Camperized Astro/Safari - Share your pictures

Re: Camperized Astro/Safari - Share your pictures

Postby Harleybowtie » October 2nd 2013, 1:17am

Thanks cowboydan, to tell the truth I haven't gotten that far yet. I suppose on grass the poles could be pushed into the ground. Guy ropes & stakes.
On pavement weights or sandbags might do the trick.
Harleybowtie
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Harleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 15
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 87 Astro Cluster Swap
    by shinguki » January 3rd 2017, 6:41am in Interior
    3 Replies
    Last post by shinguki View the latest post
    January 3rd 2017, 10:29pm
  • 03 astro climate control bulbs
    by 1lowcab » February 6th 2017, 12:33am in Interior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Birdshake View the latest post
    February 7th 2017, 2:47am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2017, 6:46am

Postby cowboydan » October 2nd 2013, 1:30am

Pavement will be an issue for sure. you could make some removable feet for pavement, that could have provisions for tent pegs.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby SilverBullet1997 » October 8th 2013, 4:53pm

Haven't done this mod yet, but been thinking about it for when I really go to start camping in my van.

I in the future want to put a remote start on the van for two reasons, one I hate going out to a super cold van in the morning, and two, I want to install an IdleRight http://idleright.havis.com/ control Module
IdleRight wrote:Save Fuel and Reduce Idle Time

The Havis IdleRight Fuel Management System is a purpose-built idle reduction system designed to allow emergency vehicles to be parked with warning lights flashing continuously while minimizing engine idle time and decreasing fuel consumption.

The IdleRight2 is the next generation of Havis Idle Reduction systems. It is designed to work with many popular after-market remote starters, which greatly simplifies installation. The IdleRight2 also features an LED diagnostics system and Return on Investment (ROI) calculator, as well as a new, lower price.

Which I think could be great for running electronics in the van all night long when camping. If the battery gets to an undesired level, the van will start up recharge the battery and then shut off. Also I have 'Emergency Flashers/Strobes' installed on my van and if I were to leave them running for an extended period of time I would want the system to start/stop my van.

IdleRight wrote:Designed to work with many popular after-market remote starters, the IdleRight2 monitors the battery's voltage while the vehicle is turned off and your electronics are still on. If the voltage of the battery drops below a pre-set level, it triggers the remote starter to idle your vehicle. The system then runs the engine to charge the battery, turns the vehicle off, and begins the process again.

The simplicity of the new Havis Idle Reduction System is what makes it perfect for any fleet. Once installed in your vehicle, IdleRight2 will use your light bar or other electronic component as a signal to engage. So, all you have to do is turn the light bar switch on, turn your vehicle off, and walk away -- IdleRight2 will take it from there.

I think this would be good if you liked to listen to the radio at night, or had a small plug in heater on board, or a fan for the hotter climates, maybe a small TV and game console. Who knows, but I am sure it could come in handy with the right applications.

IdleRight Systems are Compatible with these Remote Start Models

VIPER Model 5101 Two-Way System
Python Model 1401/4102P Two-Way System
Clifford Model 4203X Two-Way System
Avital Model 4113 One-Way System
R.I.P 1997 Astro AWD SilverBullet 4-9-1997 to 2-17-2015 - Cause of death: Rear-ended
1999 Astro AWD SilverBullet II 1-4-1999 - Present

http://youtu.be/D1zn5ppLI6g & http://youtu.be/KkFaZXo2KL4 <- My First Van Offroading @ Tahuya
SilverBullet1997
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: SilverBullet1997 has been a member for 3 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 3 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Silver or Bullet or SB
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 7in Lift AWD Z71

Postby kkesler » October 16th 2013, 1:49pm

Only picture I have of mine in "camp mode" is of the AC. I have a fridge and microwave I stack/strap on a luggage dolly and then set in the back, use a cot to sleep on. Generator (if I need it) goes on the cargo carrier or trailer.

kkesler
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: kkesler has been a member for 5 full yearskkesler has been a member for 5 full yearskkesler has been a member for 5 full yearskkesler has been a member for 5 full yearskkesler has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby chevymaher » October 16th 2013, 2:48pm

Awsome job on the air conditioner.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby kkesler » October 16th 2013, 4:41pm

chevymaher wrote:Awsome job on the air conditioner.

I just cut a board to fit where the passenger side door fits, once you close the other doors it's tight and doesn't move. I put a hefty bag over the open door in case it rains.
kkesler
Years of Membership: kkesler has been a member for 5 full yearskkesler has been a member for 5 full yearskkesler has been a member for 5 full yearskkesler has been a member for 5 full yearskkesler has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18

Postby MrBob » October 16th 2013, 5:12pm

Philly758 wrote:Hmmm the perfect place to post some recent pictures of my van interior.

I've been traveling in my Astro with an almost identical setup for almost a month. I didn't have much time to put a rig together so it's the best I could do on short notice.
So far, the setup works okay for me. It's a little cramped but cozy. I'm in Colorado now and the colder weather is a challenge. I have a Little Buddy heater I bought at Cabellas that takes off the chill but I don't run it all night. For curtains I bought some cheap towels at Walmart and added adhesive backed Velcro.

I settled on just using a cot bungeed down to the seat mounts on the floor. Lightweight, comfortable and easily removed. Plus underneath makes for excellent storage. My new LED lights are pretty cool too.

In progress. Definitely needs a passenger seat swivel base. Also need to figure out a good way to build a small kitchenette on the rear passenger side too. The one pictured above with the sink looks pretty good.

MrBob
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MrBob has been a member for 3 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 3 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Mr. Bob
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

Postby MrBob » October 22nd 2013, 7:12pm

Here's a photo of one of my curtains. It's a Walmart bath towel, on sale for 3.95 each. They fit the windows almost perfectly and the dark color blocks a lot of light.
Walmart also has Velcro with adhesive backs. Use alcohol to clean the vinyl before applying. The Velcro on the towels gets stitched on.
I can get all of the curtains up in about a minute.
Later on, I found almost identical towels for a dollar each at the second hand store.
Attachments
DSC_0845.JPG
MrBob
Years of Membership: MrBob has been a member for 3 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 3 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 3 full years

Postby chevymaher » October 24th 2013, 1:33pm

Here is some tents. The Del Mar style seems to be made for a van.
http://tentsonarack.com/

tent.jpg
tent.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 6853 times
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby grond » November 13th 2013, 11:00pm

I wish I had thought to take a picture or two of the inside...

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

I slept in the van, my brother slept in the tent. I slept on a full sized with a sleeping mat and a sleeping bag. Had plenty of room for gear and clothes (we were salmon fishing on the White).

Did all of our cooking under the awning. Everything worked out great! The only immediate change I would make is to make sure that the van is level next time. I had a heck of a time trying to sit up on the cot from a laying down position!
grond
Years of Membership: grond has been a member for 3 full yearsgrond has been a member for 3 full yearsgrond has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 33
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD 120K

Postby MrBob » December 19th 2013, 7:21pm

Mr. Buddy propane heater
I've been traveling in my van for the last three months. I use this heater almost every day. It was on sale at Cabellas for about 75 bucks and I think it's on sale again.
I don't run it all night; usually just when I'm reading before sleep and in the morning before I climb out of my sleeping bag. On the lowest setting, I can feel the temp in the van rising after just a few minutes, even in 20 degree F. weather.
It uses Coleman propane canisters that I buy at Wally World - two for less than 7 bucks. An adapter is available so the heater could be fed from a larger tank.
It has a low oxygen sensor that will shut the unit off if it senses low level. This has proven to be a PITA at higher elevations as it gets false readings and won't run for more than a few minutes unless a window is open a fair bit. At lower elevations, no issues.
The heat is conveyed via infra red so it should be aimed at objects, like me, which will absorb the heat.
Overall, I'm satisfied. The unit provides enough heat and tucks under my cot when not in use. The company makes a few other heaters, too. I'm sure there are more sophisticated RV heaters around but this one is affordable and could also be used to heat your tent or ice fishing house.
Attachments
MH9B.jpg
MH9B.jpg (21.5 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
MrBob

Postby 97cargocrawler » December 19th 2013, 8:35pm

^^^I just got the Mr. Heater Big Buddy that puts out 18,000 BTU's! I had a hard time finding a smaller one that they would actually ship to CA. Glad to hear you like yours. How about the fan..needing battery power or DC plug...any issues there? My heater is pretty big but I figure if I ever use my four man rooftop tent with the annex and van doors open I will need the extra heat. The heater is still fairly lightweight despite the size.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): CC, CARGO, CRAWLER, ASSHOLE
Year: 1997

Postby grond » December 20th 2013, 4:35am

Buddy Heaters are fantastic! I have 3 of them...one for the deer blind, one for the ice shanty and an extra just in case. I used it when I went camping (see above post) and it made it unbearably hot in the van in about 15 minutes...on low! I decided on that trip to figure out a way to have a pair of windows open and not get eaten alive by bugs...and be able to run a fan.

I found a few 12V fans that will work and that plug into a cigarette outlet.

I think my next camping trip I'll put another tarp paralell to the van and over the existing awning to expand the area to use outside the van.
grond
Years of Membership: grond has been a member for 3 full yearsgrond has been a member for 3 full yearsgrond has been a member for 3 full years

Postby arlon » December 20th 2013, 6:01am

I have an 04 AWD that is my mobile "bed and breakfast". I have a Casita travel trailer that we use when the wife goes but when it's just me on a photo junket, the van is what I take. I took a very simple approach and built a storage box the height of he rear seat and just use that with a memory foam pad for the bed part. Breakfast comes from the small kitchen area built in behind the seat. I'm thinking about redoing the whole thing and make it more camper and less people hauler. I didn't want to ruin the people hauling ability but it seems I never use that ability so I'm not going to worry about that anymore. This is how it is now but it will probably change soon.

arlon
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: arlon has been a member for 3 full yearsarlon has been a member for 3 full yearsarlon has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD G80 3.73 lift

Postby grond » December 20th 2013, 2:06pm

97cargocrawler wrote:^^^I just got the Mr. Heater Big Buddy that puts out 18,000 BTU's! I had a hard time finding a smaller one that they would actually ship to CA. Glad to hear you like yours. How about the fan..needing battery power or DC plug...any issues there? My heater is pretty big but I figure if I ever use my four man rooftop tent with the annex and van doors open I will need the extra heat. The heater is still fairly lightweight despite the size.

One thing to watch out for is that heater chews through the little green propane tanks like crazy. While on a camping trip, with it set on low (granted it was inside a tent), my brother would have to get up in the middle of the night to change out the tank. I would reccomend getting the adapter and hose and hooking it up to a 20 lb tank.

It's not like you don't have room for the tank... :lol:
grond

Postby grond » December 20th 2013, 3:00pm

Harleybowtie wrote:Thanks ! I've been doing an expansion of sorts. I have a cap tent left over from my full sized pickup. It's in great shape so I thought I'd put it to use on the Astro.
So I got one of those receiver hitch cargo haulers and made a plywood box that's just deep enough to
clear the doors. It can be filled with coolers, chairs, whatever will fit without blocking the license plate.

001.jpg

When setting up camp, you empty the box and turn it over. This effectually raises the height by 1.5" . A piece of plywood gets laid on top to make the floor.
002.jpg

A 2X2 with a 1/3rd section of PVC pipe provides the top support.
003.jpg

The Cap-Tent then gets put on over the doors and held in place with built in bungee cords.
004.jpg

The tent has a zippered opening for entry & egress. Screened side opening and front door windows keep the critters out.
005.jpg

006.jpg

The floor is carpeted and folds in half via a piano hinge.
007.jpg

008.jpg

Flaps close up the tent for cooler temps.
009.jpg

010.jpg

Very nice!! I have a ton of questions about this tent...

Any gaps around the bottom that would let skeeters and such in?

What size is the tent? From the manufacturs website, there are 3 different sizes.

Do you have any closer pictures of the roof support?

PM me if you get a chance!
grond

Postby MrBob » December 20th 2013, 5:29pm

97cargocrawler wrote:^^^I just got the Mr. Heater Big Buddy that puts out 18,000 BTU's! I had a hard time finding a smaller one that they would actually ship to CA. Glad to hear you like yours. How about the fan..needing battery power or DC plug...any issues there? My heater is pretty big but I figure if I ever use my four man rooftop tent with the annex and van doors open I will need the extra heat. The heater is still fairly lightweight despite the size.

No fan on the small unit.
MrBob

Postby Harleybowtie » December 20th 2013, 8:34pm

There's a bungee sewn into the bottom edge of the tent that snugs it up under the platform. There is a couple small openings at the bottom, under the door hinges but a well placed towel or stuff sack can plug 'em pretty easily.
The 'roof support' is just a 2X2, cut to size of the open doors, blocked in the center and a length of the ripped down PVC pipe screwed into the block.
This leaves the ends flexible. The PVC overlaps the corner of the doors to keep the nylon tent from tearing. Some folded up rags can be added to soften the
area.
Harleybowtie
Years of Membership: Harleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 15
Year: 2000

Postby Tegnus [OP] » December 27th 2013, 9:25am

Anybody have tried Camco Olympian Wave heaters?

Also where would you keep propane tank - inside/outside?
2004 Astro AWD (Astrid), 3" Lift, BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT225/75R16, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler, ARB Awning 2500 (ARB4401A)

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram | Check out the build of our 2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"
Original Poster [OP]
Tegnus
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Tegnus has been a member for 3 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 3 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 37
Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Silverhawk » March 18th 2014, 11:54pm

16098 I haven't had a chance to build it yet for this van but I had built this for one of my former full sized vans. Pretty simple! 2 sheets of plywood, 6 2x2s, and the nylon screening. A tarp attaches to the roof rack and the corners of the top sheet of plywood. It slides out and is supported by an adjustable extendable load carrier that slides into the hitch.
Silverhawk
Years of Membership: Silverhawk has been a member for 3 full yearsSilverhawk has been a member for 3 full yearsSilverhawk has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 25

PreviousNext