Does anyone know the wiring for the temp/compass

Does anyone know the wiring for the temp/compass

Postby dectar99 [OP] » January 16th 2012, 12:30am

I have a 96 Astro that has the temp/compass console & my son wants to put one is his non GM car, so does anyone know what wires go were, the display has a 6 wire plug
Original Poster [OP]
dectar99
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: dectar99 has been a member for 2 full yearsdectar99 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): alex
Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Re: Does anyone know the wiring for the temp/compass

Postby Phantom » January 16th 2012, 4:38pm

dectar99 wrote:I have a 96 Astro that has the temp/compass console & my son wants to put one is his non GM car, so does anyone know what wires go were, the display has a 6 wire plug

What console does your son have , or has he got one yet , the computer in the display in is called a DIC driver information center , and there are a couple different versions , one having a 'mode' button that indicates that it can display mpg readings as well as other info , is your 6 wire plug the one that plugs on to the overhead or under the dash? what color is the plug connector?
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby dectar99 [OP] » January 17th 2012, 3:44am

Thanks for the reply.... The console he picked up only has the compass/temp. that I know of there are no part # on the unit, but it's just like my 96 has...the on/off & met/us buttons. The car he wants to put it in does not have a electronic speedo just the old cable type so I don't think the newer DIC with the MPG/Trip will work without the electronic speedo to tell it what's the speed & distance is.... or am I wrong???? :confused:
The 6 wire plug is the one in the back of the DIC
BLK/WHT
GRN/BLK
BRN
YEL
GRY
DR GRN
I am kinda guessing on the last 3 the wires look kinda faded
Original Poster [OP]
dectar99
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: dectar99 has been a member for 2 full yearsdectar99 has been a member for 2 full years

Postby Phantom » January 17th 2012, 5:59am

dectar99 wrote:Thanks for the reply.... The console he picked up only has the compass/temp. that I know of there are no part # on the unit, but it's just like my 96 has...the on/off & met/us buttons. The car he wants to put it in does not have a electronic speedo just the old cable type so I don't think the newer DIC with the MPG/Trip will work without the electronic speedo to tell it what's the speed & distance is.... or am I wrong???? :confused:
The 6 wire plug is the one in the back of the DIC
BLK/WHT
GRN/BLK
BRN
YEL
GRY
DR GRN
I am kinda guessing on the last 3 the wires look kinda faded

Do you have a pic? what color is the plastic plug at the end of the wires?
Does this plug go into the computer display or is it at the other end that goes into the vehicle wire harness , reason I ask is sometimes people just snip wires leaving the plug that goes into vehicle harness , and it makes a difference in determining which diagram is needed .does the console have 2 separate plug connectors , ?
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years

Postby dectar99 [OP] » January 17th 2012, 6:07am

Will have to take a pic, the plug is the one that goes into the back of the display, it's been cut so no plugs on the other end
Original Poster [OP]
dectar99
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby dectar99 [OP] » January 18th 2012, 4:38am

here is the pic of the connector
Attachments
DIC...jpg
DIC...jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 605 times
Original Poster [OP]
dectar99
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Phantom » January 18th 2012, 5:45am

Do you have the entire overhead console ,, that has reading lamps and such?
You will need to have a temperature sensor and wiring so that the DIC gets the temp to display , it mounts on the front of the center radiator support right behind the grille .
The factory wiring only shows how the entire console including the reading lamps are wired , it not gonna be pin for pin of the DIC , but at least 3 wires seem to be easy to wire up , I will have to look at a couple other documents to see if they offer more info.
Attachments
Air Temp Sensor.JPG
Temp sensor location.JPG
Temp sensor location.JPG (32.5 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Phantom

Postby dectar99 [OP] » January 18th 2012, 6:09am

The temp sender is not a problem, I know were there are several. The wiring, I am thinking one wire goes to the DIC & the other is ether power or ground will have to check my 96.
I have the complete console with lights, & they have a plug of there own so I can take care of that no problem
If you can find a factory wiring & post it, that might help
Original Poster [OP]
dectar99
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Phantom » January 18th 2012, 11:44pm

On the GM products the air temp sensor is wired into the horn circuit , but yes there are 2 wires on the sensor the green wire that goes to the console and a black wire that goes to ground.
here is the wiring for a 99 , the wiring diagrams are such that they consider the console as a whole complete unit , as it is connected into the wiring of the van , so if it goes bad it is simply unplugged and replaced with a new console . As in if a capacitor goes bad on a circuit board you replace the board instead of the capacitor , When the DIC is removed from the console it will then differ from the wiring diagram , it can still be worked out and work correctly it is just that you have to do more testing for proper connection hookup.
Attachments
Astro Overhead Console Cicuit.pdf
(191.87 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Phantom

Postby dectar99 [OP] » January 19th 2012, 3:24am

Thanks I kinda though the second wire would be a ground... I tried to open the file you sent, but get a message that the file is damaged & can't be repaired. Can you check the file & resend or give me a link to were I can find it.
Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
dectar99
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Phantom » January 19th 2012, 4:54am

There is no link to post , but it downloaded for me fine , you may have something on your pc preventing it ,, and the site is still being tweaked , i notice the ads in the middle of the thread , not normal , a change may have happened when you tried , give another try
Phantom