Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Does my 95 Safari have OBD I or OBD II?

13K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr_Bowtie 
#1 ·
And how can I verify this?

#4 ·
Mr_Bowtie said:
I thought '95 was considered like OBD 1.5? IDK...its such a odd ball year. :lol:
Odd ball year is right. Still, the data port connector would be the easiest way to figure it out.

OBD 2 port

OBD 1 port (upper right hand corner of pic)

#14 ·
According to my Haynes manual and other stuff I've read on the web, Astro/Safari and other GM trucks were OBD 1 thru 1995 (not OBD 1.5), in 1996 they went to OBD 2. The interim OBD 1.5 only made it into most mid-sized GM cars for 94 and 95, as well as Camaros and Corvettes. And yes, you can tell 1 from 2 by the connector.

#15 ·
kennyj said:
According to my Haynes manual and other stuff I've read on the web, Astro/Safari and other GM trucks were OBD 1 thru 1995 (not OBD 1.5), in 1996 they went to OBD 2. The interim OBD 1.5 only made it into most mid-sized GM cars for 94 and 95, as well as Camaros and Corvettes. And yes, you can tell 1 from 2 by the connector.
One way you can tell for sure is to look at your transmission , if its got a round electrical connector on the passenger side of the transmission that means it has a electronic transmission , electronic transmission would tell you that you have OBD 1.5
If no electrical plug on passenger side of the transmission that would tell you that you have OBD 1

#16 ·
OP, You could go to your LAPS and ask them to scan it.
kennyj said:
The interim OBD 1.5 only made it into most mid-sized GM cars for 94 and 95
I had to scan a '95 S-10 Blazer and it had the OBDII port. Threw me for a loop because it communicated OBDI.
webcat said:
If no electrical plug on passenger side of the transmission that would tell you that you have OBD 1
Plenty of electronic units were produced before OBDII. Absence of a plug on passenger side tells me it is a 700R4/4L60. If a Throttle Valve cable attached to the throttle lever is present on the trans, it is a 700R4.
Mr_Bowtie said:
Probably a OBD1 thing when they called them ECUs.
ECU, ECA, ECM, PCM, VCM, what's in a name? :lol:

#17 ·
kennyj said:
Good to know...thanks! :rockon:

#19 ·
webcat said:
Does he have a electronic transmission in his 1995 ? If so , its OBD 1.5
The 4L60E was introduced for the '93 model year. Which is OBD I. Not 1.5, not 2.

Having a 4L60E means nothing in his case, which is what Astroplane was telling you.

#21 ·
g0t0pless said:
My head is spinning now.

I need OBD II in order for my LCD dash to work.

I am not talking about the digital gauges that were available in some years. I am talking about a touchscreen (or not) 7" (or bigger) LCD screen that displays virtual gauges. Such as this: http://store.mp3car.com/PhotoGallery.as ... e=SOF%2DDC
You said you have the 12-pin connector under the dash, yes? In that case, you have OBD I. Sorry...

#23 ·
webcat said:
Leeann_93 said:
webcat said:
The 4L60E was introduced for the '93 model year. Which is OBD I. Not 1.5, not 2.

Having a 4L60E means nothing in his case, which is what Astroplane was telling you.
I'm sorry , i thought i had it correct , leeann and astro plane are right :oops:
:whistle: :mrgreen:

#24 ·
webcat said:
Leeann_93 said:
webcat said:

I'm sorry , i thought i had it correct , leeann and astro plane are right :oops:
Good to know info......... :rockon:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.