Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

CAT Question

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  toddb 
#1 ·
I was rummaging through the old forum just now and found a post on how to cut out and install the CAT in a 97 Safari. But right when its finally was going to tell me what I really wanted to know about connecting to the Y pipe on the manifold side of the CAT, the Post abruptly ended. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on attatching the CAT to the Y pipe, as on the old board it states there were problems with the pipe not being circular. The original post on the old board is located here:

cgi/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=17771

#2 ·
Hi fungus2k

I"m going to be doing mine in the next week or two, but in the meantime and what I would do personally is to take measurements to make sure everything is going to match up "before" even attempting this replacement. I think that's where Mel might of gotten a bit off course is not eying things up first before cutting when he did his. I can't see a problem if you only cut what you need to cut (at the Cat). Hope this helps and I'm sure others will chime in if they can.:)

#6 ·
I've been told I would get better performance and gas milage if iI removed the cat and replaced it with a pipe. After researching the topic it looks like it will be so slieght that it won't be worth the $40 to get it done. What are you thoughts and experiences?

#7 ·
If you CAT has a lot of miles on it and is restrictive at all it might help, but it will also make your exhaust smell stronger. You will probably get a little better seat of the pants difference in acceleration too. :layrubber:

#10 ·
is it illegal in places that don't have emission testing? I know in Indiana there are only two or three counties who test emissions. If I don't have to go get checked who's going to know I don't have a Cat besides my conscience? And that guy is kinda quiet, he's a pushover.

#11 ·
^Same here. We have no testing or visual inspection in my county. Basically if you do it yourself no one will know. Most shops won't touch it though.

#16 ·
actually i got the cat replaced and had a local shop install it for 50 bucks to weld it in, so i figured it was well worth the price to install it professionally. and now i get much better gas mileage. as for government regs, up here in ontario we have to go for a e test every 2 years for the first 20 years of the vehicles life and its a real test which runs highway milage on a dyno, and tests at your tailpipe, if you fail, and spend up to 500 bucks to try and fix it you will get a conditional pass, even if it still fails the test, it kinda sucks, i got suckered into spending a bunch of money on 02 sensors at a big box shop up here, you cant even go under the table with it anymore like you used to.

#17 ·
Thats interesting that they let it go after you try to get it to pass - I think that is fair. I live in Kelowna BC, and we don't have to be inspected. i know the muffler shops here don't care and frankly, neither do I. Van runs fine and was wondering if it would be worth it. have had some response to the Q but most were at the legal side of things. still not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.