Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Lightning Strobes.

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  97cargocrawler 
#1 ·
I have been asked about this a few times because of my signature, so I figured I should just do a simple thread about it.

The Strobes I have mounted around my van are from Tomar, they are high intensity strobe lights, non-LED.

I have Two mounted up front right next to the High Beam bulbs, Two are mounted in the Side Marker lights which were previously Empty, Two mounted next to the rear break light bulbs, and Two 3"x4" Rectangular Amber Box's(Strobe not Halogen) located in the rear hatch at the bottom right and left corners.

Strobes Rect34.JPG

Switches(From top to bottom)
*Amber 3"x4" boxes in rear hatch corners
*Rear brake light Strobes
*Front Strobes(Two in with the bright location, and two in the unused corner markers)
*Flash Rate Controller (Pursuit/Takedown)
(there is actually a 5th switch located under the dash that controls the Intensity, but I barely ever flip that one so didn't see a need for it to be readily accessible)
Control Box for Front's and Rear Taillights
Wiring Running to box
See the control box is normally mounted under the passenger seat on the rear support bar.
You can't see them when they are off in the rear window.
But when they are on they are really visable. (Those are just the strobe's lighting up those tail lights, they flash so fast and bright it messes with my camera, I can't take video of it either as the frame rate is not high enough for the flash)

See less See more
#3 ·
Strobes up front are clear, I think you have probably seen enough amber's boxes in your time.....

#5 ·
I have had these installed since 2008. I have used them in a variety of situations....

I like to help people on the road, whether it be removing road debris(large piece hazards), or helping out a stranded vehicle stuck in a lane. I use the rear flashers to alert drivers that there is a stranded vehicle, or my vehicle is stopped and blocking a lane.

I mainly installed them for my personal safety and for fun! I turn them on sometimes when out off-roading just for shock value. :D

Also, we get some thick fog here in WA State sometimes, at least a lot where I used to live, and I used to use my rear amber lights when I had to make a stop in the fog(lights, sign, fallen tree or other reasons) as the amber helped cut through the fog. A flashing light always catches your eyes, it is a proven fact, you see a flashing object and your eyes are automatically drawn to it.

If I have to park wrong way in traffic, I like to use my front silver strobes to alert drivers that I am in their lane, I commonly use these when locking up the rear gate at my office, or when using the loading dock, as our loading dock is right on the main road and the van sticks a little bit out in to the lane when unloading/loading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.