Bad Ast Project

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Bad Ast Project

Postby AstroWill » December 28th 2016, 7:07pm

Lumpy wrote:
Darn scorpions. Been here for 400 million years. They probably won't go away soon.

Is that human or scorpion years?
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): Richard C., Advocatus Diaboli
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Engine project
    by AndyH » November 18th 2016, 6:18pm in Projects/Builds
    42 Replies
    Last post by Wimpazz View the latest post
    December 8th 2016, 11:13pm
  • The Birdmans 95 Astro project
    by a1959birdman » December 27th 2016, 2:12am in Projects/Builds
    23 Replies
    Last post by a1959birdman View the latest post
    February 11th 2017, 6:47pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 28th 2017, 5:19am

Postby Lumpy » December 28th 2016, 7:31pm

Scorpions or Astros, I enjoy the long term projects.

Neither will ever be finished... :banana:

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby sixsix » December 29th 2016, 12:26am

What a Great Project / Build / Prostock Van.
I remember back in April 2014 , This Thread was the First I read after joining - He was building the Stock Rack Roll-Around at the time.
Funny, prior to Today - that last page ( page 20 ) was "Active" for about 2 1/2 years ( April '14 - Dec '16 ).

He started in August '11 and it was carried over from the Previous Forum.
Taking his time - his Fab, CAD, Attention to detail and Presentation Skills are "Quite Advanced".

I Hope to still be Alive when He "Finishes". LOL

:poke:

Mike

ps:
Since he works at about the same speed as I do, I'll still
be working on our Doors, Locks, Handles and Windows.
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

There are 3 types of people in this world - First, the type that can count
and Second, the type that can't.

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 2 full yearssixsix has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby astroracer [OP] » December 29th 2016, 12:56am

Well thanks guys, nice to be back on the project, I hope I can keep it going.
Here are some pics of what I accomplished yesterday. Mostly getting the bracket designed and fabbed.
After removing the original Prop Valve I had this nice bracket to work with.
Getting my bearings by holding the new Prop Valve in place.
I did a lot thinking on the placement. The bottom has two outlets for the front brakes. I could use either one or both. In order to mount the valve where I wanted it the rear "front" outlet will be covered. I will use the forward outlet and plumb a "T" into the line on the frame. This is what I came up with for a bracket design.
I cut the shape out of a piece of heavy cardstock and "made" the bracket so I could check the fit of the valve.
Bent up and mounted. The top bolt for the master cylinder and the slot in the bottom of the original bracket are plenty to get this attached.
I used the paper template and laid the design onto a piece of .090 scrap aluminum. I cut out the shape with the stomp shear and my scroll saw.
I sweetened up the profile with the angle grinder and drilled the holes. The dashed lines are the bend points.
I used a pair of seaming pliers to do the bends. .090 is fairly hard to do by hand so I clamped the bracket in the vise so I could get more leverage.
All bent up and bolted in place. I'm happy with it. It will be hidden behind the valve anyway.
With the valve bolted on. Clear access to both of the outlets on the bottom of the valve and it's not going anywhere. Once the lines are made and bolted in it will be pretty solid.
Mark
Last edited by astroracer on December 29th 2016, 2:08am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
2000 Astro Conversion Van
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Year: 1988
Extra Info: Major renovation

Postby TurnNburn » December 29th 2016, 1:03am

Looking good. I used that proportioning valve when I installed my hydraulic hand brake and bigger brakes in my last rally car to dial in the rear calipers. Mine didn't have that little electrical sensor though, is that electrical control for launching?
2000 Astro- 7'' lift, NP233C 4x4 T-case, 31x10.5x15 A/T, ongoing camperization in progress
"If you wont drink a beer with me then we probably cant be friends"
Build thread- viewtopic.php?t=103066
TurnNburn
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Alias (AKA): My friends call me fluffy
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 4x4 Overlander

Postby Lumpy » December 29th 2016, 1:13am

Stomp shear PICS!

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full years

Postby astroracer [OP] » December 29th 2016, 1:33am

Got out today and got the lines plumbed. This was a bit of an adventure getting the tight bends that were needed to run the lines.
I ended up making a little bending fixture to get it done. This will be pretty handy for doing the rest of the van.
The line for the rear brakes is in.
And here is the line for the front brakes.
This is one of the double flares I do with my CPP Flaring tool.
Got a lot done today and I am pretty pleased with the bending fixture.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full years

Postby Lumpy » December 29th 2016, 1:40am

That's some nice plumbing there.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby astroracer [OP] » December 29th 2016, 1:54am

TurnNburn wrote:Looking good. I used that proportioning valve when I installed my hydraulic hand brake and bigger brakes in my last rally car to dial in the rear calipers. Mine didn't have that little electrical sensor though, is that electrical control for launching?

That's the brake light switch. It could be used to operate a launch control though. When I swapped the hydro-boost pedals from the '95 into BadAst I modified the bracket to incorporate the '88 stop light switch. I will probably use this one instead as it is instantaneous with no adjusting needed... :)

Lump,
Pics of the stomp shear. It's an old Pexto. 37" wide.
It sits on 5" HD casters now. I built brackets that slip under the casting and use one bolt to retain them. It's nice being able to roll it out to use it and roll it back in to get it out of the way. ")
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby TurnNburn » December 29th 2016, 5:45am

Cool, cool, and cool!
2000 Astro- 7'' lift, NP233C 4x4 T-case, 31x10.5x15 A/T, ongoing camperization in progress
"If you wont drink a beer with me then we probably cant be friends"
Build thread- viewtopic.php?t=103066
TurnNburn
Alias (AKA): My friends call me fluffy
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 4x4 Overlander

Postby astroracer [OP] » January 4th 2017, 1:44pm

Well, I've ran into a bit of an issue with the prop valve placement. It is too low. The outlet for the front brake line I need to plug is to close to the bracket underneath it. I didn't think it would be a problem finding a low profile inverted flare plug to fill the hole but I have found nothing that will work. The regular plugs are to tall and I do not want to remake the bracket OR the hardlines, so.... I will make a low profile plug.
I puttered around in the shop last night trying to figure out how to tighten the plug and came up with this. I bored a .177 diameter hole in a test piece of aluminum.
Then I used a short Torx bit to "broach" a hole for the driver. I started it with a few taps from a hammer to make sure it was straight then just pressed it into the test piece with the 4" vise.
This worked great! I have some 3/8-24 threaded brass rod coming from McMaster Carr today. Hopefully the technique will work as well on the brass.
Making the inverted flare side is easy. A 3/16 drill and 90degree c'sink work perfect for that. Getting the "driver" side done will be the challenge.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby Lee in Mountain View » January 4th 2017, 3:12pm

Wow! Just found this thread and, well, just Wow!!! This is just the coolest! You are an artist sir!! I will be following along! Thanks for taking the time to post this!!
My Tow Vehicle!
Lee in Mountain View
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Topics: 5
Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby MI_Ghost » January 4th 2017, 8:42pm

Between the pro street LS1 on one side, and the pro touring BBC on the other. You guys are setting the bar awfully high here in Michigan.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
MI_Ghost
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby astroracer [OP] » January 5th 2017, 2:40pm

Thanks Guys! Setting the bar high is a good thing, right?
And Mike/! Have you seen the latest Cruizin News? There is a picture of the Green Monster on pg. 41. :clap:
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby astroracer [OP] » January 11th 2017, 1:33pm

I tried using an Allen key to broach the driver hole but it just wouldn't do a clean job. It kept galling as it was pushed in. The Torx driver works great for some reason. I don't really care what it is as long as it works. :)
I got the threaded rod and made a couple of plugs tonight. Went as easy as I was hoping. The Torx driver pushed in just as easy as it did with the aluminum test piece. I'm happy.
I got a foot of the 3/8-24 rod and used about half of this piece I cut off...
Dilled a pilot hole and ran a 90 degree chamfering tool into the drilled hole to make the bevel.
The beveled hole.
For the broaching job, I drilled the hole out to .173 dia. That is the one I used in the aluminum piece.
I ran the fitting into a 3/8-24 nut so I could get the "broach" tapped in straight.
Just a couple of light taps with hammer got the broach started.
I then clamped the assembly into the vise and pressed away...
Didn't take much to do the job.
I ran one into the prop valve.
And checked the clearance. We are good to go.

I made a couple of them while I was doing it. Now that I've made one the whole process only takes about 10 minutes. :)
Now, on to bigger and better things!
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby astroracer [OP] » January 11th 2017, 1:38pm

Got out in the shop Saturday morning and made a couple of new, shorter, plugs. These go pretty well flush with the prop valve now so I know there will be no issues with fitment. These fittings are much nicer.
They flush up real nice with the prop valve. The plug on the left is off the shelf.

With that finally done I started laying out parts to get the brake lines ran. This junction block will bolt under the cross member. Drilling a hole for a 1/4-20 rivnut is next.
Rivnut installed.
With the block installed I can start routing lines.

I routed the line up and around the forward 4-bar mounts. This should keep it out of harms way with the wrenches.
The line runs back along the inner rail and follows the kick up back to the rear shock cross member.
It will run out across the cross member to the junction block for the rear soft line.
I'll get the front line ran Sunday.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby astroracer [OP] » January 11th 2017, 1:45pm

It sure does feel good to be back on this project!
I got the front line ran Sunday morning. A flare, 2 bends and a few clips and it is in place.
I made a little sketch to get the bends in the right spot.
All clipped in. I put the clips on 12" centers. Seems to support the line very well. I need to terminate the end of course, but I can't do that until the front suspension is mocked up. I'll do that along with the rear.
Had to a little re-routing to get around the motor mount tubes. Looks okay? or not...
I used the tubing straightener I built a while back to get all of the lines straight. It works like a champ.
I also spent some time figuring out where to put the soft line tabs. I need to weld one to the rear shock cross member but want to verify rear end travel before I do. You can see the layout lines above the shock mount hole in the cross member.
I will be assembling the rear suspension so I can run it thru it's travels (and finish the shock mounts. :)).
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby astroracer [OP] » January 11th 2017, 1:46pm

Got the rear suspension assembled Monday night. It still fits... which is a good thing.
I rolled the housing underneath the frame after rolling it flat on the rotisserie. The better half helped hold the housing while I got the bars slipped into place.

With the bars all bolted up and the panhard bar in place I used a couple of tie down straps to get it raised up so I could connect the shocks.

I was also working on the upper shock attachments. right now there is a 1" hole drilled thru both sides of the upper cross member. I went to Durand and picked up a 4' piece of 1" O.D. x 1/4" wall D.O.M. and cut a couple of sleeves for the 1/2" bolts that hold the upper shock eyes. Once everything is pulled back apart I will weld these in.

Getting this hung in there tonight was enough for me. Tomorrow I'll start finishing up the brake line stuff.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby astroracer [OP] » January 11th 2017, 1:57pm

Monday nite I went to bed at 9:30 after working on the suspension for 4 hrs. I woke up at 10:30 and my mind was running, working on the van. I never got back to sleep and was still awake when the alarm went off at 3:45. It was well worth it though as I figured out how I am going to drop the engine in the frame. It's still a bit of a tear up but it's super easy and all I have to make are a few 1/4" plates. Everything else will be reused after I cut the cross members out. I worked on the design all day today in UG and have dimensioned drawings. I am going to wait to do the job until I have the frame on the ground with the all of the suspension mocked up. I just need to verify ground clearance to the lowered cross members and trans pan but I think the plan will work.
Here are some screen shots so you can see where I am taking it.

The biggest change is the drop-out piece in the rear cross member. This will allow removal of the pan without having to yank the engine.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » January 11th 2017, 1:58pm

Had to a little re-routing to get around the motor mount tubes. Looks okay? or not...

not.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Geez Mark,
I've seen guys that call themselves "Pro" that aren't worth sweeping your shop floor.

Beautiful...
Last edited by WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! on January 11th 2017, 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

PreviousNext