Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Speaker Sizes ????

13K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Samio187 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 Astro shorty passenger van (full Interior) with 2 front (indash) and 4 rear. Does anyone know what size the dash speakers are? Also what size are speakers in the pillars in the rear and the rear doors? I haven't yet taken it apart.

#4 ·
Does anyone know of an exact fit speaker for the dash of a 190 astro. All the ones on crutchfield sayes to redrill the mounting holes but I don't want to remove the windshield just to mount new speaker in the dash. Can anyone help??

#6 ·
I think it's different from my '89 which had 6x9 speakers in it (right now it's got 6.5" speakers). I think the 90-94 have 5.25" speakers. An offset screw driver may help, it did me.
Rear doors or rear pillars? If rear doors, I believe 6x9s will fit. Rear pillars, I believe, are 4"

#8 ·
I have 6.5in infinitys in the dash of my 94 astro cl. The only problems i ran into where, the factory speaker has two metal hooks that slide under a plastic piece on the dash that cant be taken off the stocks and put on the new speakers. There are two screws on the top that holds the speakers in, the aftermarket speakers i have are a little wider so it takes a little adjusting to screw them in. I also have 3 way speakers and the factory grills wont fit over the aftermarket speakers. The only real trouble i had was with the wiring, because theres really no room to put your hands.

#12 ·
here you can see the factory speaker bracket and screws i put on the aftermarket speaker and also you can see where i had to take a grinder and cut down the edge of the speaker frame so that lip wouldn't catch on the dash
Picture 005.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

and this is the speaker installed and where i cut down the speaker leaves just enough room to pass the edge of the dash so it'll fit flush and bolt up without drilling any holes
Picture 002.jpg

and finished project
Picture 001.jpg

#13 ·
wow mine has 6x9's stock in the dash and the 6.5 in the rear door. and some 4s on the pillar. i need new 6x9s and 6.5s lol but my 4" fusions are the bomb magnet barely fit in the hole >.<

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.