No cat clogged muffler?

No cat clogged muffler?

Postby kocka80 [OP] » June 29th 2010, 10:01pm

ok so about a month and a half ago my van started to drive like crap. fund out that the cat converter clogged up. so got the saw and cut it out , there was two of these things under there . one of the did look like a big apple ,I cut that one out and since the pipe was cut I was able to separate the rest of the piping . then I got a piece of steel rod and cleaned out the cat converter . Up until yesterday my van was driving like a dream .then it started again ,driving like crap even the engine stalls when driving and comes back alive .AND THEN like an explosion out of the back of the van sceared the crap out of me ,but after that the van drives again just fine .happend today as well . is my muffler clogged up as well? only does it on highway though. I have no intensions to put the cat converter back on so what do I do?? :confused:
thank in advace
kocka80
Original Poster [OP]
kocka80
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: kocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 6
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: No cat clogged muffler?

Postby LEVE » June 29th 2010, 10:47pm

The first item you talked about was a resonator. You say you cleaned out the Converter? Ok, you took a rod and busted up the insides. What did you do with all that loose material? It could have easily moved into the muffler and cause an excessive backpressure, stalling the engine. Once the debris were blown clear... flow was restored and the engine can breathe again, restoring functionally. It's likely going to happen again once the muffler plugs up again.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby timelessbeing » June 29th 2010, 11:09pm

I think you need to ask yourself why the cat was plugged. Are you running a rich mixture? If so, the explosion might have been fuel in your exhaust. It can also happen if a cylinder isn't firing properly. This happened to my bro and there was literally gas dripping from the tailpipe.
timelessbeing
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: timelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Extra Info: Lifted AWD 4.3

Postby kocka80 [OP] » June 29th 2010, 11:11pm

when I cut the resonator out I have noticed that I could separate the cat from the rest of the exaust. there is a big triangle thing with three bolt on just in front of the muffler itself .so i was able to remove the cat completly and clean it out ,but it is possible that some debry went in to the mufffler prior my cutting there were big chunks falling out by them self. is there any way to clean out the muffler and I mean clean like hose it out or something?
kocka80
Original Poster [OP]
kocka80
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: kocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full yearskocka80 has been a member for 6 full years

Postby kocka80 [OP] » June 29th 2010, 11:17pm

timelessbeing wrote:I think you need to ask yourself why the cat was plugged. Are you running a rich mixture? If so, the explosion might have been fuel in your exhaust. It can also happen if a cylinder isn't firing properly. This happened to my bro and there was literally gas dripping from the tailpipe.

the cat was clogged becouse it was the original at least it did look original since 2002 .would my gas milege change if I have a rich mixture ? the van runs 350 miles with a full thank and 325 if i use the A/C all the time. these numbers hardly ever change . I keep track of it all the time .I dont have any fuel dripping from the tail pipe nor it smell like unburnt fuel
kocka80
Original Poster [OP]
kocka80
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » June 29th 2010, 11:23pm

A 2002 cat wouldn't be clogged just because it's original. The original cat on my '93 Bravada is only clogged because my FPR leaked into the intake and down into the engine - otherwise, it'd be fine.

Cats never die; they are killed.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby timelessbeing » June 30th 2010, 12:14am

My 2000 still has the original cat. 350 is a bit low, and yes of course air/fuel mixture affects fuel economy.

Anyways, since you've already gutted the cat, you might as well take off the muffler and see how it runs. Oh and don't do it at night when your neighbours are sleeping.
timelessbeing
Years of Membership: timelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 6 full years

Postby kocka80 [OP] » June 30th 2010, 12:22am

timelessbeing wrote:My 2000 still has the original cat. 350 is a bit low, and yes of course air/fuel mixture affects fuel economy.

Anyways, since you've already gutted the cat, you might as well take off the muffler and see how it runs. Oh and don't do it at night when your neighbours are sleeping.

this is going to be hard even at daytime. my neighbours going to LOOOVE me.
is there any other muffler i could put on from a local auto store . I mean this is the biggest muffler I`ve ever seen . how would a smaller one operate?
kocka80
Original Poster [OP]
kocka80
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby timelessbeing » June 30th 2010, 1:11am

Not a big muff man? :lol:

I think a smaller one would operate louder.

Mufflers dont have any tiny openings that could clog, that I know of. I'm thinking you have engine problems.
timelessbeing

Postby rev_les » June 30th 2010, 4:42am

rolling through Boca, you probably want something close to an original, or a 3 chamber flowmaster or equivalent welded in....unless you want the Boca police up your arse all the time. ( I used to get pulled over in my 5.0 there every time I came through)
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby 979roadrunner » June 30th 2010, 5:07am

Sounds like the catalyst material was broken up, not plugged, and big peices of cat material can definately clog a muffler.
I've seen newer cars do this, but very high milage ones. Fortunately, a new muffler doesn't cost that much, if that's the problem.
On one occassion I did get away with taking the muffler off, turning the inlet side down, and banging it on the ground a few times.
You should have seen the huge chunk that came out, along with the smaller peices.
I replaced the muffler at my earliest opportunity, lest there be more crap in the system.
I'm not old, I'm vintage!
979roadrunner
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: 979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years979roadrunner has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Art, Mr Vintage
Extra Info: 4.3V6 RWD Conver

Postby kocka80 [OP] » July 1st 2010, 12:44am

I tried to take the muffler out today but without cutting its not gonna come out , at least i could not do it . I was able to look in it on the other hand with a flash light but did not see any foreign material. engine cuts off even at idle , but I can restart it immediately
kocka80
Original Poster [OP]
kocka80
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby timelessbeing » July 1st 2010, 12:50am

Does your service engine light come on?
timelessbeing

Postby kocka80 [OP] » July 1st 2010, 1:08am

yeah but the only thing it says that i have a small vacumm leak .and been like that forever
kocka80
Original Poster [OP]
kocka80
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby timelessbeing » July 1st 2010, 1:28am

Maybe the leak got bigger. That would certainly cause stalling.
timelessbeing

Postby kocka80 [OP] » July 3rd 2010, 3:23am

just an update . since this van is my daily driver I ended up taking it to a mechanic and it turns out that one of the wires that goes to the ignition coil got partially lose and causing misfiring .that is why i was able to restart all the time with no problem but as the van moving ,shaking the wire was comin lose and unlose I would say .so a replacement of that plug and $180 later it is running as it should.
kocka80
Original Poster [OP]
kocka80
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » July 3rd 2010, 3:34am

Glad you got her fixed ;)
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby kocka80 [OP] » July 3rd 2010, 3:46am

I have to admit when I could not locate this my self I was thinking to get rid of it .to hell with this shiz .But I love my astro too much :romance-heartbeating:
kocka80
Original Poster [OP]
kocka80
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby cowboydan » July 11th 2010, 2:04am

walker dynomax makes a nice factory upgrade, it higher flow, smaller and the noise is a bit more than stock. the stock muffler is huge.... 4.5' or longer!
i had my cat back system replaced with 3" pipe work and a dynomax for less than a stock replacement. then the fiber glass batting in my cat wore out so i had to get that done. if you go to a pro shop you can but a high flow for a $100,make sure it is obd ll compatible then got to muffler shop and pay them to put it in... alot cheaper for the astro since a new cat is like $400 for oem....then labour on top. this is all can money so prices would vary
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD