Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

newbie question about pcm tuning

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Hello there guys, lately I been reading a lot about pcm tuning and I always trying to get my van to run better, but everything that I read it's about v8's, I mean everybody talks about custom tuning on 94-95 engines or 98+ engines or swaping a 411 pcm from a 01-02 vehicle, but can't find anything or very little support for the 96-97 4.3l vortec engines like my 97 astro, it is really that hard to custom tune this pcm? can I swap a 411 pcm from a newer astro or express van like they do on v8's and how hard is to do that? Thanks in advance for any advice!

#3 ·
Well Iv been reading post from other forums like the s10's about the 411 pcm swap but I don't know how hard or different would be to do that on an astro, I also found some tuning services like pcmperfotmance that can tune my black box for about $250 but I'v heard that there's not too much that can be done with this pcm, that's why everybody upgrade to the 411 pcm, I hope there's somebody on the forum with information about this, or someone who have done that on an astro, keep looking!

#5 ·
Good point thanks, I wasn't sure about that. You know I found a very good tutorial with pics and everything on how to swap the 411 pcm from l31 engines so with that kind of help it's very easy, I wish that sombody who have done that on an astro could do the same, that would be great.

#9 ·
VCM's from 98-00 are supported by HP Tuners for the 4.3. and you can pick up VCM's for $35.00 from a local pick-a-part and custom tune. The difference is the 97 VCM has a 5th plug and these ones can't be tuned. The initial cost of HP Tuners isn't that bad when you look at the credits they come with.

#10 ·
If you can get your hands on a wiring harness and computer from a 98-00 van that's complete, you will make your like much easier! 2001 is when they started with the 0411 and that is even better, but I am not sure if the factory harness is the same. They deleted EGR at some point. I have a 97, but changed to a 98 harness after a little engine fire. I repined to a 0411 PCM when I did my V8 swap. Can be done with the V6 of course too.

Scott

#11 ·
So you have a 97 v8 with the 411 pcm, did you get the pcm and engine from the same vehicle for your swap? That's what I want to do but Im not sure if a 01 engine will work on my 97, now I know that the 411 pcm swap on 4.3 is very easy, but it would be great to do the v8 and the pcm at same time. Not an easy job!!!

#12 ·
Hey guys I'm getting ready to swap my 97 black box with the 411 pcm from a 01, does anybody know what to do with the knock sensor difference? should I use the one that I have one wire, or get a 2 wire sensor that the 01 pcm uses and how to wire it to the 97 harness, I know that many guys have done this before, If somebody could give me an idea about this will be great! thanks!

#15 ·
look at the begining of the thread! Do you see who started it? No to worry! I allready got the info that I need, the kind of sensor to use and how to rewire it to the correct pinouts! I really appreciate all your answers and if somebody needs the info I'll be glad to help! :cool:

#18 ·
Good deal, and I agree! Always better to get it down while it's fresh in your memory, 3yrs down the road when someone digs this thread from the grave it will be harder to remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.