water leak under dash

water leak under dash

Postby Loyda [OP] » October 25th 2012, 4:55am

Have a 95 astro , that when it rains water leaks into the interior under the passenger side dash, onto the floor
Any ideas? maybe a plug or a drain hose ?
Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
Loyda
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Loyda has been a member for 3 full yearsLoyda has been a member for 3 full yearsLoyda has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 3
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: water leak under dash

Postby astroracer » October 25th 2012, 12:38pm

Pull the cowl screen (under the windshield wipers) and look for a plugged drain or a rust hole in the cowl. Leaves and dirt collect in there and can rust it out.
Mark
2004 Astro
2002 Collector Edition Trans Am
2001 Astro (the wifes)
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1992 Astro 288K (gave to my brother-in-law, now has >316K)
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
astroracer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 4 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 4 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 4 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Year: 1988

Postby Philly758 » October 25th 2012, 2:03pm

I know you said this is after it rains and you may be right... But the last time I had water on my passenger side floor it was leaking from my heater core and smelled terrible. It was around this time of the year when I started running my heat again.
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
2000 GMC Safari SLE, AWD - 118k+
- Lifted with 22-687 leaf springs and 2" blocks
- Cooper AT3 30x9.5's on Cragar Soft 8's
- Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
- TruCool Trans Cooler
- Corvette Servo
- Moog steering
- Bilstein HD's
- 3.73 G80
Philly758
Years of Membership: Philly758 has been a member for 3 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 3 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 31
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE AWD

Postby chrisgerman1983 » October 25th 2012, 2:30pm

I have given this advice before but it really does work very well... Tonic water and a black light is the best way of tracking down a leak. Have somebody inside (in the dark) with a black light while you pour a couple bottles of tonic water over the window or wherever you suspect the leak is coming from. The tonic will glow bright green and you will know exactly where its coming from. My wife had a leak in here car that lead me to ripping out the interior and truck bed lining the entire car and sealing every crack or weld I could find... it still leaked :banghead: then I found out that tonic water glows, found the leak in less then five minutes. It turned out that the fresh air valve was letting water in...
chrisgerman1983
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: chrisgerman1983 has been a member for 2 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Year: 1996

Postby Big_kid » October 26th 2012, 12:30am

I never knew that- thanks for the tip!

When my wife's Villager was leaking I ended up taking out the interior, sprinkling it with baby powder, and spraying down the outside with the garden hose. It was under the cowl, exactly where I never did find. I sprayed a boatload of undercoating at the general area and sealed it that way.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 77
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby sfeaver » October 26th 2012, 12:50am

When mine leaked onto the passenger side floor mat, it was the windshield at the top left corner... Lifting up the seal, and adding some windsheild urethane fixed it up. try spraying the hose on the van and see where it comes from..

I like the tonic water idea too, didnt know a UV light would light it up!
sfeaver
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 5 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 5 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 5 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 5 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Scott
Year: 1997
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby Loyda [OP] » October 26th 2012, 2:54am

Its definitely isnt coolant, will try looking in the cowl sat
Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
Loyda
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Loyda has been a member for 3 full yearsLoyda has been a member for 3 full yearsLoyda has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Lumpy » October 26th 2012, 4:02pm

I didn't know about the tonic water trick either. Maybe that's why scorpions glow green under blacklight. They must drink the stuff.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 152
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby Loyda [OP] » October 28th 2012, 5:00pm

poured water in the cowl vent , all around windshield and above doors and didnt leak ! weird that it only leaks when it rains ????
strange !
Original Poster [OP]
Loyda
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby sfeaver » October 28th 2012, 5:16pm

I had a leak that I had to pull the fender off. The body seam sealer had dried out and was leaking in there... If you have an air compressor, spray soapy water around the top of your windshield seal. Then blow air from the inside around the perimiter of the windshield. I had a leak there once and that was a fairly easy way to find it.
sfeaver
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 5 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 5 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 5 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 5 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Scott
Year: 1997
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby diego89 » October 29th 2012, 10:25pm

When mine had a leak the passenger side would get wet.. water was getting in through the back door from the plastic that holds down the carper. Silicon took care of the problem
diego89
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: diego89 has been a member for 5 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 5 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 5 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 5 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 40
Extra Info: with opt. hydraulics

Postby chrisgerman1983 » October 30th 2012, 2:55pm

sfeaver wrote:I had a leak that I had to pull the fender off. The body seam sealer had dried out and was leaking in there... If you have an air compressor, spray soapy water around the top of your windshield seal. Then blow air from the inside around the perimiter of the windshield. I had a leak there once and that was a fairly easy way to find it.

good idea!
chrisgerman1983
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: chrisgerman1983 has been a member for 2 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Year: 1996