P0101 MAF sensor range error?

Postby joshcloud9 [OP] » December 12th 2011, 12:50am

"Sensor range error"

Hi there,

I'm getting this error and per Haines I've checked it with the engine running, tapped the body and no change in engine running.

Wondering what to test next?

It's a 2005 Astro AWD and it's Emission certificate is overdue now!!!

p.s. Just found this, will check it and come back, thanks:

... mass air flow sensor spray cleaner at the auto parts store and use that, it's safe and won't risk damaging sensitive sensors. After intermittent P0101 code on medium/full acceleration and so I just removed and spray cleaned mine, let it dry out for a few hours while I did other some other maintenance ...

Check the connectors, and check the ground on the thermostat housing, relocate it to the chassis ground if you suspect it's bad. ( use appropriate sized wire)
There may be some others, but that comes to mind first.
Original Poster [OP]
joshcloud9
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: joshcloud9 has been a member for 4 full yearsjoshcloud9 has been a member for 4 full yearsjoshcloud9 has been a member for 4 full yearsjoshcloud9 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 16
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: P0101 MAF sensor range error?

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » December 12th 2011, 12:56am

Sounds like it just wore out.If it were me I would try to get a cheap J/Y one to see if it changes code.Hopefully phantom has the goods on what it should ohm at.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 4 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 4 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 4 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby joshcloud9 [OP] » December 13th 2011, 5:22pm

OK I cleaned the MAF sensor out using some CRC MAF cleaner spray.
Wow amazing difference, much smoother. Hoping this is a cure :)

I will need to run it for some miles to know that the computer has reset. I reset the CEL using a OBDII USB reader I have.

(Edited) I did take a multimeter reading across the corresponding pink and black terminals (two on right side) and got a reading of around 10 Mega ohms (cold). I also checked the black to ground resistance and it was close to zero as it should be

Anyone know if this is good/bad or other? It looks like (in Haines) that it should be high (~3500 ohms) on cold and low around a few hundred ohms for a warm reading.
Original Poster [OP]
joshcloud9
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: joshcloud9 has been a member for 4 full yearsjoshcloud9 has been a member for 4 full yearsjoshcloud9 has been a member for 4 full yearsjoshcloud9 has been a member for 4 full years

Postby paintdrying » December 13th 2011, 11:19pm

I collect map sensors. Seems people at the bone yards have a real taste for them. I just cleaned one out and put it back in-same problem, so I replaced with a different one and now I have a rocket ship.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 4 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 4 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 4 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 94
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby joshcloud9 [OP] » December 18th 2011, 12:41am

Yup that waqs all that I needed to do! This van has NEVER run right, until I sprayed the MAF sensor with this cleaner!

Amazing, I'm not normally a proponent of these quick fixes but after this it will be my first thing to look at.
The CEL light did not come of for the first 6 to 8 months of owning this van but it has never run as good as this. Which suggests that this is not picket up until it is already a seriously bad issue?
Original Poster [OP]
joshcloud9
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby redfury » December 18th 2011, 6:30am

Well, the only true way to determine if you have a good MAF is to look at the waveform it is producing, but cleaning it with MAF cleaner is certainly something that needs to be done periodically, moreso if you run an oil bath air filter like a K&N. I need to swap out my MAF to see if it's the cause of another set of codes, so I'll be taking a trip to the local JY this weekend to see if I can score one cheap. I don't know anyone with a full sized Chevy that I could "borrow" one from to verify the problem or not, and since I don't have the abilty to scope my MAF, that's the only other "cheap" option. The MAF is the gateway to proper fuel trim afterall.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby joshcloud9 [OP] » December 18th 2011, 5:41pm

redfury wrote:....The MAF is the gateway to proper fuel trim afterall.

Thanks and I am hoping that the awful fuel economy recovers. It has been at or under 10mpg in town, seriously! -This is an AWD.

On a side note: I used to get 12.x mpg from a '97 Altima (4 cylinder). This is in-town Atlanta where there can be 8 stops during a half mile journey to Publix!
Original Poster [OP]
joshcloud9
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby RECox286 » December 18th 2011, 8:12pm

MAF sensors don't play very well with dirt and especially with oil. Other than that the "wires" or sensor elements are very small, and can be destroyed easily.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]