Camperized Astro/Safari - Share your pictures

Re: Camperized Astro/Safari - Share your pictures

Postby Allmntrider » May 13th 2014, 4:17am

I own a ARB 2500 touring it's a way better awning then the fiama I had on my syncro. Well worth cash.
Allmntrider
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Allmntrider has been a member for 3 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 3 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA): Explorer
Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Lifted awd 3.73 g80

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 87 Astro Cluster Swap
    by shinguki » January 3rd 2017, 6:41am in Interior
    3 Replies
    Last post by shinguki View the latest post
    January 3rd 2017, 10:29pm
  • How to remove seatbelts from 98 Astro?
    by Astrodawn » February 28th 2017, 5:06pm in Interior
    23 Replies
    Last post by Wimpazz View the latest post
    March 4th 2017, 2:33am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 23rd 2017, 1:06pm

Postby nigelorion » May 18th 2014, 9:41pm

sleeping mode

chillin mode

check out the build thread so far!

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=54266
nigelorion
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: nigelorion has been a member for 2 full yearsnigelorion has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 5
Extra Info: AWD G80 3.73

Postby AstroWill » May 19th 2014, 2:00am

nigelorion wrote:Image

I like your hammock hookup, best sleeping I ever do is in my hammock, how do you have the front hooked up?
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 63
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby nigelorion » May 19th 2014, 3:18am

Check out my build thread. More detailed pics in there. If you pull off the trim next to the visor there is a perfect little spot on the frame for an s hook. This is a great setup for me since I can utilize all the space a bed would take up!
nigelorion
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: nigelorion has been a member for 2 full yearsnigelorion has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 5
Extra Info: AWD G80 3.73

Postby Tegnus [OP] » May 20th 2014, 5:46pm

@nigelorion cool use of the van and space :)
2004 Astro AWD (Astrid), 3" Lift, BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT225/75R16, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler, ARB Awning 2500 (ARB4401A)

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram | Check out the build of our 2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"
Original Poster [OP]
Tegnus
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Tegnus has been a member for 4 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 4 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 4 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 37
Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby SilverBullet1997 » June 11th 2014, 7:06pm

Came across this website today:

Thought I would share it, very nice functional build for Astros.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/converting-astro-mini-van/
R.I.P 1997 Astro AWD SilverBullet 4-9-1997 to 2-17-2015 - Cause of death: Rear-ended
1999 Astro AWD SilverBullet II 1-4-1999 - Present

http://youtu.be/D1zn5ppLI6g & http://youtu.be/KkFaZXo2KL4 <- My First Van Offroading @ Tahuya
SilverBullet1997
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: SilverBullet1997 has been a member for 4 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 4 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 4 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Silver or Bullet or SB
Extra Info: 7in Lift AWD Z71

Postby oman » June 11th 2014, 11:10pm

I've seen at least a couple of the people on that forum over here, or vice-versa. Some way cool builds, even if they aren't Astros.
oman
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: oman has been a member for 4 full yearsoman has been a member for 4 full yearsoman has been a member for 4 full yearsoman has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 29

Postby MrBob » June 13th 2014, 5:55pm

Curtains: to cover the rear windows I used Walmart sun shades, cut to fit and held in place with double-faced tape. For the back and side windows I use Walmart bath towels with Velcro sewed onto the corners and a mating piece of Velcro stuck onto the trim around the windows. They can be hung in less than a minute. For the driver and passenger windows I use more sunshade cut to fit the windows. To install, I lower the windows an inch or so, push the sunshade into the upper slot for the window glass, and hit the button to raise the window. To cover the windshield I use a sunshade installed upside down with a slot cut for the rear view mirror. The visors hold the shade in place.
The whole deal sets up in about a minute and provides a high degree of privacy. I probably spent 20.00 on materials.
MrBob
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MrBob has been a member for 3 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 3 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Mr. Bob
Year: 2002
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

Postby Tegnus [OP] » June 13th 2014, 10:26pm

MrBob wrote:Curtains: to cover the rear windows I used Walmart sun shades, cut to fit and held in place with double-faced tape. For the back and side windows I use Walmart bath towels with Velcro sewed onto the corners and a mating piece of Velcro stuck onto the trim around the windows. They can be hung in less than a minute. For the driver and passenger windows I use more sunshade cut to fit the windows. To install, I lower the windows an inch or so, push the sunshade into the upper slot for the window glass, and hit the button to raise the window. To cover the windshield I use a sunshade installed upside down with a slot cut for the rear view mirror. The visors hold the shade in place.
The whole deal sets up in about a minute and provides a high degree of privacy. I probably spent 20.00 on materials.

How long did you have had curtains attached with velcro, just wondering how good it holds on to the surfaces in the summer and heat... :ty:
2004 Astro AWD (Astrid), 3" Lift, BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT225/75R16, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler, ARB Awning 2500 (ARB4401A)

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram | Check out the build of our 2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"
Original Poster [OP]
Tegnus
Years of Membership: Tegnus has been a member for 4 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 4 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 4 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 37

Postby MrBob » June 14th 2014, 1:40am

Tegnus wrote:
MrBob wrote:Curtains: to cover the rear windows I used Walmart sun shades, cut to fit and held in place with double-faced tape. For the back and side windows I use Walmart bath towels with Velcro sewed onto the corners and a mating piece of Velcro stuck onto the trim around the windows. They can be hung in less than a minute. For the driver and passenger windows I use more sunshade cut to fit the windows. To install, I lower the windows an inch or so, push the sunshade into the upper slot for the window glass, and hit the button to raise the window. To cover the windshield I use a sunshade installed upside down with a slot cut for the rear view mirror. The visors hold the shade in place.

How long did you have had curtains attached with velcro, just wondering how good it holds on to the surfaces in the summer and heat... :ty:

Since last September, and they've been used almost every day since then in temps that ranged from 15 degrees F. in Colorado to 98 degrees F. in Florida. I had to add more adhesive to some of the velcro tabs mounted on the interior window trim during the coldest weather.
I'll probably post photos when I build a platform for Burning Man soon.
MrBob
Years of Membership: MrBob has been a member for 3 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 3 full yearsMrBob has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Wiley » July 18th 2014, 12:27am

Tegnus wrote:How long did you have had curtains attached with velcro, just wondering how good it holds on to the surfaces in the summer and heat... :ty:

I spent 2 years driving my van around Mexico, Central Am, and parts of Colombia. My Velcro was constantly coming off, with glue streaking down the sides of my windows. I finally ordered some heavy duty high temp velcro online similar to whats on an easy pass, and have not had a problem since, that stuff is probably permanent, I am not sure it will come off if I wanted!

I used normal velcro on my reflectix panels, and the super strong portion on the glass windows, that way it is still easy to separate the two pieces without ripping the reflectix.

If anyone is interested I can probably dig up the part number, keep in mind it wasn't necessarily cheap, but it solved the annoying problems I was having.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 3 full yearsWiley has been a member for 3 full yearsWiley has been a member for 3 full years
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby Harleybowtie » July 19th 2014, 2:33am

Van Wauseon 1.jpg

Van Wauseon 2.jpg
Harleybowtie
Years of Membership: Harleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full yearsHarleybowtie has been a member for 3 full years
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby MrBob » July 19th 2014, 3:15pm

There's been talk of treating windows for privacy and this is the setup I've used for about 6 months. It gets used every day. The sunscreens are Walmart cheapo deluxe. The two rear windows also have panels of the stuff mounted on double-sided tape that remains in place.
IMG_3378.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

IMG_3377.JPG

Set up is pretty simple, the way I like it. The windshield piece fits better upside down so I made a notch in the screen to fit around the mirror stalk. The sun visors hold it in place. To install the side panels I lower the window a few inches and fit the panel into the groove for the window glass and then raise the window. It clamps the panel in place. One full-sized windshield screen should provide enough material for both front windows. Total cost for all panels was about 20 bucks.
MrBob

Postby Wiley » October 2nd 2014, 3:11pm

Wiley wrote:
Tegnus wrote:How long did you have had curtains attached with velcro, just wondering how good it holds on to the surfaces in the summer and heat... :ty:

I spent 2 years driving my van around Mexico, Central Am, and parts of Colombia. My Velcro was constantly coming off, with glue streaking down the sides of my windows. I finally ordered some heavy duty high temp velcro online similar to whats on an easy pass, and have not had a problem since, that stuff is probably permanent, I am not sure it will come off if I wanted!

I used normal velcro on my reflectix panels, and the super strong portion on the glass windows, that way it is still easy to separate the two pieces without ripping the reflectix.

If anyone is interested I can probably dig up the part number, keep in mind it wasn't necessarily cheap, but it solved the annoying problems I was having.

Here is that Velcro part number just in case...again only use it on the glass itself, use normal velcro on the reflectix otherwise you probably wont get it apart as I suspect the reflectix would rip, the velcro is like the stuff used on Easypasses.

3M Dual Lock SJ3550
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 3 full yearsWiley has been a member for 3 full yearsWiley has been a member for 3 full years
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby SAFSTRO69 » December 2nd 2014, 2:04am

Hi I got started on my camper build and thought I would share where I got to already. I started with the bed/table. This is my own design basically culled from a lot of other ideas out there. I haven't finished it all the way, so I hope that it works out. So first of all I set up my parameters. I needed to keep one bench seat in place for transporting pets (they like to see out the window) and kids (ditto) with functioning seat belts. I looked at building a rock 'n' roll bed and taking out all the benches but decided I wouldn't be happy with the level of safety provided, so decided to stick with keeping one of the bench seats. Parameter #2 I wanted an open living area when the bed was stowed away. This would be good for wet weather and times when you just want to hang out in the van and play cards or whatever. I like the set up of the VW weekender vans with the rear facing seats and the pop up table. So I decided on removing the front bench seat to leave that area free. Then I decided to fold the middle bench seat down to create the middle of the bed, and extend it towards the front of the van with a plywood section resting on the headrests of the bench seat. Parameter #3 I wanted a table. I saw someone else did this idea of resting the bed section on the headrests and then folding it back behind the rear seat, but I also had the idea of making that section easily removable so it could be converted into a table. The rear section of the bed will be the top of the kitchen box that I'm going to construct for the area behind the rear seat. Haven't done that yet. Hope my limited woodworking skills are up to it. We shall see. So here is the bed extension towards the front:
WP_20141129_011.jpg

And a close up view with bored canine:
WP_20141129_009.jpg

As you can see I used the seat belts from the middle row seats to attach to the bed extension. I had thought that I would have to also attach somehow to the headrests but it seems that the belts keep the extension pressed against the back of the rear seat in some kind of cantilever fashion and it is not necessary :obscene-drinkingcheers: I secured the belts with c-clamps for now. But hope to find a more permanent solution, probably seatbelt locking clips. Now, I wouldn't jump around on this extension but I think it will support feet or heads just fine with the main weight of the sleeper being borne by the folded seat section. I reinforced the board (3/4") in a couple spots. The seat belt clips are secured on the underside by carabiner clips.
Once the carabiner clips are removed you can remove the bed extension and attach it to the side of the van with velcro to make the table like this:
WP_20141129_004.jpg

The legs are 3/4" pvc plumbing pipe attached with a male threaded adapter that I screwed into holes drilled out of the table top. This was a purely serendipitous solution that happened as I was trying out another idea but I think it works pretty well. I put rubber table leg caps onto the ends of the pipe and fitted them down into the seat fixtures for the front bench. Again, serendipitous solution. I used a couple of 3M extreme velcro strips to attach to the van side. Which is good because it holds in place but does not grab too hard and come off when you are detaching the table. I plan on painting the pvc pipe a dark color with Krylon Fusion to make it look a bit nicer, and either varnishing or painting the table top/bed extension. So the plan is to slide the table top down behind the rear bench when on the road, in front of the kitchen box. I foresee a few issues with this but hopefully nothing that I can't work around. And that's all for now folks, will post more when I get working on the kitchen box and foam mattress sections.
Birdo
SAFSTRO69
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: SAFSTRO69 has been a member for 2 full yearsSAFSTRO69 has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): birdo
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby markmitch » December 2nd 2014, 4:07pm

pretty cool ideas so far keep them coming
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 436
Alias (AKA): Astro gearhead
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby WoodButcher » December 3rd 2014, 4:18am

Looks pretty slick birdo, is that long enough for you to lay out?
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby SAFSTRO69 » December 16th 2014, 3:27am

Yup, at 5'7" no problems at all. Measures just under 6' end to end.
Birdo
SAFSTRO69
Years of Membership: SAFSTRO69 has been a member for 2 full yearsSAFSTRO69 has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): birdo
Year: 2003

Postby JeremyMist » December 31st 2014, 6:18pm

I installed this 77 west pop top on my 04 AWD. I'm now in the process of thinking about a rock n roll bed for the bottom. Anyone have any plans?
Attachments
10428561_10152916069805489_3489646131054294478_n.jpg
JeremyMist
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: JeremyMist has been a member for 2 full yearsJeremyMist has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): Jeremy
Extra Info: AWD Westy Pop top

Postby BusDriverStu » January 1st 2015, 3:53am

i have plans to do so also... just no blueprints or anything of that sort yet.
BusDriverStu
Years of Membership: BusDriverStu has been a member for 2 full yearsBusDriverStu has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 18

PreviousNext