Help with noisy speedo cable

Help with noisy speedo cable

Postby jsmitherson [OP] » February 24th 2012, 4:55am

Good evening all, been lurking for a bit and finally registered.

Quick question - using some guidance from other posts in this forum, I was able to replace my headlight switch successfully. I wanted to lubricate the gas gauge and oil the speedo cable while I was in there (speedo is getting increasingly noisy lately) but I just wasn't able to get the IP out far enough to even see the back, let alone get a hand back there to disconnect the cable. Any tips or pictures of where the cable's connected? Should I just go ahead and yank on the IP a little more? I was getting about an inch of play at most.

Also, I've heard not to use wd-40 for the speedo cable - what should I use? Same for the gas gauge (sticks, even with vehicle off).

Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
jsmitherson
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jsmitherson has been a member for 2 full yearsjsmitherson has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 2
Year: 1986
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: motorhome

Re: Help with noisy speedo cable

Postby Phantom » February 24th 2012, 5:14am

The older vans with speedo cable have a clip you need to pres down on while pulling the cable off from the rear side , Gen2 speedo you can pull from the front , but the older Gen1 you have to reach behind the dash and pull cable from the backside, you can lubricate the speedo cable with graphite powder , you'll need to disconnect it from the transmission as well

here how someone lubed thier gas gauge
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13422&p=143208&hilit=fuel+gauge#p143208
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby jsmitherson [OP] » February 24th 2012, 9:25am

I guess I just don't know what I'm looking for under there. Are you saying that with the trim pieces off I should be able to reach up and disconnect the speedo cable without moving the IP forward first?

Why would I need to remove the cable from the transmission in order to lubricate it? Isn't the noise pretty much just on the dash end?
Original Poster [OP]
jsmitherson
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jsmitherson has been a member for 2 full yearsjsmitherson has been a member for 2 full years

Postby Jasen » February 24th 2012, 12:14pm

You should pull the cable out of the casing and lube the whole thing. Graphite has been mentioned but I've never used it, I just use lithium grease.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby RECox286 » February 24th 2012, 6:34pm

Graphite is the recommended lubricant, anything else will gel and collect dirt, making it worse. You may want to think about

pulling the cable and replacing it with a new one in the old sheath. They do break occasionally. Sometimes if you are pulling

on the I/P, the "clip" will not release easily, in which case you will want to push on the I/P while trying to work the clip. Not

the easiest, because of the lack of hand room behind the panel, but doable.

Not sure about what the problem is with the gas gage. It is an electrical device, and should not need lubrication. If you mean

that the needle is sticking and you have to use repair proceedure number one, then just give it a tap now and again. Is the

needle bent and catching on the scale ?

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby jsmitherson [OP] » April 12th 2012, 12:40am

How often is the cluster itself the culprit? I'm still getting noise after lubricating the cable.
Original Poster [OP]
jsmitherson
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)