Camperized Astro/Safari - Share your pictures

Re: Camperized Astro/Safari - Share your pictures

Postby HotWire » December 24th 2015, 6:40am

Gideon33w wrote:I just read through your entire build thread, ha-ha. Very nice build quality through and through.

Convert your batteries amp hour rating to watt hours and then divide by the coolers power draw (approx 40watts continuous). That will tell you the maximum hours of operation. Obviously if you have the vehicle running and charging the battery that time won't count.

For sizing Camper solar the best bet is to find your average continuous power draw in watts and then use a panel rated for 4x that. Flat mounted panels only provide ~2/3rds rated output and only collect for an average of 8 hours per day (1/3rd of a day) so the 4x rule is helpful. That said, anything helps, ha-ha.

Let me know what you and the misses think of the bed width. We are having a debate on the matter as to what is the best compromise between comfort and space-savings.

If this reply is to me, thanks!
My wife has said that anything over the 36" Twin mattress we shared on our wedding night is good enough :rofl:

Some good battery info here: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... docId=1019
HotWire
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 87 Astro Cluster Swap
    by shinguki » January 3rd 2017, 6:41am in Interior
    3 Replies
    Last post by shinguki View the latest post
    January 3rd 2017, 10:29pm
  • How to remove seatbelts from 98 Astro?
    by Astrodawn » February 28th 2017, 5:06pm in Interior
    23 Replies
    Last post by Wimpazz View the latest post
    March 4th 2017, 2:33am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 23rd 2017, 1:07pm

Postby AstroWill » December 24th 2015, 7:46am

Not much sleeping going on with a twin mattress ;)
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 63
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby Gideon33w » December 24th 2015, 5:54pm

HotWire wrote:
If this reply is to me, thanks!
My wife has said that anything over the 36" Twin mattress we shared on our wedding night is good enough :rofl:

Some good battery info here: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... docId=1019

Lol. We are both small people so I'm sure we can deal with a pretty narrow bed. I just have a lot of back pain from the Army and need room to adjust in the night as needed. I think that next time we are at the mall I will have us lay together on a twin and see what we think.

Nice fab work by the way. I wish I was still setup for welding. Of course, I might go crazy with building in that case, ha-ha.
95 Astro long custom travel camper project
Gideon33w
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Gideon33w has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 8
Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3L RWD Camper

Postby jmeb » January 5th 2016, 6:38pm

Few update photos of Bessie the sometimes-camper van. My setup is focused on a quick conversion between passenger carry and sleeping modes -- ~5 minutes.

Last fall I built a wood table in the rear to replace a pop-up plastic one. While the plastic one sort of worked, I wanted to get the perfectly dialed in size so that I could put the rear seat up with the table still in the up position, and minimize gaps when the rear seat is laid flat. It took an afternoon of drinking beer and hammering a few nails. Total cost for "camper" mods is <$100 for wood + pop-up table + a few rubber backed carpet mats cut to size.

Last few weeks I've been testing it on winter-overnights near my home ski area of Loveland. The back table + folded rear seat + pop-up 4'x2' plastic table (with legs sawed off for height) provides my sleeping platform. Messy interior looks something like this.

Which before bed provides a nice table to put my feet up, drink tea and whiskey and read a book

Before bed and after I wake up I use a Little Buddy heater to stay warm (along with cracked windows for cross draft and a battery powered O2/CO2 sensor)

And as a breakfast table

With the bedding stowed away behind the back seat.

Rear doors provide a nice platform for throwing on skins, giving skis a quick once over, etc. Underneath the rear table provides lots of storage for wet gear, while bedding stays dry on top.
Bessie: 2001 AWD @ 180K. Sold.
Storm: 2001 AWD @ 133K. 3" lift, swivels, racks galore, being camperized.
jmeb
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: jmeb has been a member for 2 full yearsjmeb has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 7
Year: 2001
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Harleybowtie » February 1st 2016, 12:34am

Took advantage of the January thaw to set up my EZY awning from the Bus Depot. It's 8' X 11' so it covers the whole side
of the van.
I need to tweak the suction cup roof mounts but it's all good.
I'll do a follow up with the suction cups.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

The awning is meant to clamp onto the gutter rail on VW Bus. Since Astro's don't have gutters,
they sell a suction cup set-up that looks like this.
Suction Cups.jpg
Suction Cups.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
Harleybowtie
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Harleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 15
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Harleybowtie » February 3rd 2016, 6:48pm

I modified some Heavy Duty suction cups I had by adding a 5/16" X 1" carriage bolts. Then I got some tubing and cut two
pieces 5" long. Split those pieces in two and welded a connector nut to each. A lot of grinding & filing later I screwed the
"t"s to the cups and had a better version of the $54 store bought set up. Using the clamps from the Bus Depot this should
work great. I also have two extra that I set up with caribiner anchors to be used with bungees or parracord as needed.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg
Harleybowtie
Years of Membership: Harleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full years

Postby WoodButcher » February 3rd 2016, 11:43pm

I like that HB, nice work on the cups too!
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby Lumpy » February 4th 2016, 1:16am

Harleybowtie wrote:
... I also have two extra that I set up with caribiner anchors to be used with bungees or parracord as needed.

Post a source for those little bent, anchor things, please?

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Harleybowtie » February 4th 2016, 2:18am

Lumpy, I don't know exactly where I got those but here's one on the Ebay. They come in different sizes.Used by rock/mountain climbers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-GM-Stainless-Steel-Climbing-Rock-Climbing-Anchor-Hanging-Bolt-Hanger-New-/281496894710?hash=item418a85bcf6:g:8V8AAOSw9N1Vgj7t

DSC06621.jpg
Harleybowtie

Postby Lumpy » February 4th 2016, 8:46pm

Anchor point thingie...thanks.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby tweederhill » February 29th 2016, 10:57am

jmeb wrote:Few update photos of Bessie the sometimes-camper van. My setup is focused on a quick conversion between passenger carry and sleeping modes -- ~5 minutes.

Last fall I built a wood table in the rear to replace a pop-up plastic one. While the plastic one sort of worked, I wanted to get the perfectly dialed in size so that I could put the rear seat up with the table still in the up position, and minimize gaps when the rear seat is laid flat. It took an afternoon of drinking beer and hammering a few nails. Total cost for "camper" mods is <$100 for wood + pop-up table + a few rubber backed carpet mats cut to size.

Last few weeks I've been testing it on winter-overnights near my home ski area of Loveland. The back table + folded rear seat + pop-up 4'x2' plastic table (with legs sawed off for height) provides my sleeping platform. Messy interior looks something like this.

I'm thinking of going this rout. Where did you stow the table when you weren't using it?
The only other thing I'm worried about it losing all the storage space I have in the back. I currently have the front bench seat in and a bed platform built behind it to match the hight of the set when it's laying flat. In terms of usable space inside other than sleeping, this isn't the best design and so I'm looking for new ones. Ideally, I'd love to have a sofa bed in the back instead of the stock seat. Did you recently replace this van?
tweederhill
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: tweederhill has been a member for 2 full yearstweederhill has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Extra Info: AWD LS 2 Inch Lift

Postby tweederhill » March 1st 2016, 10:32am

Astro Pop wrote:I've just finished setting up my camping conversion. I have to thank the contributors from the forum to make it all work. I didn't go about rebuilding the wheel I just used the ideas from here. Specifically:

castlerox - His wonder table was the final piece for the bed. I also saved the pieces from the sawed off legs and put them into 1" PVC pipe. I can them reinstall them on the tabe to take it back up to normal height when not sleeping on it. Makes a table if there are not picnic tables available.

Hey, what table brand is that and what are its dimensions? Do you have an amazon or ebay link to the one you used? I've also seen some collapsible tables with adjustable legs like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-4428-Adj ... ible+table

...but I'm not sure what dimensions I'm looking for exactly. Any help you have will be greatly appreciated!
tweederhill
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: tweederhill has been a member for 2 full yearstweederhill has been a member for 2 full years
Extra Info: AWD LS 2 Inch Lift

Postby jmeb » March 9th 2016, 4:55am

tweederhill wrote:I'm thinking of going this rout. Where did you stow the table when you weren't using it?
The only other thing I'm worried about it losing all the storage space I have in the back. I currently have the front bench seat in and a bed platform built behind it to match the hight of the set when it's laying flat. In terms of usable space inside other than sleeping, this isn't the best design and so I'm looking for new ones. Ideally, I'd love to have a sofa bed in the back instead of the stock seat. Did you recently replace this van?

Slow response but....

Rear table stays in 95% of the time. The folding table simply gets folded down and put on the ground when not in use. This is a minor bother but not huge. Typically when I'm camping it simply gets thrown outside as a table.

I've currently got the pictured one for sale, including the bed setup. I'm building a new rear platform around a similar sleep setup in the next few weeks. New design is simpler to construct, better storage space, and I expect studier. It'll use the same top (birch plywood), two supporting 1x4s width-wise underneath inset a few inches from the edge (may just wood glue together to keep top nice), threaded galvanized pipe and flanges to connect to the 1x4s for legs. Importantly instead of placing the legs as far out as possible, I'll be lining them up with the rear bench mounts to allow more through storage of longer things. I carry a lot of skis/poles.
Bessie: 2001 AWD @ 180K. Sold.
Storm: 2001 AWD @ 133K. 3" lift, swivels, racks galore, being camperized.
jmeb
Years of Membership: jmeb has been a member for 2 full yearsjmeb has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 7

Postby LAZ 1 » April 17th 2016, 6:49am

20150611_123545.jpg

Over the last 50 years, I HAVE camperised several vans,
BUT ....
now that I am not as nimble and flexible as I once was,
and now that my definition of "travelling light" includes a 6" thick memory foam mattress
I need more space.

PLUS,
I got tired of working inside the rounded compound curve structures.

SO,
my solution is to simply hack off the back of an AWD Safari van, and build a simple rectangular box ... aka ... a CLASS C mini motorhome.

The old/discontinued factory built TIGER Astro/Safari motorhome conversions were my inspiration,
but I wanted some thing a bit lighter, simpler, and much sturdier for "OVERLANDING' ...
or at the least, for long trips down roads less travelled.

So here is my interpretation of an AWD "home for wayward boys".

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"
LAZ 1
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: LAZ 1 has been a member for 2 full yearsLAZ 1 has been a member for 2 full years
Year: 1999

Postby Harleybowtie » June 12th 2016, 9:59pm

A few posts back I showed my Bus Stop awning/canopy. I got the front & side wall panels this week so I thought I'd try them out.

DSCN8700.jpg

DSCN8709.jpg

DSCN8719.jpg

DSCN8723.jpg

DSCN8724.jpg
Harleybowtie

Postby sdjeremyv » June 20th 2016, 2:43am

So I have been working on getting the first stage of camperization. Bed platform and privacy are done. Now I am working on ventilation and storage. Coming soon electricity. Oh and the wife has started decorating.
Attachments
20160528_164235.jpg
20160528_171804.jpg
20160530_115455.jpg
Astro Clyde
sdjeremyv
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: sdjeremyv has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Astro Clyde
Year: 2003
Extra Info: LT AWD Cadet Blue

Postby 97cargocrawler » June 20th 2016, 3:43pm

Nice curtains! :thumbup:
97cargocrawler
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L5)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): CC, CARGO, CRAWLER, ASSHOLE
Year: 1997

Postby smoothrides » July 4th 2016, 4:43am

I'm new to the site, but this is my 3rd Astro/Safari. I use them as delivery vehicles for my business, but also as stealth campers. I have been looking around the web trying to find a low profile bed frame in an Astro but couldnt find exactly what I was after.

I just picked up this 2003 passenger van last week and wanted to build a bed frame for camping that could be easily assembled/disassembled, as well as provide the maximum amount of unobstructed storage space below.

I ended up building the frame out of 3/4" structural metal pipe and fittings from Lowes, and using 2x8's cut to 78" for the platform. I cut the legs 18" so I could store roughneck totes and my cooler, while still being able to put my knees up when Im on the bed. The frame is 54" wide to fit firmly against the outside.

I just used it camping the last two nights with two of us sleeping and no flex on the frame. I think you could easily use 3/4" plywood and achieve the same results.

Frame was pretty spendy at around $200 and the 2x8s were another $40. But it's exactly what I wanted.
Attachments
20160702_131136.jpg
20160702_142204.jpg
20160702_142213.jpg
20160702_143142.jpg
20160702_191911.jpg
20160702_191506.jpg
smoothrides
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby drivethruecp » July 5th 2016, 4:46am

20160703_163259.jpg
20160703_161934.jpg
20160703_163157.jpg

Campervan conversion in progress
drivethruecp
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: drivethruecp has been a member for 1 full year
Alias (AKA): Stromad
Year: 2005
Extra Info: Stromad AWD

Postby AZAstroVanNovice » July 5th 2016, 5:51am

Drivethruecp, do you have a build thread?
AZAstroVanNovice
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: AZAstroVanNovice has been a member for 1 full year
Alias (AKA): AZ Astro Van
Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD LT Astro

PreviousNext