Bad Ast Project

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Bad Ast Project

Postby Lumpy » February 9th 2017, 4:09pm

Is the barrel of the shock threaded so that you can adjust the preload on the spring?

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Project Boogie Van
    by boogievan982 » April 27th 2017, 6:53pm in Projects/Builds
    5 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    April 28th 2017, 12:38am
  • The Birdmans 95 Astro project
    by a1959birdman » December 27th 2016, 2:12am in Projects/Builds
    23 Replies
    Last post by a1959birdman View the latest post
    February 11th 2017, 6:47pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 28th 2017, 3:57pm

Postby Lumpy » February 9th 2017, 4:24pm

astroracer wrote:
...I will make a low profile plug.
...3/8-24 threaded brass rod...

I'm re-reading these posts and each time I'm re-learned of something gnu.

3/8-24 = 3/16 pipe flare. That's not only convenient to learn/remember about plumbing, but 3/8-24 is also the size and pitch of essentially all Ham/CB etc antenna mounts. Opens up a whole new bunch of "Use stuff made for THIS application in THAT application".

... :rockon:

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years

Postby astroracer [OP] » February 9th 2017, 5:13pm

Lumpy wrote:Is the barrel of the shock threaded so that you can adjust the preload on the spring?

Lump

Yup, threaded barrel and single adjustable for rebound. The lower seat is on the left in the pic and you can see the threads it runs on.
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
2000 Astro Conversion Van
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Year: 1988
Extra Info: Major renovation

Postby Wimpazz » February 9th 2017, 6:42pm

astroracer wrote: When this one is done my barn will almost half empty (or half full) take it as you will. :)

Maybe it will just become twice as big as it really needs to be
;)

Thanks for the updates
2000 AWD Safari "TK421"; (Build Here):http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
Wimpazz
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Wimpazz has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby astroracer [OP] » February 16th 2017, 1:38am

Back to work on the Astro, sort of... Working with Craig at Bowler we have the PCS Shift Controller and Paddles on their way. PCS has downloadable files available so I downloaded an IGES file of the paddles and added them into my Steering Wheel File.
Getting the paddles to work will require a fabbed adapter to go thru the paddles to pick up the steering wheel bolts. No biggie, I have a lot of 2 1/2" alum bar stock to make it out of.
With the 2" extension, the .81 thick paddle assembly and the 1/2" thick cover I am moving the steering wheel about 4" in the right direction. This should work well with the moderate set back of the driver seat.
Looking down the column.
here is the stack from the passenger side. The little silver part is the adapter I have to make. Everything else I will have.
This remote shifter thing was a bit spendy but it was something I needed to do to get the engine cover cleaned off. Too much stuff going on in too small of an area.
Hopefully the PCS stuff will get here in a timely manner.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 7 full years

Postby ochitochito » February 16th 2017, 2:27am

LOOKS QUITE AMBITIOUS! good job, you know your stuff! lots of work and looking awesome! Congrats love to see it as you progress to the end... again congrats!
ochitochito
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Ocho
Year: 1992
Extra Info: 6 cil. 4.3

Postby astroracer [OP] » February 17th 2017, 1:47pm

Thank You Sir, I appreciate the kudos!
Got a big box from PCS yesterday! The parts look great. I'll get pics but I didn't have time last night. Mott Community College and Back to the Bricks are collaborating on a program they call Hot Rod High. This program allows high school and college students the opportunity to get their hands dirty actually building a car.
I was asked to be one of the mentors in the program and we had a meeting last night. We are working on a '30 Model A 2 door coupe. The body is a pile and the chassis and suspension are from Speedway.
It's pretty cool working with the kids. Some of them know a few things but most of them are clueless. It's nice to be working with kids that are there to actually learn and gain some knowledge.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby astroracer [OP] » February 18th 2017, 12:29am

Contents of the boxes that came yesterday.
The Paddle Shifter Box
The Remote Shifter Box.
As you can see, the paddles have a circuit board right where I was planning to mount my fabbed adapter. No biggie, The adapter will be a bit diferent, that's all.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby Lowastro2001 » March 7th 2017, 11:22am

Petty cool build Mark... I remember the original thread from the old board. Always admired your van.
Lowastro2001
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): Lowastro2001
Year: 1994
Extra Info: Ext 4.3 V6

Postby astroracer [OP] » March 19th 2017, 11:24pm

Thanks a bunch guys!
Been a while since I got any reportable work done on the van. Getting sick for a week put a real crimp on my energy level and I am just now getting back to a feeling good point.
Went out today and finished setting up all of the rear stab bar components. Centered the rear housing in the chassis and got all of the links and brackets mocked up. Marked everything for cleaning up the weld areas of paint and broke out the flap disc grinder.
With everything cleaned up I got the welder fired up and welded on the stab bar towers.

With thos set I mocked the stab bar back up and got the rear brackets welded on.

it all looks good with the links bolted back in.

i also did some work on the steering wheel adapter for the PCS shifter set up. Got a chunk of 1/2" aluminum cut out and marked to start making it.
Got a lot done today, thanks for watching.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby astroracer [OP] » March 21st 2017, 12:28am

Got a bit more done tonight. Ran the front suspensions thru jounce and rebound and full L/R lock. Laid out the final positions for the steering stops and got those tacked in.
After grinding the paint off I marked the positions with black felt pen.
Checking the positioning and making sure everything is in the right spot. This is the passenger side as the frame is upside down on the rotisserie.
This is the driver side front stop tacked on.
I will pull the spindles out to finish the welding. I had everything wrapped in welding blankets while tacking but I didn't want to put that kind of heat into the blankets.
I probably should have rounded those corners over before I tacked them on... Oh well the big grinder will get a work out. :)
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby Lumpy » March 21st 2017, 2:37pm

What's it like welding to those big cast spindles?

What weld process are you using? MIG? Stick?

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby astroracer [OP] » March 21st 2017, 6:17pm

Hey Lump,
The spindles are cast steel and they weld beautifully! I am using a Mig with .035 wire for this work. If you go back to page 1 of this thread and scroll down about half way you will see what was done to these spindles to make them work for my suspension design.
mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby Lumpy » March 22nd 2017, 1:15am

astroracer wrote:
...page 1 of this thread and scroll down about half way you will see what was done to these spindles to make them work for my suspension design...

Just beautiful... :rockon:

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby astroracer [OP] » March 26th 2017, 12:50am

Worked on the steering wheel adapters this past week. I was doing a test fit Monday night and found the wheel adapter I had in my stash was to small to fit the Astro column. I ordered an adapter kit from Summit. While I was waiting for that I got to work making the upper adapter plate. This is the piece that will go between the steering wheel and the PCS paddle shifter unit. It will use 5 #10-32 x 1 1/2" long SHCS to bolt the PCS unit onto the extension. The extension will bolt to the new adapter when it comes in. (hopefully)...
I dug out a chunk of 1/2" thick aluminum plate and laid out the bolt circles on it. One for the 5 bolts that go thru the PCS unit and one for the three bolts that hold on the steering wheel and horn button asm. After clamping the piece in the mill I drilled a center hole for "zero" for the next operation.
Using the bolt pattern feature on the DRO made drilling both of the bolt patterns easy. This feature sure does save a lot of time over hand laying out all of these holes. With the piece clamped in and zeroed all I have to do is plug in the both circle diameter, the number of holes, the start and end angles (in this case 0 and 360) and hit enter. The first hole location is a dead straight move in the X out tot he radial position of the first hole. In the pic that would be the one to the right in the picture.
Every consecutive hole after that is reached by simply pressing the down button to move to the next hole and twisting the mill handles until both X and Y are zeroed out. It makes doing this a no brainer...
Here the five outer holes have been drilled and I am starting on the three inners.
Once all of the holes are drilled I re-zero the cutter, which has been changed out for a counter bore tool and re-run the program.
With all of the holes done I could get the three inner holes tapped for 1/4-20's.

Chunking off the excess material so I can get the adapter turned round in the lathe.
After a few minutes of trimming. Using the hold downs from a clamping kit on the saw makes this kind of off hand cutting a whole lot easier. Sure beats doing it by hand on the vertical. This way I can do other things while the H/V is cutting.

I made this mandrel years ago for another project. The small pilot is sized for the .422 dia. tap drill for a 1/2"-13 thread. I drilled the center hole out to that so I could use the mandrel to chuck the adapter in the lathe.

Spinning in the lathe. I use real light cuts here and take my time.
After it was good and round I chamfered the edges and cleaned up the surfaces with some ScotchBrite while it still spinning.
All cleaned up and ready for a test bolting. This will get painted satin black to match the rest of the column.

With everything bolted together it all fits and looks pretty good. I know it looks tall but this will put it right about where it needs to be for the new seat placement.
Gotten a lot done so far this week... Thanks for following.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby sixsix » March 26th 2017, 3:05am

astroracer wrote:... Thanks for following

That's Funny - I wouldn't miss it.

Nice machine work.

Mike
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

"Though the hippopotamus has no sting, the wise man would prefer to be sat upon by the bee."
- Banacek

sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby AstroWill » March 26th 2017, 3:15am

Great work, this is indeed one Bad Ast Project!
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 66
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby astroracer [OP] » March 27th 2017, 12:35pm

Thanks guys! It turned out nice but I think I will be making a new one. Once I got it all bolted together I think the mis-match between the wheel and the paddle unit is to great. That's all I see when I look at it now. I think a new piece is needed that will blend the two together better.
I am also going to replace the convoluted rubber piece with a fabbed tubing cover to smooth things out a bit between the shifter and column. Everything is just way to busy for me in there.
Mark
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby astroracer [OP] » March 28th 2017, 5:10pm

Worked in the shop and on the computer last night. The steering wheel interface to the paddle shifter is 4.75" in diameter. That's exactly an 1" bigger then the first plate I made. I remodeled the plate and added a big chamfer around the perimeter where it mates to the shifter unit.

The new, smooth shroud will be made out of an exhaust pipe reducer. 4" to 3 1/2" will work perfect. I'll be hitting the muffler shop tonight to see if they have any that size.
2004 Astro
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby The Drummer » March 28th 2017, 5:20pm

Very impresive work ! .
Please send all your money to the : Ben Dover fondation for poor drummers , we will take care of it better than you would ; Image
The Drummer
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 16
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

PreviousNext