'95 Astro OBD? Code Reader?

'95 Astro OBD? Code Reader?

Postby Casey [OP] » March 23rd 2009, 4:53pm

Which code reader/scanner should I get for my '95 Astro? I see '96 and up, but I also see it mentioned that the OBD I scanners might work on '94s and '95s. Is there a definite answer as far as which ones work on a '95?

Just picked this van up (90k miles and on the drive home the SES light came on, but it drove fine. Today, i start driving it and five minutes into the trip, the idle drops really low and it dies at a stop light. Fired it back up but had to step on the throttle to make sure it kept running as it wants to idle very very low and almost die. I'm thinking it's EGR related, but with no scan tool, I can't be sure. :think:

I had a similar issue on my '90 Astro with the CEL and a new EGR fixed it. No experience with newer Astros, though...

I don't really want to spend $300 on a code reader/scanner, but $100 is do-able. TIA,

Casey
Original Poster [OP]
Casey
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 5 full yearsCasey has been a member for 5 full yearsCasey has been a member for 5 full yearsCasey has been a member for 5 full yearsCasey has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: '95 Astro OBD? Code Reader?

Postby Casey [OP] » March 23rd 2009, 6:35pm

Ok, I used the ground-out method on the OBD port and got a code "32" to flash via the SES light, which means a problem in the EGR circuit. Sounds like I need a new EGR valve (and gasket). :dance:
Original Poster [OP]
Casey
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 5 full yearsCasey has been a member for 5 full yearsCasey has been a member for 5 full yearsCasey has been a member for 5 full yearsCasey has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Matrixx » March 23rd 2009, 7:08pm

Their was a lot of talk about this common EGR problem in the Old Forum section. Adding a screen seemed to help prevent the EGR from getting plugged up which is the most common problem with them. It might be a worth while search to do. Just a thought.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14

Postby Casey [OP] » March 23rd 2009, 9:24pm

Thanks, I have checked out some old posts and saw the screen mentioned. I installed a new EGR valve and gasket and cleared the code, so I'll take it for a drive later and see if it idles better once it's at normal operating temperature. The SES light is off and no codes flash, so that's a good sign for now.

It still 'feels' like it's idling a bit low to me, but the van is so new to me it's hard to say for sure.

When the EGR is replaced, does the EGR vacuum solenoid reset/re-calibrate and adjust to the new EGR, provided it was the EGR that was bad? Just wondering if I should be able to notice an immediate change or if it takes a bit of driving and some miles for everything to return to normal. :?
Original Poster [OP]
Casey

Postby Matrixx » March 24th 2009, 4:46am

Hi Casey

The computer will automatically adjust yes. You should see an immediate change. Please keep us updated, thanks.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full years

Postby Casey [OP] » March 25th 2009, 3:20am

After putting on 50 miles or so today, the SES light has yet to light up, so I'm pretty confident the EGR valve was the issue.

The engine still idles a bit low, though. I'm going to have to look everythign over again to make sure a vacuum line didn't get knocked off or come lose somewhere. It feels like there's a small vacuum leak, and we all known how fun those are to track down... :lol:

I've got an exhaust rattle, too, but that's a minor issue. I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised to see a 3"(?) muffler underneath after replacing the 2.25" muffler on my '90 a few months ago.
Original Poster [OP]
Casey

Postby Matrixx » March 25th 2009, 3:58am

Hi Casey

I'm glad to see the light hasn't come back on. Idle should be around 550-600 with accessories on and in gear.

I was surprised as well to see a beast of a muffler on mine just for a V6. I think it has to do with reducing the inherent V6 Rumble/Drone sound they give off plus it increases performance a bit as well. Thanks for the update.:)
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Casey [OP] » April 4th 2009, 2:05am

Ok, I'm an idiot. The low idle problem has been solved...by making sure the rear egde of the air box lid is properly located. I didn't slip the pins into the slots at the back edge of the lid after I had it off while replacing the EGR valve. It idles perfectly again.

Changed the trans fluid and filter and replaced a leaky heater valve, too.
Original Poster [OP]
Casey