Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

time for a new exhaust

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jrsride2002 
#1 ·
my 90 astro with z motor needs a new exhaust, looking for something quiet, what has everyone else used? and need a new catalytic converter, factory? or AM?

#2 ·
I'm about due for a muffler on the 97, haven't looked into it yet. Most the muffler talk around here is trying to find something that sounds good, not much said about stock/quiet. I did do my CAT a few years back and went with a Magnaflow for about $100, the direct fit's (pipes included) I think are about $250-$280

#3 ·
I went with Walker QuietFlow on the Bravada and the PO opted for the same on the Safari, my Astro is still stock.

I've been in vans and cars with Magnaflow and the like and I really don't like the drone inside...

#4 ·
For quiet choose Large capacity mufflers ,, even High Performance cars from factory use Large capacity mufflers , they flow very well and are quiet ,, take a look at the factory Gen2 muffler ,, it rather big ,,, you'll find a wide range of choices of AM choices

#5 ·
For ease of installation, and much less tearing of hair out while doing the install, I find that Walker is a darn good choice.

I usually go for the more expensive muffler too. Of course, I haven't tried any other brands recently. Why fool with sucess ?

Uncle Bob

#6 ·
Hey Kenk,

I just replaced my muffler only, so i cant talk about a new cat.... I dont even need one because i am exempt from smog :twisted:

I also wanted a stock replacement, took it to my trusted mechanic/welder dude, and he ordered it for me. Told him i wanted a stock replacement, didnt care about cost so long as it was quite as it has been. Well he found a stock one for like $300 and found another for $160... So I went with the $160. Its a IMCO exhaust part number OR1227. I freakin love it. It is smaller and there for is a little louder on start up, or low rpm when driving, but when at speed you dont hear it. Kind cool when i go warm up the van in the morning and drive with the stock quietness for the longer journeys i take.
Its not to loud to be annoying to you or neighbors(I think) while warming up the motor. If I had to guess on quietness, on a scale of 1-10 stock being a 9, this would be a 6 or 7(of course on low rpm). Just my experience and opinion.

If you want I could make a cheesy video of the exhaust... T dont have a real video camera, but I have a GoPro that could do the job.

Hope what ever you choose turns out great,
~Junior

EDIT: Just realized you have a Z motor and i have a W, our mufflers might not line up right... But still, best of luck dude!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.