Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Computer center in the van

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  five10freak 
#1 ·
I am enjoying my van, though have found it has a few owies :screaming: to take care of. I am looking now to the entertainment system, to learn the costs of various upgrades. Right now, Sam only has an am/fm radio :( I would like to have a back-up camera, front viewing camera, dvd-mp3 player, gps, cb radio, am/fm radio and possibly satellite radio in my car, connected to an amp with speakers throughout. Is it possible to connect all of these devices to a computer and replace the am/fm radio with an lcd or led touch screen monitor and control all of the previously mentioned hardware with this touchscreen? The goal is simplicity of use as well as having an uncluttered look in the cabin - especially hiding as many of the toys as possible so that thieves do not have so much to see.

#4 ·
Some double/single din car dvd will do most of that , cb speaker out could be hooked to it as well ,the sattelite radio i dont know ,maybe some of the higher end have that option , if you get a wi-fi one your have everything pretty much ,b.t. for the phone etc, if android you may hook up the obd2 via bluetooth , your phone could control most of it as well ,its pretty much only one devise in the dash ,maybe 2 with sat radio, single din with 7 inch sreen fits pretty easy (find one with the screen that goes down not up tho ,it will obstruck your heater controls) , dunno just some idea s .

#5 ·
I realize I'm bumping a month old thread, so I hope this gets seen by the OP.

I'm sure someone could do what you want, but radios that can do most of that are readily available. They're just not cheap, but still cheaper than the computer setup you describe. I had a Pioneer flip touch screen, single DIN, that did DVD, would accept modules for satellite and HD radio, and had a hookup for a backup camera, as well as a USB that could connect a flash drive or an Apple device.It also had Bluetooth. The model above mine had GPS built in. An auxiliary input could handle audio from a CB. But honestly,I don't see the advantage of a front camera, but I'm sure something could be done.

#6 ·
Getting the desired simplicity is alright, but radios that can do most of that are readily available.I had a Dell S2240T 21.5-Inch Touch Screen LED-lit Monitor, single DIN, that did DVD, would accept modules for satellite and HD radio.I also had a hookup for a backup camera, as well as a USB that could connect a flash drive.I would say that it's possible to connect these devices as you desire and replace with the led touch screen monitor.However,keen interest to the touch screen monitor ought to be paid.One of your preference from the world's best i.e https://comparily.com/best-touch-screen-monitor/ would do. But, for the camera,I don't deem it to be that essential.
Goodluck.

#7 ·
Do an internet search for carputer. It can and has been done. simplicity is not in the vocabulary of carputers, several geek friends of mine have done this into the Nissan 240sx chassis with all the goodies you mentioned, they got there cars done but it wasn't a cut and dry install with lots and lots of wires, relays, raspberry pies etc,etc,etc.

good luck though!! and keep us posted!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.