N = 262 ci V6 4.3L 2 BBL ('85)
N = 262 ci V6 4.3L 4 BBL
W = 262 ci V6 4.3L CPI
W = 262 ci V6 4.3L MFI ('98-'05)
X = 262 ci V6 4.3L CPI
X = 262 ci V6 4.3L MFI ('98-'05)
Z = 262 ci V6 4.3L TBI

Position 9 Check digit:
This is a VIN checksum used to verify VIN legality.

Position 10 Model year:
F = 1985
G = 1986
H = 1987
J = 1988
K = 1989
L = 1990
M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997
W = 1998
X = 1999
Y = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005

Position 11 Plant:
A = Lakewood, GA
B = Lansing (Reatta), MI
B = Baltimore (Truck & Bus), MD
B = Pupyong, KOREA
C = Lansing, MI
D = Doraville, GA
E = Linden, NJ
E = Pontiac (Truck & Bus), MI
F = Fairfax II, KS
F = Flint (Truck & Bus), MI
G = Framingham, MA
H = Flint, MI
J = Janesville (Truck & Bus), WI
J = Janesville, WI
K = Leeds, MO
K = Kosai, JAPAN
L = Van Nuys ('82-'92 F-car), CA
M = Lansing, MI
N = Norwood ('82-'87 F-car), OH
R = Arlington (B-car), TX
S = St. Louis (Truck & Bus), MO
S = Ramos Arizpe, MEXICO
T = Tarrytown (Truck & Bus), NY
U = Hamtramck, MI
V = Pontiac (Truck & Bus), MI
W = Willow Run (B-car), MI
W = Iwata, JAPAN
X = Fairfax, KS
Y = Wilmington, DE
Z = Fremont, CA
Z = Spring Hill (Saturn), TN
Z = Fort Wayne (Truck & Bus), IN
0 = Pontiac (Truck & Bus), MI
1 = Wentzville, MO
1 = Oshowa 2, ONTARIO
2 = Moraine (Truck & Bus), OH
2 = Ste. Therese ('93-'96+ F-car), QUEBEC
3 = Detroit (Truck & Bus), MI
3 = Kawasaki, JAPAN
3 = St. Eustache, QUEBEC
4 = Orion, MI
4 = Scarborough, ONTARIO
5 = Bowling Green ('84-'96+ Corvette), KY
5 = London, ONTARIO
6 = Oklahoma City, OK
6 = Ingersoll, ONTARIO
7 = Lordstown, OH
7 = Lordstown (Truck & Bus), OH
7 = Fujisawa, JAPAN
8 = Shreveport (Truck & Bus), LA
9 = Detroit, MI
9 = Tillsonburg, ONTARIO
9 = Oshawa 1, ONTARIO

Position 12-17:
Production #

See less See more
#52 ·
Conversion vans were ALL cargo vans from the factory. The conversion company cut the windows the way they wanted to and configured the carpet and seats however they wanted to. Easier to start with a blank slate than to work around stock holes.

#54 ·
My position 3 number is 8, does anyone know what that means?

1 = U.S.A.
G = General Motors
8 =
D = 5,001 - 6,000/ Hydraulic
M = Van (Astro, Safari) 2WD
1 = 1/2 ton
5 = Van
Z = 262 ci V6 4.3L TBI
6 = Check digit
G = 1986
B = Lansing (Reatta), MI B = Baltimore (Truck & Bus), MD B = Pupyong, KOREA

Also, a VinAudit report (can't afford Carfax) lists the van as, "Trim Level - Sport Van". What does that mean? The only difference my van has that I know of is that it doesn't have the side rear windows. It is not a conversion van or cargo van. It has a full interior with no extra stuff.

#55 ·
Sounds like an RS - Rally Sport. No louvers at the back? Does it have a rear sway bar? Oh, and it might have a close ratio steering box.

#56 ·
At the risk of sounding stupid, what are "louvers"? Are those like curtains inside?
How do I check for a rear sway bar and close ratio steering box.
I would like to find out as much as I can about the van as I am in the process of restoring it.
The glove box says it's an Astro CL. I don't know what that means. It's possible the glove box isn't original.

#60 ·
Thank you for the VIN Decode. I saw your avitar of the little van with the wing / spoiler on it. I have been looking for a rear spoiler for my '92 CL Astro. I want one EXACTLY the same as on your avitar. I have surfed and surfed but can't find anything. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jim
El Cajon, CA

'92 Astro

#68 ·
multimoto said:
Positive P said:
VIN Position Description

Position 3 Make or division:
1 = Chevrolet
7 = GM of Canada
C = Chevy Truck
K = GMC Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV)
N = Chevy Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV)
T = GMC Truck
the third digit on mine is "D"

anyone know what that indicates?
Gmc incomplete is D. Your van was bought by the dealer that way. It is a conversion van.

It has special striping so it is considered a conversion van. All striping back then was non factory and a dealer add on. They bought them incomplete. Added striping and anything they wanted interior wise at the dealerships to spice them up for their personal sales.

Conversion vans were the hot ticket back then. Chevy dodge and furd were all doing it to. At the end they were all cookie cutter and the same. As they came off the assembly lines.

But when vans first came into popularity. Having a one of a kind van was a status symbol.

#69 ·
chevymaher said:
the third digit on mine is "D"

anyone know what that indicates?
Gmc incomplete is D. Your van was bought by the dealer that way. It is a conversion van.

It has special striping so it is considered a conversion van. All striping back then was non factory and a dealer add on. They bought them incomplete. Added striping and anything they wanted interior wise at the dealerships to spice them up for their personal sales.

Conversion vans were the hot ticket back then. Chevy dodge and furd were all doing it to. At the end they were all cookie cutter and the same. As they came off the assembly lines.

But when vans first came into popularity. Having a one of a kind van was a status symbol.[/quote]

ahh.. yeah it was bought by Explorer Conversions probably with no interior so they could 'convert' it and resale it. they were one of the first conversion companies and still around.

that explains it though. thought it might be a special order or something. thanks

#70 ·
Terrific Resource !

I've read through, looking for a Specific, and haven't (noticed) mention. How is the CARGO designation specified ? According to some websites, there were subtle differences ... even est. mpg. Because I'm NEW to these (and Vans), I have always ASSumed that a "Cargo" Van was always without rear windows.

Apparently in Astro / Safari land, it is not always the case. I am in the market for an '01-newer AWD Cargo. In scouring classified ads, I see A Lot of folks posting their vans as "Cargo" and they have full passenger windows in back. My naïveté always figured those were designated PASSENGER.

Could one of you Astro/Safari veterans help me better understand this, and perhaps provide me with an ironclad way to identify (true) Cargo versions, during my exhaustive quest to buy one ?

Thanks in advance

#71 ·
Not gonna research, but will give some info., and tell you there are links to be found on this site with a wealth of information.OK,first off, back in the day,Dealers ordered what they wanted, what they thought would sell,and customers could order a vehicle with different options.Mostly does not exist anymore.except in ordering"packages". As a general rule,"cargo" vans have no rear interior,lots of times not even welded in seat mounts.Rear side windows and rear door windows were optional,but lots of Dealers always ordered the rear door windows,for safety.As a general rule, if there are no rear seat mounts, it is a cargo van. Now,"upfitter" vans, that's a whole different story.

#72 ·
Lots of people list their vans as cargo vans when they've removed the rear seats and/or interior trim and carpet, despite them being passenger vans.

If there's a window behind the slider and two behind the driver, it's a passenger van. Some cargo vans had a window on the slider, some didn't - it was an option. Some have rear windows, most didn't - again, an option. Some had Dutch doors, but most have barn doors. No cargo van had any windows on the driver's side except for the driver's door.

#75 ·
1DogRescuer said:
How is the CARGO designation specified ? According to some websites, there were subtle differences ... even est. mpg.
Cargos do not have the seat mounts, trim, seat belt provisions in the rear, different springs, etc. Windows could be special ordered with the cargo vans so that isn't always the best tell.

#76 ·
Thank you so much for this info! I have been looking all over for an accurate list.

My position 8 (engine) is "2". Does anyone have any insight to what this indicates? I have been having trouble trying to figure out what engine is in it. When I purchased it, the guy told me he thinks it is a Kohler 4.3L V6. I have looked all over for belt routing diagrams and for my year (1987), and all I could find were serpentine belt diagrams. Also, the model year according to my VIN is 1986, though the title shows 1987.

If you're curious, the van is a 1987 Chevy Astro Aerolite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.