Airbag Light is on: Why?

Airbag Light is on: Why?

Postby longyard [OP] » May 17th 2011, 5:31am

My airbag light came on today for the first time. It occasionally goes off, but will soon come on again when driving. Any ideas? Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
longyard
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: longyard has been a member for 3 full yearslongyard has been a member for 3 full yearslongyard has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Airbag Light is on: Why?

Postby rev_les » May 19th 2011, 2:20am

Check the wiring and connectors to the airbags and SRS module and make sure a connector didn't get knocked loose or one of the wires got chafed or broken. If you have a friend with a Tech 2, it might be a good time to pull a favor! I don't know of any inexpensive scanners that will read SRS codes.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Les
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby longyard [OP] » May 19th 2011, 5:22pm

rev_les wrote:Check the wiring and connectors to the airbags and SRS module and make sure a connector didn't get knocked loose or one of the wires got chafed or broken. If you have a friend with a Tech 2, it might be a good time to pull a favor! I don't know of any inexpensive scanners that will read SRS codes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm wondering if some moisture got into the SRS module connection while I've been doing a major "refreshing" of many components.
Original Poster [OP]
longyard
Years of Membership: longyard has been a member for 3 full yearslongyard has been a member for 3 full yearslongyard has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby rev_les » May 24th 2011, 9:04pm

It's possible moisture could have gotten in one . If you've been running wire under the carpet or cutting anywhere near the harnesses or the carpet, I'd look there too. Checking for airbag lights is a daily ritual for me, lol...we reupholster new cars with leather, and occasionally ya knock a plug loose or one doesn't reconnect completely. You'd be amazed at how elaborate the SRS system is on these new vehicles....weight sensors in the seat tracks,passenger sensors ( and kiddy seat sensors) in the passenger seat, some of these damned cars have rear airbags now too, aside from the "curtain" airbags..........pretty soon it'll be like "Demolition Man" where it just instantly fills the car up with foam to retain you, lol.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby Boazmojica » May 24th 2012, 2:41pm

I am having the same issue with my Astro, airbag light. Can you explain to me where the SRS sensor is and when you say air bags, how do I get to them? Also the wiring harness that was mentioned in the latter post. Thanks
Boazmojica
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Boazmojica has been a member for 3 full yearsBoazmojica has been a member for 3 full yearsBoazmojica has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Boaz
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD