Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Power window regulator.

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RECox286 
#1 ·
The arms that raise and lower the power window pretzeled themselves. This happened once before and I was able to make a roadside repair but they're too bent now and the regulator needs to be replaced.
I have a feeling that the ones I'd find at the junk yard wouldn't be much better than what I have now because this problem seems to stem from a design flaw. Has anyone bought the mechanism from the dealer or an aftermarket supplier?
It looks to me that the window motor has already been replaced.
For now, I've removed the mechanism and duct taped the window closed.

Edit: I see a number of the regulators on eBay for around 50.00.

#2 ·
Your best bet, and not being sarcastic, is going to be your local, or not so local,

wrecking (JY) yard. I would have a battery pack with me to test the motor, to

be sure the window does what it is advertised to do, before removing the door

trim panel. You may want to check the fore and aft window guide tracks on your

truck, to insure they are still connected to the door frame (at the bottom) b/c they

do have the tendancy to separate from the door, as they are held in place by one

nut in the front, and spot welded in the rear. The spot weld is usually the one that

lets go, and sounds like a baby rattle when you close the door with some gusto.

In fact I would give your existing door hardware a good hard look to see if every

thing looks as it did from the factory. I haven't had any problems like you describe

with the scissors (regulator arms) and it may stem from some other parent problem.

Good hunting

Uncle Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.