Camper conversion desings

Camper conversion desings

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 24th 2011, 6:37am

Thought I'd put some ideas into design. There will be a 36 qt. 12v cooler that's good to 40*, a 550 watt 12v microwave and the 18" LCD/DVD that will wired into the car stereo. I think I can get an adapter to plug the HDMI on the TV into the USB cable on the stereo, and of course the stereo has a remote. I'll use a pressure switch to switch the stereo power to draw off the dry cells when I slide the TV out of it's cabinet behind the drivers seat.
The kitchen will slide out the back and then pivot up and slightly back into to van. It'll have 2 or 3 burners and probably just run off of small propane canisters, as well as a sink with an electric pump to draw water from an on board water can. Seeing I have dutch doors, that will provide some cover from the weather, but I will also make a tent type set up that will drape over the hatch and make 3 walls to completely in close the cooking area. I thought that this would work great for a shower as well using a solar shower bag. I could have a wooden grate to toss on the ground for showering. I'll make a nice sized awning for the slider, roughly 10x12 that will attach to anchor points on the roof and will break down so that it can be folded up for storage. The bed will be a steel frame and spruce slats like a Swedish bed frame and 4" foam, at 48x72 it's only 6" narrower then a twin bed. About 2' of the head section will raise up 6" or so for reading/watching movies. I'll install a roof fan in the square spot in front of the 3rd brake light as well as a 12v heater in passenger side cabinet and an outlet wired to a inverter, which will be wired to 2 deep cycle dry cells mounted under the van. I haven't quite figured out the table yet. Either a recessed floor mount, or maybe an arm the pivots out of a wall cabinet and the top stored under the bed.
Attachments
camper bed1.jpg
camper bed2.jpg
camper bed3.jpg
camper seat4.jpg
camper seat5.jpg
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 260
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Conversion van sliding windows
    by AstroBear » February 20th 2017, 7:43pm in Interior
    2 Replies
    Last post by WoodButcher View the latest post
    March 11th 2017, 4:10pm
  • Installing bench/bed in front row of an Astro Conversion??
    by COSMAL » September 29th 2016, 9:44pm in Interior
    4 Replies
    Last post by Tremelune View the latest post
    October 11th 2016, 8:04pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 26th 2017, 3:47pm

Re: Camper conversion desings

Postby Big_kid » November 25th 2011, 2:55am

Looks like quite a project- I look forward to seeing it as it unfolds. You might stop by some popup camper sites for ideas, you never know what you might find and adapt to your install. Maybe even find an old camper cheap/free on Craigslist or someplace to use for parts & ideas. I have a channel in my shed that holds an awning, I've thought about putting it over my slider before. I don't car camp very often so I haven't done it yet even though I do have an awning in a bag that would work with it.

There's a lot of popup sites out there, I visit popupportal.com fairly often.
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=forum scroll down to "the garage", the 'mods' ad the 'restorations' boards might have something of interest for you.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 138
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby paintdrying » November 25th 2011, 3:06am

Moving into the van? not a bad way to go.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 94
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby Jasen [OP] » November 25th 2011, 7:42am

It'll be a bit before I can do this one.
1. Need a job
2. Need our own place (still at the MIL, see 1.)
3. Set up shop again (see 1. and 2.)
4. Buy Express/Savanna for a work van (see1.)
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full yearsJasen has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 260
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door