Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Between the front seat consol DIY ?

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  KeystoneKid 
#1 ·
I wonder if anyone has ether bought or made/DIY their own center consol between the seats I was just wondering if someone may have found a totbox at a store that may have fit well their or if you went ahead and made your own of some thin plywould or if you just paid for one at canadian tire or walmart....

I would like to have one as I want it to put in my CB radio so that its out of sight and other odds and ends...

#2 ·
I made one (I'll get a pic tomorrow). Like you said, thin plywood that was getting thrown away at work. I cut two cupholders in it, put a hindged lid. I never painted it, just covered it (my kids actually did) in different stickers. Its not the prettiest thing but I use the heck out of it. Like I said, I'll snap a pic in the morning.

#3 ·

I posted this on another thread yesterday, lol.
Someone asking about cupholders. In both my vans I have built a console of sorts.
My '93 is just a small box sitting on the floor and matching boxes under the seats. I used a cupholder from autozone screwed to a block that sits in the top.
My '97 is for work, the glove box has been tossed. I have 2 boxes there, just behind the doghouse is an amp / speakerbox that my briefcase sits on, behind that is a catch all with cupholders that has a 4" deep tray on top, lift that off and I have a storage box below 8" or so deep and as long as the seats.

Whatever you do be certain it comes out quick and easy, if you have electrical be sure to use plugs, if you want it bolted down use thumbscrews or some such. Getting into the doghouse is a PITA so don't make it worse for yourself.

#5 ·
I used the grey and black Wal Martian special. Just did some mods to it and Dyed it all black to match my interior. One I got its style matches the Gen 1 interior perfectly. Looks factory now. Coffee cup holder and garbage bin essentially. Hated that bag hanging on the seat.

#6 ·
Yes I installed the navigator one. I would honestly just measure and go hit the junk yard and pull something that fits. The navigator one has been perfect and does look factory. But they aren't cheap, the older navigator ones would work equally as well. Just really depends how much you want to spend, and what you want it to look like.

#12 ·
This is what is in my '89 currently. Built from 3/4" ply. It houses my amp and CD changer and has cupholders on top. It came already installed in the van, along with the circa 1999 stereo system. I plan on carpeting the whole floor, when I do I'll probably wrap the sides and front of the console and make a door to cover the back. I also plan on installing my Cobra CB radio on the front, as well as switches for auxiliary interior/exterior lighting. The wood on top has a decent grain to it, so I'll probably just stain and seal it and maybe put some kind of non-slip rubber mat on the large flat portion.
safari06.jpg

safari03.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.