Flooring & Bad Knees!

Flooring & Bad Knees!

Postby Ozarker [OP] » March 19th 2017, 12:37pm

Well, I was ready yesterday to rip out the carpet in the 01 Astro, go buy ply for the sub floor and install wood laminate, then crawling around inside I realized my knees hurt !

In my old Safari I'd do the duck walk or bend over, we aren't that agile and we'll be forced to our knees moving around inside.

I like the look of the wood and ease of cleaning, but I don't think our old knees will take it. Not to mention our Boxer sliding around.

The van will be a driver and our camper so cleaning it out needs to be easy.

What say you about flooring?

Options: Wood and a thick rug? Are there any soft rubber mats?

Another issue, I'd like to keep the back seat and it clamps into the floor so by putting in a thicker floor, what's the best way to keep the seat attachments (can you take them out and use spacers between the floor and the attachment to raise it up?) :confused:
Original Poster [OP]
Ozarker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Bill
Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Can not remove old flooring
    by Nick » May 17th 2017, 5:59pm in Interior
    1 Replies
    Last post by Wimpazz View the latest post
    May 17th 2017, 6:04pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 28th 2017, 3:51pm

Re: Flooring & Bad Knees!

Postby Superno-van » March 19th 2017, 11:35pm

I'd probably say a thick rug...that's what I see most often. And as far as the seat attachments go, if you decide to do the rug, you can just cut out a little outline for the attachments to hook in
Superno-van
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2

Postby Wimpazz » March 20th 2017, 2:08pm

Rubber backed rug, like for bathroom or anti skid mat.
Save the trim from your carpet for the holes, either cut them out or you might be lucky and the screw in type...

Clearance should still be OK
2000 AWD Safari "TK421"; (Build Here):http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
Wimpazz
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Wimpazz has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby M_a_t_t » March 20th 2017, 3:02pm

In my van even though the floor is raised up its still thin enough to put the seats in, except I had to take the little rubber feet off. I'm not sure if the newer vans still have the same bottom part of the seat though.
M_a_t_t
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 2 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 12
Year: 1995
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby Ozarker [OP] » April 27th 2017, 1:39pm

Thank you guys!
I tried those rubber garage mats from harbor freight, opened them up and put 4 together.....they stunk with chemicals and had to take them out.....that's a "no go" if anyone thought about using them inside.

Rubber back carpet is a good idea but it's carpet, I'd like to be able to wipe it out with a damp cloth. Boxer hair isn't that bad to clean out but carpet by itself won't do really. Could carpet and then use a canvas fitted over it as you would fit the carpet and snap it n place......remove and shake or hose off. ????

Wimpy, really like your wood floor, and the cut outs look good!

When I did my cargo van I used 1/2 inch ply for the sub-floor over insulation, but this one has pad and carpet that's in good shape.

Seems to me I could use 3/8 ply laid on top of the existing carpet, lay a vapor barrier and then wood lam on top. That in itself is a lot of insulation, seems the 3/8 ply would give just a bit as you step on it, but there should be enough material over the floor ribs to save the knees.

The wood lam s designed to be a floating floor, but since this is such a small area, I don't think expansion and contraction would be a big issue if the flooring got glue, what do you guys think?
Original Poster [OP]
Ozarker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby MI_Ghost » April 29th 2017, 4:09am

Ozarker wrote:Options: Wood and a thick rug? Are there any soft rubber mats?

Interlocking Faux Wood Flooring
http://www.greatmats.com/tiles/foam-tiles.php

Wood Grain Reversible Foam Floor
http://www.greatmats.com/tiles/interloc ... od-rev.php
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
MI_Ghost
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby Bread Van » April 29th 2017, 4:49am

Ozarker wrote:Thank you guys!
I tried those rubber garage mats from harbor freight, opened them up and put 4 together.....they stunk with chemicals and had to take them out.....that's a "no go" if anyone thought about using them inside.

I bought some of these awhile back on sale and when I read the intro post, this was the first thing that came to mind.

I even put some in my van. But I notice the smell and let them air out a few weeks. I have some in the van now and I don't smell them at all.

Costco sells a similar product, similar priced and I believe I saw the words "waterproof closed cell" on the package that would be handy for dogs. Laminate is nice but no good for dogs. My older dog has a hard time moving around on the laminate in my house.
Bread Van
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA): mapper
Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch lift

Postby Big_kid » April 29th 2017, 2:57pm

Hmmm... I put an area rug in my van. I forget the size, but the section I cut off the side fit the back perfectly. The seam is under the back seat/bed. It was cheap, it came from Ollie's discount bargain basement, on sale. Trouble is though, it's still carpet- and carpet holds things. Rubber mat of some sort, maybe that stuff that stunk too badly, leave it outside for a while until if stops off-gassing.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 141
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby srdragonusa » April 29th 2017, 3:43pm

I think this would really brighten up the space! ;-)

What's a little smell, We all love a little formaldehyde smell every now and then, Let's us know we're still alive! :rofl:
P@ul AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
srdragonusa
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Paul
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Ozarker [OP] » April 29th 2017, 4:48pm

LOL, if I were still 18 in the 60's, the psycodelic pad would be cool, today I'd have vision issues :)

Thanks for the pictures guys!

Ghost, that looks ice in the display, like that wood grain!

Ok, so I hadn't taken the HB mats back yet, did a sniff test and they had smelled much better.

Another issue with the HB mats, I dropped a small screwdriver on one from about 20 inches high, yep it landed pointy end first and took a small chunk out of the rubber!

I can imagine what my Boxer's nails would do to those in short order, bet they would be shredded.

Ahh, the smell of formaldehyde in the morning, at least if you smell it you know it's not in your veins yet in a prone position!

That wood grain looks nice in the pics, but does anyone have them? Those locking tabs along the sides are very pronounced on the HB flooring as well s in that multicolor stuff above, if I had the wood grain I wouldn't want to see those locking tabs and they were also uneven, the edges weren't always laying flat. Guess you could glue them together! (?)

I think by the time I get the van loaded with stuff, my Boxer (Katie) will only have about 20" x 48/50" and between the front seats to roam around, she'll be rather confined on the road, so I don't see her sliding too far. But she has a heck of a time chasing her ball in the house, fun to watch her.... :))

When we park to camp, we'll have more living space but she shouldn't have a problem then.....unless I'm parked on a steep sloop!

Any ideas as to laying the lam flooring over the existing carpet and pad with a thinner sub-floor allowing it to flex a bit more?

Guess I can trade my HB mats in on some knee pads at HB....LOL
Original Poster [OP]
Ozarker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby Bread Van » May 4th 2017, 10:23pm

Put the foam pads down ant then get a cheap area rug to go over the top. Something you can remove easily and clean.

I just use towels and fleece blankets. Sure they aren't pretty but sometimes you just have to give in on the prettiness factor when you have dogs. I love the fleece blankets because I have huskies...lotsa fur. It sticks to the fleece. I just take it out and run it through the laundry after every trip/major wet muddy hike. Not perfect but so it goes with dogs. Nothing is ever perfect anymore buy you have the love of dog to take the place of perfection ! :D

By the way. Everything discussed in this thread is the reason I still have the factory carpeting in my van...despite the desire to remove it.

My buddies have a really super fancy, expensive Sprinter camper from Outside Van. They also have two dogs. Their Sprinter has a fancy, but slippery easy clean floor. They love it, dogs hate it. Their solution was getting one of those heavy-duty, and very heavy, entry mats they use in stores/commercial spaces. You know, they kind the cleaning company comes and swaps out every so often. Pretty sure they got it at Costco and it can be cleaned with a hose.

That said we get away with just hosing stuff out pretty easy in Utah because we can hang dry things very easily and thoroughly.
Bread Van
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Bread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA): mapper
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch lift

Postby Ozarker [OP] » May 23rd 2017, 9:31pm

Thanks Bread Van, that's a good one on cmmercial entry mats, know what you're talking about.

Since then (above) my GF sold her exercise bike and guess what that monster was sitting on, a thick heavy duty exercise mat, sometimes used in gyms in the weight lifting area! Said she had more in storage, all donated for the project.

That stuff might go over a wood lam floor, we can hose off the mat.......that should do it!

Thanks for the input guys, all good stuff, even if I didn't get pics posted up! Sorry 'bout that, lol :)
Original Poster [OP]
Ozarker
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)