped with directional signals approved by the commissioner. It shall also be unlawful to fail to cause such signals to be maintained, at all times in good and sufficient working order. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to special purpose commercial motor vehicles registered under schedule F of subdivision seven of section four hundred one of this chapter or to a vehicle or combination of vehicles lawfully operated under registration issued, under section four hundred fifteen of this chapter or under a similar provision of the law of another jurisdiction.

18-a. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with and every motor vehicle registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred sixty-five, and designated as a nineteen hundred sixty-six or subsequent year model, shall be equipped with a device, approved by the commissioner, by means of which the operator may cause the two front and two rear directional signals to flash simultaneously for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing. The provisions of this subdivision requiring that certain motor vehicles shall be so equipped shall not apply to special purpose commercial motor vehicles registered under schedule F of subdivision seven of section four hundred one or to a vehicle or combination of vehicles lawfully operated under registration issued under section four hundred fifteen

Second, you said it yourself " MANUFACTURER " they make DOT approved parts.

#36 ·
nyjett32 said:
MI_Ghost said:

So I guess since they break the speed limit, make illegal lane changes and block the Duncan Donuts parking lot we can to. LOL
Anyway read this NY law. Pay particular attention to "Approved by the Commisioner"
Except as otherwise provided herein, it shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway or street in this state any motor vehicle, or combination of motor vehicle and trailer, so constructed or so loaded that the driver thereof is unable to indicate clearly by hand signals to approaching and following traffic his intention of stopping or turning, unless such motor vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be equipped with directional signals approved by the commissioner, provided, however, it shall be unlawful after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two to operate on any public highway or street in this state any motor vehicle registered in this state, manufactured or assembled after said date unless such vehicle be equipped with directional signals approved by the commissioner. It shall also be unlawful to fail to cause such signals to be maintained, at all times in good and sufficient working order. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to special purpose commercial motor vehicles registered under schedule F of subdivision seven of section four hundred one of this chapter or to a vehicle or combination of vehicles lawfully operated under registration issued, under section four hundred fifteen of this chapter or under a similar provision of the law of another jurisdiction.

18-a. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with and every motor vehicle registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred sixty-five, and designated as a nineteen hundred sixty-six or subsequent year model, shall be equipped with a device, approved by the commissioner, by means of which the operator may cause the two front and two rear directional signals to flash simultaneously for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing. The provisions of this subdivision requiring that certain motor vehicles shall be so equipped shall not apply to special purpose commercial motor vehicles registered under schedule F of subdivision seven of section four hundred one or to a vehicle or combination of vehicles lawfully operated under registration issued under section four hundred fifteen

Interesting that you quote a law that says absolutely nothing about color.
Not much help with your stance that tinted lights are illegal.

DOT Compliant dark smoke tail lights are readily available from the aftermarket further making your stance on the issue a very slippery ledge to be standing on.

Federal Law reguarding Vehicle Lighting
https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/TP-108-13.pdf

12.2) TAlLLAMP TEST PROCEDURE
12.2.3) COLOR OF LIGHT
The device shall be tested for color in accordance with the general Color Test
procedure as outlined in Appendix F. Either the visual or tristimulus method may be
used. The color of the device shall be red as specified in the procedure.

APPENDIX F
GENERAL TEST PROCEDURE
COLOR TEST

RED COLOR LENS
Insert the red limit filter for evaluating apparent red color lenses into the visual
comparator, and adjust the moveable diffusion glass to equalize the intensity of
the reference standard and the specimen. Evaluate the color of the red light by
determining that the color is not less saturated (paler), yellower or bluer than the
limit filter standard.

#37 ·
MI_Ghost said:
nyjett32 said:
MI_Ghost said:

Interesting that you quote a law that says absolutely nothing about color.
Not much help with your stance that tinted lights are illegal.

DOT Compliant dark smoke tail lights are readily available from the aftermarket further making your stance on the issue a very slippery ledge to be standing on.

Federal Law reguarding Vehicle Lighting
https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/TP-108-13.pdf

12.2) TAlLLAMP TEST PROCEDURE
12.2.3) COLOR OF LIGHT
The device shall be tested for color in accordance with the general Color Test
procedure as outlined in Appendix F. Either the visual or tristimulus method may be
used. The color of the device shall be red as specified in the procedure.

APPENDIX F
GENERAL TEST PROCEDURE
COLOR TEST

RED COLOR LENS
Insert the red limit filter for evaluating apparent red color lenses into the visual
comparator, and adjust the moveable diffusion glass to equalize the intensity of
the reference standard and the specimen. Evaluate the color of the red light by
determining that the color is not less saturated (paler), yellower or bluer than the
limit filter standard.
I really don't understand you guys, but that's OK
Everyone conveniently overlooking the fact that I'm not talking about color I'm talking about the alteration in general of the headlight or taillight. Which means changing it in any way off the shelf.
And Federal, State, and local law are all different.
Just trying to give people something to research before hand especially if the live in a place with aggressive or bored police

#38 ·
As you put it.
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse"
State and local law CAN NOT supersede Federal Law.
As the regulations regarding lights are clearly defined by federal law. No law enforcement officer can impose a stricter law based on the grounds of alteration. As long as the lights show red when lit up. They are legal!

Based on your personal opinion that altering a vehicles appearance is illegal. It would stand that replacing the wheels and tires with custom wheels and better tires to improve appearance and performance would also be illegal. There is a multi-billion dollar industry based solely on altering vehicles which is highly regulated to make sure it conforms to what laws may apply.

You might want to check if your black painted wheels are legal.
They most certainly are altered from the way they came off the shelf.

Clearly your research has been rather limited and is based on naive personal opinion.
Please stop trying to pass it off as fact.

#39 ·
MI_Ghost said:
As you put it.
As the regulations regarding lights are clearly defined by federal law. No law enforcement officer can impose a stricter law based on the grounds of alteration. As long as the lights show red when lit up. They are legal!

Based on your personal opinion that altering a vehicles appearance is illegal. It would stand that replacing the wheels and tires with custom wheels and better tires to improve appearance and performance would also be illegal. There is a multi-billion dollar industry based solely on altering vehicles which is highly regulated to make sure it conforms to what laws may apply.

Clearly your research has been rather limited and is based on naive personal opinion.
I cannot believe I got sucked into this.
If State and local law can't superced Federal law please explain
Pot is legal in some states but not under Federal law.
Illegal Aliens are safe in some places called Sanctuary cities, because of that cities laws protecting them.
There are to many contradictions to list but it is quite obvious that it is possible.
Every municipality has there own laws and interpretation of State laws. Everyone should just be informed of theirs.

The rediculous part was the comparison of painted wheels to altered head or taillights.
There are standards for the amount of light and the distance it can be seen, that is emitted from such devices.
There are no COLOR of wheel standards.

And the sale of plastic covers for your licence plates are also big business but they can also be illegal.
Don't allow manufacturers to interpret your local laws.

#40 ·
nyjett32 said:
MI_Ghost said:
As you put it.

I cannot believe I got sucked into this.
29 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico all allow medical use. But it is still illegal under federal law, and yes you can still be prosecuted for it(ridiculous as it is). Yes we have the audio tapes that prove that it was yet another race based policy(thanks Nixon!) based on lies, but we can't seem to get past it on the federal level for some reason.

nyjett32 said:
Illegal Aliens are safe in some places called Sanctuary cities, because of that cities laws protecting them.
That isn't how it works. Undocumented immigrants are still violating civil(NOT criminal) law and are able to be deported(doesn't even go through the judicial system), regardless of the state laws. Though you might be surprised at how few people know how any part of our government works, and our immigration system and issues are probably one of the least understood.

nyjett32 said:
The rediculous part was the comparison of painted wheels to altered head or taillights.
There are standards for the amount of light and the distance it can be seen, that is emitted from such devices.
Quite ridiculous indeed, the two are not related, not even close.

nyjett32 said:
And the sale of plastic covers for your licence plates are also big business but they can also be illegal.
And 'off-road' products that they MFGs know are used on-road, it's the users responsibility to ensure that what they use is DOT approved for on-road use where required.

#41 ·
nyjett32 said:
Myself I plan on getting a set of blacked out taillights from eBay that use your own bulbs and sockets.
Some are built in LED.
Again my apologies to the original post. Just trying to give info.
Did you even read the original post?
kennyj said:
Before thinking about tinting too dark, check out your local/state laws. Don't want to get anyone pulled over!
Was that not enough caveat, you had to take a dump on a (7 year old) thread by trolling a bunch of unrelated legal and political crap?
I'd love to be there when you're trying to tell the cop writing you a ticket that your "blacked out" taillights are legal because an ebay seller said they were, lol!

Btw, state laws may vary on vehicle lights and equipment, but in all 50 states, it is illegal for a non-lawyer to give legal advice.

#42 ·
kennyj said:
Btw, state laws may vary on vehicle lights and equipment, but in all 50 states, it is illegal for a non-lawyer to give legal advice.
ROFL, however, it is completely legal for anyone to provide legal information.

Legal advice = practicing law = need to be a lawyer
Legal information = talking, discussing, shooting the breeze about laws = anyone who wants to.

Now lets get back to some tail, lights.

#43 ·
nyjett32 said:
Legally presented and voted on to amend federal law. Be rest assured that it is highly regulated by federal agencies. Violations are dealt with under the same federal law.

nyjett32 said:
The enormous amount of resources needed make enforcement nearly impossible. US Marshall's are not bound by sanctuary cities.

nyjett32 said:
There are to many contradictions to list but it is quite obvious that it is possible.
Every municipality has there own laws and interpretation of State laws. Everyone should just be informed of theirs.
Another blanket response to attempt to support a weak position.

nyjett32 said:
Agreed and further emphasizes the ridiculous nature of your stance based solely on alteration.

nyjett32 said:
Finally a viable argument to support your position.

nyjett32 said:
Laws are not supposed to be open for interpretation. They should clearly define the standards they intend to regulate.

#45 ·
MI_Ghost said:
Laws are not supposed to be open for interpretation. They should clearly define the standards they intend to regulate.
Never dealt with law did you. Interpretation is how the courts get away with the crap they do. Basic honesty and facts are not part of the program. Judges rulings are interpretations of law. And it varies on who you are and know.

1. are you a member of law enforcement.

2. are you related to a member of law enforcement.

3. how much money do you have.

This is what the interpretation is based on.

Any combination of 1, 2, or 3 innocent.

None of the above guilty.

No mysteries.

#46 ·
sixsix said:
AstroWill said:
... Yes we have the audio tapes that prove that it was yet another race based policy ...
Mind expanding on this tasty Snippet ??
Here is one snippet, there is more out there if you choose to seek it.

Now when I use race in that context, you have to take it in perspective of those people/times.
chevymaher said:
MI_Ghost said:
Never dealt with law did you. Interpretation is how the courts get away with the crap they do. Basic honesty and facts are not part of the program. Judges rulings are interpretations of law. And it varies on who you are and know.

1. are you a member of law enforcement.

2. are you related to a member of law enforcement.

3. how much money do you have.

This is what the interpretation is based on.

Any combination of 1, 2, or 3 innocent.

None of the above guilty.

No mysteries.
^x2 most laws are quite ambiguous, which leaves a lot of room for interpretation. The "laws" are ever changing and always open to interpretation, and for good reason. There is no black/white when it comes to laws regardless of the desires of those that wish it was like that.

#47 ·
Good write up, I may try this. I know it's an old thread, but still good info. Not a fan of the "Black" tail lights myself. I used to follow a Rustang home from work some days. He had blacked out tail lights and license plate ( got a speeding ticket a few years ago. When I went to court, most everyone there was carrying a tinted license plate cover to show the judge it was remove ) In bright sunny daylight, you could barely see his brake lights. It was scary. Being a motorcyclist who has been hit from behind I want all the rear visibility I can get. Not "Pissing on the thread" just my observations. What Kenny has done here seems to make them better, not worse. YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.