Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Ladder mounting

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RECox286 
#1 ·
I have luggage rack on the roof to carry stuff like sleeping bags, folding chairs, fishing nets, etc. when I go camping/fishing.
I just received a ladder to mount on the rear door to make it easier to load/unload stuff from my luggage rack.
If it's one thing I learned from forums like these, is that multiple opinions from you people give me a wide range of options which I eventually decide which is most appropriate for me and go with that.

My question: On my '97 'Stro, which door do you think I should mount the ladder on, and why? (Btw, I cannot mount it on the side, so that option out.)

To save time and space, I'd like to thank you all in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Wes.

#2 ·
Myself , I would not mount a ladder on the door as the sheet metal of the door is so thin that it would seem that either the attaching bolts would pull through ripping the door or the door skin would be damaged from the weight of people going up and down the ladder. possibly finding a way to secure a sheet of 1/4 inch steel the full size of the door on the inside of the door to attach the ladder to that could support the weight. It may be easier to take a small step ladder to get to the luggage rack or both that and a 6 ft ladder on the roof rack to get high enough to access the whole roof

#3 ·
I've seen ladders attached to full size van rear doors, and always wondered (because I owned a full size Chevyvan) how it was able to support the loads imposed upon it. However, it seems that the arrangement worked.

I suppose that if you are intent on mounting a ladder to a rear door, it can be safely done but not by attaching it directly to the sheet metal itself. Bracing the assy by introducing new members on the inside of the door itself would be my first thought. This would require that the interior trim and panels be removed to access the inside of the door. Aircraft, if you really look at them closely, are pretty flimsy, but engineered to act as a whole, rather than the separate pieces, and this would be the logic I would follow.

knowing that there is a window in the way, the top fastening will be problematic to say the least. I think I would choose the passenger side door, as it would impede the rearview mirror the least (I think) and that is the side on which I have seen most if not all ladders attached.

If I were considering doing this, I might think more in terms of a "step", rather than a full "ladder". I think a braced step, placed several inches below the window, might be an easier and just as utilitarian way to go.
Consider that the Astro has a shorter door height than the full sized trucks, and one step probably wouldn't be all that dificult to use. The roof rack would provide the handhold that would be necessary, plus, I don't think you are after a gizzy that would allow you to actually climb up on the roof itself, but just provide a lift to access the roof rack.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.