Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Where to get Pushbar/brushguard for '91 Safari

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  moonbuggy 
#1 ·
thats the question. spent about too much time google-ing :banghead:. Merideth, i'm going to ask the audience. Audience, we'll need your input now.............. :feedback:

#4 ·
The only way I know is to find one that is similar and then retro-fit it. I've been searching the junkyards for one that matches the width and contour of my van. Once I find it, I plan on mounting it to the bumper mounts from underneath using the same non-welding clamps that they use to attach a swinging driveway gate to a post. I'll probably have to cut off the original mounts that would otherwise bolt into the frame of a pickup or SUV and then stack some short pieces of square tubing to make up for the width differences.

#5 ·
I have asked this guy where he got his, but it came on the van when he bought it. . . . bummer!
He does not know what it came off of, maybe someone here will recognize it? S-10 maybe?
The van is called SHINE RUNNER and I LOVE IT! Hope he does not mind that I borrowed the shot. . . .

#6 ·
They probably made that guard for several different applications with the mounting points being the only difference. Your probably not going to find a direct bolt on guard for and will most likely have to do some kind of fabrication. Take some measurements off your rig then scope out the wrecking yards and Craigs list for something off a mid to small truck or suv that you like.

#7 ·
4x4 VanMan said:
They probably made that guard for several different applications with the mounting points being the only difference. Your probably not going to find a direct bolt on guard for and will most likely have to do some kind of fabrication. Take some measurements off your rig then scope out the wrecking yards and Craigs list for something off a mid to small truck or suv that you like.
This is the way to go, just modify the mounts. It would be pretty easy on the nice steel bumper thats on these vans. You can make a bar fit from almost any application, not van related, but heres a pic of a pushbar mounted to an old MB that was originally made for an F-150. It was narrowed and adapted to work on this car. As you can imagine, the size difference between the two applications is huge, yet the bar still works on the smaller vehicle with a few mods. The same thing could be done pretty easily for the astro/safari, which are much wider than this sedan. An F-150 pushbar might fit just right with no changes, just a few tweaks to the brackets

#10 ·
went and bought a Fab-Tech brush guard and then had to design and fabricate the mounting brackets :cool: . it's done a nice job on a variety of semi-unmovable objects :whistle: as well as being a great pick/pull point. i also attatched my fishing rod holders to it for bank and beach fishin' :poke: .

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.