Gen1 Rear Exhaust Hanger Isolator rubber thing

Gen1 Rear Exhaust Hanger Isolator rubber thing

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 15th 2016, 11:58pm

I was wondering, what is the part that everyone is using to replace the rear exhaust hanger isolator. The one listed at autozone/oreilly/etc is too large to fit the bracket. GM used to sell it as a complete bracket, but it is now discontinued. I just need rubber part of it.
Walker 35462 didn't fit but it sure looks the part.

Here is the bracket that it is supposed to go into.
gen1_rear_exhaust_hanger.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 47
Alias (AKA): Will, Devil's Advocate
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Gen1 Rear Exhaust Hanger Isolator rubber thing

Postby sixsix » November 16th 2016, 1:43am

You mean this one?

Thankfully the spare is out and it was easy to get decent shot.
Seems this is totally different than yours. Ours is a 92' and I am presuming it is still stock.

Maybe scour a Junk Yard Model.

Mike
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

There are 3 types of people in this world - First, the type that can count
and Second, the type that can't.

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 2 full yearssixsix has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 16th 2016, 3:41am

Same location, different bracket and I have a flat bar that goes through it from the tailpipe, kind of like the middle one forward of the muffler(unless they changed that one as well).

Looking at the application guide, they did change it in 92. Thanks for showing me an alternative, I know that style rubber isolator is easily available everywhere so it is probably worth changing at some point in time as both of my Tigers are missing the rubber that goes inside that bracket and are rigged, it works, but I would like to get something proper in there.
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full years

Postby WoodButcher » November 16th 2016, 3:48am

My '93 uses the same thing Mike pictured. The one you see in back and another for the center section, similar on my '97.
If you have a scroll saw you could make one from a spring rubber. The H shaped things that you can put in coil springs for lift.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby markmitch » November 16th 2016, 3:58am

I probably have the whole bracket with the rubber part I will look through my junk boxes tomorrow and see if I do and its good you can have it just pay shipping, I have a custom exhaust system going on with headers so I most likely will not use it. My van is an 89.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 422
Alias (AKA): Mitch
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 16th 2016, 4:40am

Yep, that is what I'm going to do, switch it over to the newer style. Thanks guys!

markmitch wrote:I probably have the whole bracket with the rubber part I will look through my junk boxes tomorrow and see if I do and its good you can have it just pay shipping, I have a custom exhaust system going on with headers so I most likely will not use it. My van is an 89.

I appreciate the offer, but don't worry about looking for it. I want some new ones on there, I don't reuse rubbers.
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby markmitch » November 16th 2016, 5:17am

good call thats nasty
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 422
Alias (AKA): Mitch
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby WoodButcher » November 16th 2016, 1:10pm

EEWWWW!
I once knew a girl who could, well,
let's just say she was talented...

The new style is easy to fab the metal bits. You can make nice custom hangers with 1/2" round stock, torch and a BFH.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 17th 2016, 5:38am

WoodButcher wrote:The new style is easy to fab the metal bits. You can make nice custom hangers with 1/2" round stock, torch and a BFH.

Thanks WB, that is what I'm going to do.
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby WoodButcher » November 17th 2016, 1:30pm

If you have a blue wrench it's quick and easy, mapp gas will get you there but it takes a while.

I used heat to make bends and flatten the end for drilling holes to mount on the truck. Be sure to flatten them to at least twice the diameter of the bolt, the hole is the weak point. If it is thinner you remove less material when drilling so it is stronger. I hade them w/ a little hook 15 degrees or so to hold the isolator but you could also weld a snot on there and smooth the bump so it won't cut the rubber.

Lots of ways to do it, lets see some art deco-de-lumpy! :clap:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 8th 2017, 5:37am

AstroWill wrote:Thanks for showing me an alternative, I know that style rubber isolator is easily available everywhere so it is probably worth changing at some point in time as both of my Tigers are missing the rubber that goes inside that bracket and are rigged, it works, but I would like to get something proper in there.

Let me update that to all three Tigers have that piece missing. I'm wondering if some polyurethane would work for a replacement. Time to take a trip to HD.
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 13th 2017, 11:12pm

AstroWill wrote:
AstroWill wrote:Thanks for showing me an alternative, I know that style rubber isolator is easily available everywhere so it is probably worth changing at some point in time as both of my Tigers are missing the rubber that goes inside that bracket and are rigged, it works, but I would like to get something proper in there.

Let me update that to all three Tigers have that piece missing. I'm wondering if some polyurethane would work for a replacement. Time to take a trip to HD.

The jackasses welded one of them on when they did the bumper extension. So time for a different solution...
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement