1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT Pop-Up Camper

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT Pop-Up Camper

Postby AstroWill [OP] » April 2nd 2013, 12:07am

I set it in place today and wired it up just to try it out. WOW does it really move some air, not even fully installed and I'm pretty excited. Though I think I will search out a soft handle to replace the one on it. Really don't want to whack my head on it. I would estimate that on high it will probably change the air over in 20 to 30 seconds.
Best Regards,
Will
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1990 Provan Tiger GT V8 Pop-up http://goo.gl/SNChE 2003 White AWD POS http://goo.gl/9csvu
Blue 00 and Brown 99 sold
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): Will
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD POS

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Corsemoto » April 2nd 2013, 3:45am

Nice, is it quiet?
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » April 2nd 2013, 2:44pm

It is quite quiet, esp at the speeds that I will run it.
Best Regards,
Will
1990 Provan Tiger GT V8 Pop-up http://goo.gl/SNChE 2003 White AWD POS http://goo.gl/9csvu
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full years

Postby smokinjoe » April 2nd 2013, 2:52pm

For me I would rather it not be too quiet so to make good white noise to sleep by. Otherwise I get woken by tiny sounds.
smokinjoe
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 105
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Year: 1995
Extra Info: RWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » April 2nd 2013, 3:46pm

The fan has a thermostat so it will change speed or turn off depending on the temp. For white noise I would use a noise machine or application for the phone.
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT Pop-Up Camper

Postby AstroWill [OP] » May 21st 2013, 6:15pm

I finally received my DIcor Elastomeric Roof Coating. Now once installed I can take the tarp off of the Tiger. I ordered a gallon back in March @ Amazon.com. They marked it as shipped and gave me a tracking number. After a week or two I called them up and asked them what was going on as the tracking number was never updated. They checked on it and said there was a problem with the inventory and that they would ship me out some next day delivery. So about a week or so later I called them back up and asked what was going on with that and they said that there was a problem with the supplier. They could cancel it or I could wait until May 15th and they would complete my order. A few days before it was supposed to ship they said that they couldn't get it from their supplier anymore. So I waited a little while and ordered from another seller on Amazon and it came in today!

Now I have to wait for the weather, supposed to rain all week.

I have ordered quite a lot from Amazon, way too much really, and this is the only time I have had a major problem. Other issues I have had were always resolved quickly to my satisfaction.
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby AstroWill [OP] » June 5th 2013, 4:22pm

Just realized today that they forgot to refund me ~$50 for my original order, called up Amazon, and they got it taken care of very quickly and where super nice about it.
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby AstroWill [OP] » June 17th 2013, 3:00am

I did the first coating on the Tiger yesterday, wow is it BRIGHT! It rained quite a bit today, but I did get the 24hrs of cure time in. It is true what they say about that Dicor coating ready tape, once you put it on, there is no getting it off. Will have to wait a few days for the next coat and I will definitely get some pictures up soon. I really need to get a camera that I like, I take more pictures that way. :)
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Re: new to site Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT Pop-Up Camper

Postby chasdz » July 16th 2013, 5:14pm

I'm new to the site and looking for parts for a 1989 tiger pop up. I'm just looking for small things like the exhaust grill.
chasdz
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: chasdz has been a member for 1 full year
Year: 1989

Postby AstroWill [OP] » July 16th 2013, 7:54pm

So I am back from my mini vacation and have a newly rebuilt 350 to put into the Tiger. I did start a thread on it in the v8 section. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27042
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby Ken2.7 » July 16th 2013, 8:03pm

I will be interested in hearing more about the roof coating. I also think I may need a muffler soon. The one on my 2000 Tiger GT is pretty loud. What kind did you buy and is it quieter? I sent you a PM asking about lifting the front. Ken
Ken2.7
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Ken
Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD Provan Tiger GT

Postby AstroWill [OP] » July 16th 2013, 8:49pm

I used the 4" wide Dicor Coating Ready tape along the seam, across the top rivets on the front vent cover, and as a patch on a tear. Then I coated with the Dicor Elastomeric Roof Coating, it says two coats are required, I haven't done the second one yet, but I plan on it with the next low humidity day. Now the roof is leak free, and I'm sure that it will keep the temperature down as it is super bright.

Walker 17808 SoundFX Universal Muffler is the one I purchased for the tiger, had to expand an end a little bit. Note that the body sticks out a bit further on the Tiger than the original Astro, so if you replace the tailpipe as well, it is something to watch out for. I would say that it is nice and quiet, but the old one had a hole for quite a while :)

As far as the lift in the front, yours would be a little bit different then mine. I haven't installed mine yet as I still need to get the springs and brackets for the rear. Didn't want the front end up in the air with the back end squatting down. Though when I do the V8 install, I will probably go ahead and do the pucks and just fill the bags in the rear. I think that the 2nd gen astros are basically the same for the body lift, there are a few threads on there about lifts.

You mentioned the gas/brake/etc those are mounted to the body, not the subframe so they will stay in the same place with the body. The parking brake bracket has to be modified as well because the body will be up a little bit higher.
The anti-sway bar in the rear should be fine with your lift.

I would also like to hear/see more about your brake light mods. A build thread on here would be AWESOME! :)
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby AstroWill [OP] » July 19th 2013, 3:17pm

I did lift the front the other day with the 2" pucks, here is the thread on that:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19433&p=276618
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby cdlenfert » April 23rd 2014, 4:47am

Hi Will. I've read through the bulk of your thread an really appreciate you documenting your mechanical journey with the Tiger. We recently purchased our own 89 GT and it did great for us on a recent trip to Moab. The issue I came across the whole week was that the lights on the ceiling of the pop top stopped working on us. I tried to find a cause, but the fuses in the power converter were good, and all the other lights are still working normally. It's not the bulbs (they look good) and I can't imagine 4 went out at the same exact time. We first noticed the problem when I was hooking up to shore power. I'm not sure the 2 are related, but I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it. I'm hoping you might have some familiarity with the wiring to the ceiling and could point me in the right direction on places to check out for a fault. This thread has been static for a while so I hope you're still enjoying your Tiger, and there's just nothing that needs fixing. :)
——————————————
89 Astro Provan Tiger, 91K
——————————————
cdlenfert
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Extra Info: Provan Tiger GT

Postby AstroWill [OP] » May 6th 2014, 5:59pm

Well actually my Tiger has been parked for a while, but it's just about to come out of storage for a trip this summer, however there are always a ton of things that I need/want to work on with it, unless of course I find a CX in my price range, then the GT will likely go up for sale.

Onward to your problem, the wires run from the pop top, down the drivers side corner of the folding mechanism, then down behind the fridge, behind the drawers, under the heater vents, under the shower, and into the back of the converter. I believe the wires are red or orange, converting into blue going into the converter. Check for power at those wires coming out of the converter first.

Connecting to shore power is very relevant here, thanks for mentioning it. There are two relays in the converter, which switches from the battery to running off of the converter when you connect to shore power. I would be willing to bet that it is one of those relays inside of the converter that is failing, I know that mine are, sometimes a tap on the converter will get them going again. You can however if you are handy replace those relays on the board for minimal cost. However there are MUCH better converters available these days that will really take much better care of your house battery should you choose to replace the converter.

Anyway, check for voltage on the, blue(?) wires coming out of the box, and also check the breakers there. If you are comfortable with electricity, you can manually engage the relay inside the converter to confirm if that is the issue.

Edit: If you don't have a volt meter, grab a cheap one from Harbor Freight or something to keep in the van for diagnosing issues like this. The older the vehicle gets, the more likely electrical problems will crop up, a simple $3 one from HF will work just fine for most things.
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby cdlenfert » May 6th 2014, 8:09pm

Thanks Will, I really appreciate the thorough response. I ended up finding the wiring running up to the ceiling behind the drivers side of the front folding panel. After removing all the screws on the bottom of the panel, I was able to get my arm behind and I could feel an obvious fray in the wiring running up to the ceiling. I pulled the wiring out from behind the panel, touched the broken ends together and sure enough my lights sprang to life. I spliced some new wiring in and all is working again. I hope I don't run into problems with the relays inside the converter, but If I start seeing more problems I'll at least know of another thing to check. Thanks again and good luck on your trip!
——————————————
89 Astro Provan Tiger, 91K
——————————————
cdlenfert
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Extra Info: Provan Tiger GT

Postby AstroWill [OP] » June 11th 2014, 1:46pm

I have started working on the Tiger again, finally have the cooling system mostly hooked up. Seems to be a popular question about the lower radiator hose for these v8 conversions, I used a Gates 20843 and made two cuts, used the factory heater T that was there, matches up nicely.
P1000251edited.JPG
Gates 20843 Cut for 89 Astro v8 conversion lower radiator hose

Here is the piece that I removed.
P1000253edited.JPG
Piece removed from Gates 20843 cut for 89 Astro V8 conversion lower radiator hose.

Here is the compatibility list from Jegs if you need to cross-reference it.
Code: Select all
CHEVROLETBLAZER1973-1974
CHEVROLETBLAZER (CANADIAN)BASE1974
CHEVROLETBLAZER K51975-1983
CHEVROLETC10 PICKUP1973-1983
CHEVROLETC10 PICKUPBIG TEN1978-1980
CHEVROLETC10 SUBURBAN1973-1983
CHEVROLETC20 PICKUP1973-1983
CHEVROLETC20 SUBURBAN1973-1983
CHEVROLETC30 PICKUP1973-1983
CHEVROLETK10 PICKUP1973-1983
CHEVROLETK10 SUBURBAN1973-1983
CHEVROLETK20 PICKUP1973-1983
CHEVROLETK20 SUBURBAN1973-1983
CHEVROLETK30 PICKUP1973-1974
CHEVROLETK30 PICKUP1977-1983
CHEVROLETP10 VAN1973
CHEVROLETP10 VAN1975
CHEVROLETP10 VAN1977
CHEVROLETP20 VAN1973-1977
CHEVROLETP20 VAN1979-1989
CHEVROLETP30 VAN1973-1977
CHEVROLETP30 VAN1979-1997
CHEVROLETP30 VAN1999
GMCC15 PICKUP1975-1978
GMCC15 PICKUPBIG TEN1977-1978
GMCC15 SUBURBAN1975-1978
GMCC15/C1500 PICKUP1973-1974
GMCC15/C1500 PICKUP1979-1983
GMCC15/C1500 PICKUPBIG TEN1979-1980
GMCC15/C1500 SUBURBAN1973-1974
GMCC1500 PICKUP1980
GMCC1500 PICKUPBIG TEN1980
GMCC1500 SUBURBAN1979-1983
GMCC25 SUBURBAN1975-1978
GMCC25/C2500 PICKUP1973-1978
GMCC25/C2500 SUBURBAN1973-1974
GMCC2500 PICKUP1979-1983
GMCC2500 SUBURBAN1979-1983
GMCC35 PICKUP1975-1978
GMCC35/C3500 PICKUP1973-1974
GMCC3500 PICKUP1979-1983
GMCJIMMY1973-1983
GMCK15 PICKUP1975-1978
GMCK15 SUBURBAN1975-1978
GMCK15/K1500 PICKUP1973-1974
GMCK15/K1500 SUBURBAN1973-1974
GMCK1500 PICKUP1979-1983
GMCK1500 SUBURBAN1979-1983
GMCK25 PICKUP1975-1978
GMCK25 SUBURBAN1975-1978
GMCK25/K2500 PICKUP1973-1974
GMCK25/K2500 SUBURBAN1973-1974
GMCK2500 PICKUP1979-1983
GMCK2500 SUBURBAN1979-1983
GMCK35 PICKUP1977-1978
GMCK35/K3500 PICKUP1973-1974
GMCK3500 PICKUP1979-1983
GMCP25/P2500 VAN1973-1977
GMCP25/P2500 VAN1979-1989
GMCP35/P3500 VAN1973-1977
GMCP35/P3500 VAN1979-1997
GMCP35/P3500 VAN1999
Last edited by AstroWill on June 11th 2014, 6:57pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby icebrrg3rd » June 11th 2014, 5:51pm

Hmmm, cheapo me re-used the V-6 hoses...altho I have cut off an inch or so from both ends when I installed my new radiator over the winter so I'd have "fresh" hose to clamp onto. Top one too.

I'm writing that Gates number down for when I have the funds to buy a new one. Where did you make the 2 cuts?

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc, 67k mi. Green Beast
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc, 78k mi. Great White
91 Chevy Astro Conversion 5.7L 5-speed, 243k mi. Rustic Red
00 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L, 184k mi. Baby Blue
icebrrg3rd
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Extra Info: RWD Shorty Conv

Re: new to site Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT Pop-Up Camper

Postby AstroWill [OP] » June 11th 2014, 6:27pm

chasdz wrote:I'm new to the site and looking for parts for a 1989 tiger pop up. I'm just looking for small things like the exhaust grill.

Not sure how I missed this, but all of the RV parts on the Tiger are regular off the shelf stuff. You can get them at any RV supply place, I think CampingWorld has most of the stuff right on the shelf when you walk in.

icebrrg3rd wrote:Where did you make the 2 cuts?

-Andrew

I edited the post above to include pictures :)
Best Regards,
Will
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby icebrrg3rd » June 11th 2014, 8:17pm

AstroWill wrote:...used the factory heater T that was there...

Hmmm, my '91 doesn't have that heater "T", the heater hose went to the water pump on the V-6, and on my V-8 the water pump didn't have that fitting, so I attached the heater hose to the radiator (same side as the lower hose). Odd.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc, 67k mi. Green Beast
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc, 78k mi. Great White
91 Chevy Astro Conversion 5.7L 5-speed, 243k mi. Rustic Red
00 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L, 184k mi. Baby Blue
icebrrg3rd
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Extra Info: RWD Shorty Conv

PreviousNext