Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Astro pull behind camper

16K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  markmitch 
#1 ·
All you guys out there with extra Astros just sitting there, they would make a nice pull behind camper or enclosed hauler!

#5 ·
I was going for the aerodynamic affect :lol:

I figured it to be long enough to sleep in and use the motor bay as storage.

#7 ·
Jasen said:

Or you could slap a bbq grill in the bay....wait... smoke might enter inside then your choners will smell like slow cooked bbq ribs....nevermind

#9 ·
CoolCat4Christ said:
Jasen said:

Or you could slap a bbq grill in the bay....wait... smoke might enter inside then your choners will smell like slow cooked bbq ribs....nevermind
I like it. Hood is the bbq lid, grill is hinged to fold down to access beer cooler, mini fridge of condiments, propane tank and a set of these...

#11 ·
Jasen said:
I like the third one, that looks awesome Seems like a pretty heavy trailer though......

I like how he didn't even fuss with putting that molding cap back on behind his front wheels... lol

#17 ·
Silverhawk, that has the wheels too far back, there would be too much weight on the tongue. For something that long, probably best to have double wheels more centered. Yeah, that'd probably remove the function of the slider(s) but with doors on the front & back, you'd probably still have good access.

It's not an Astro but a full-size van trailer:

DSC01902.JPG

DSC01903.JPG

DSC01904.JPG

DSC01905.JPG

-Andrew

#18 ·
View media item 16914 How much weight would there really be in an Astro body? My idea would involve having a full bed in the back with storage for gear underneath. The front would be empty until parked and then just a fold-up table with a couple of chairs. All the weight of gear would be over the axle. Sleeping bags, pillows and lighter items could be hauled up front. I don't think that the tongue weight would be that much different than a full sized camper.

#23 ·
DGE73 said:
One last chop.
Silverhawk said:
View media item 17233. Instead of stretching the top, I in visioned the High Tops being used.
Yea, although that looks really cool like that, that would be a lot of work getting speciality pieces of large glass cut, it would definitely be a lot more cost effective to have a 24" high top on the van, even if it was custom made.

#24 ·
DGE, that's a nice looking trailer. I agree with silverhawk, those glass panels, while awesome looking, would be pricey. Altho a 24" high top would also be a drag. Maybe a pop-top that lets you stand up but folds down for transport. That would reduce the wind resistance on the trailer while pulling. And I like the idea of the slide-out bed panel from the Dutch door. Keep up the creative processes!

-Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.