Uhaul Lifetime Warranty

Uhaul Lifetime Warranty

Postby 88astroLT [OP] » November 7th 2010, 8:20pm

Hello everyone
My 97 GMC Safari RWD has a Class II Uhaul Hitch Part # 36197. I would like to know if it has Lifetime Warranty the pics below are the stickers currently on it. Also, Under the sticker that says U-HAUL it states Nationwide Warranty.
Attachments
DSCI0004.JPG
88 Astro LT RWD 343k+ 3.23
97 Safari SLE RWD 143k+ 3.42 Limited Slip
Original Poster [OP]
88astroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 88astroLT has been a member for 4 full years88astroLT has been a member for 4 full years88astroLT has been a member for 4 full years88astroLT has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 17
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Re: Uhaul Lifetime Warranty

Postby RECox286 » November 7th 2010, 8:22pm

Dunno, but I would imagine that if you dial into their website you could find out, maybe.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby 88astroLT [OP] » November 7th 2010, 8:28pm

Thanks Ill go looking around the website and my files if i did buy it.
Original Poster [OP]
88astroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: 88astroLT has been a member for 4 full years88astroLT has been a member for 4 full years88astroLT has been a member for 4 full years88astroLT has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Gary » November 8th 2010, 11:47am

What is wrong with it???.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 124
Extra Info: high top

Postby 88astroLT [OP] » November 9th 2010, 10:56pm

I just want to get it replaced because the main frame with the bolts has a crak and rust on it. With the lifetime warranty thell replace it for any reason at all and its only an extra 5 bucks. But, once you purchased the hitch you cant later on add the warranty so i just wanted to know is there any way to know if it has it?
Original Poster [OP]
88astroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Phantom » November 9th 2010, 11:12pm

Most likely they will ask for your receipt to show you bought from them , surely there is a phone number on their website that you can call and ask about the warranty , and ask if they have all the sales on computer record , if they do and you bought it from them you can still use warranty even if you lose your receipt.
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby Duck Hunter » November 17th 2010, 3:32am

you could build one like the one I build check out some pictures on that..
1998 Chevy Astro
80,000 miles, RWD, 3.23 Gear, 24mpg, LS. Passagers.
Tires 225-70-15R BFGoodRich Long Trail T/A
Duck Hunter
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Duck Hunter has been a member for 5 full yearsDuck Hunter has been a member for 5 full yearsDuck Hunter has been a member for 5 full yearsDuck Hunter has been a member for 5 full yearsDuck Hunter has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 2WD

Postby throrope » February 17th 2011, 9:22pm

88astroLT

Not that this applies to your hitch, but thought I'd share our experience.

Our hitch platform hides the cross member behind the bumper somewhat like the link below. Several years after the RV dealer installed it I was snooping under the truck and found a main bolt broke off and another halfway in cross threaded. I'm guessing the installing orangutan misaligned the pieces on the shop floor and tightened everything. Then impact wrenched it against the frame and broke off the bolts. Our Chevy dealer gave it serious thought before describing the threaded inserts on the frame and suggested I leave well enough alone because his only recourse was welding.

That said, platforms are not expensive http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi ... n/050.html and bolt up easily enough. What will be much more work and money is correcting an intentional oversight from an orangutan whose late for a booty call when the shop manager is too lazy to inspect.

For my money, I'd hit the bolts with penetrating oil over a week or more and cautiously unbolt using six point impact sockets on a 1/2" breaker bar and heat the bolts if they don't move with reasonable force. Then replace with a beefier class III hitch.

Also, the platforms are different between the regular and longer EXT Astro. When you see a regular van with the receiver sticking past the bumper, you found a mismatch. The one in the above link looks like it has multiple bolt patterns, but I'd double check.
throrope
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: throrope has been a member for 3 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 3 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 3
Extra Info: LT 4.3L AWD

Postby 88astroLT [OP] » February 18th 2011, 10:50pm

well i know that the platforms are different from the shorty and the extended (i have them both) but if you havent heard my Safari got into an accident so i will have to replace it anyway. Oh, and also, i found the paper stating that it has a lifetime warranty so now, i can get a new hictch for free.
Original Poster [OP]
88astroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby throrope » February 19th 2011, 2:47am

Sorry about the accident and hope no one got or is hurting.

My 13 year old son and I watched the movie Matrix and were shocked that they trashed an Astro in the highway scene. We both still hold a grudge.
throrope
Years of Membership: throrope has been a member for 3 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 3 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 3
Extra Info: LT 4.3L AWD

Postby a2l1 » February 19th 2011, 7:00am

Not for nothing but if you were involved in an accident wouldnt the insurance company replace the hitch? I am assuming that there is an insurance claim involved, if not excuse my interruption.
1995 Regency conversion really a work in progress !!
Hernando County - West Central Florida
a2l1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: a2l1 has been a member for 3 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 3 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): A J
Extra Info: 4.3-auto-RWD

Postby 88astroLT [OP] » February 19th 2011, 5:22pm

well the insurance couldnt replace it because i bought it aftermarket. If i had the towing package with the hitch, they would replace it. but i only have the towing package with the wiring. oN the accident part, heres a link for details viewtopic.php?f=65&t=10063
Original Poster [OP]
88astroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby a2l1 » February 19th 2011, 5:35pm

Aftermarket is not an issue. I used to own a body shop and have had many dealings with insurance companies. The insurance will pay for add on items depending on the policy but the fact that they just totaled the vehicle means that it is all covered and paid for once you accept. In that case it is probably worth going after a replacement from the manufacturer with the lifetime replacement. In some cases, and it varies from company to company and sometime state law, lifetime can mean as little as five years. Cant hurt to see what they say. Best of luck to you and I do hope you get a replacement.
1995 Regency conversion really a work in progress !!
Hernando County - West Central Florida
a2l1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: a2l1 has been a member for 3 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 3 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): A J
Extra Info: 4.3-auto-RWD