Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Bluetooth installed in stock radio.

5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  The Drummer 
#1 ·
#6 ·
97cargocrawler said:
...that stock radio...just a hideous POS.
For some of us anything other than a stock radio equals a broken window & a hole in the dash.

-Andrew

#12 ·
97cargocrawler said:
But you missed my point anyway. :teasing-neener:
Then I guess it didn't matter anyway.

For those that might find this thread in a search, If you still have a tape player, you can get a BT adapter for it.
81-82ZSIR-L._SL1500_.jpg

Or you could use the standard tape adapter and a BT dongle like I used with my $3 aux input.

#13 ·
I've tried a couple different casette adapters with an aux jack that I use in my other vehicles. The Safari just ejects the tape. Otherwise I would. Never seen a BT casette adapter before.

#14 ·
I would go with the aux input personally if you want to keep the factory radio. Some of the tape adapters are built better than others, something along the lines of how some players sense the tape inside the cassette(or something like that.)

#15 ·
haha, i was imagining a regular *** CASSETTE sitting on a table, bluetooth that and i'll be impressed, not a bluetooth cassette adapter. anyhoo. i have that AAI-GM9 adapter that goes between the head unit and extra tape player or cd changer to plug in 2 different accessories. i can do am/fm, CD ,cassette, ipod and eventually i'll have a bluetooth option via something similar to this... http://www.sears.com/apps2car-rca-bluet ... 9348857817

figure out a way to safely play vinyl with the way i drive and i'd consider it(no i wouldnt)

Will, could you elaborate on that $3 adapter you keep mentioning?

#17 ·
Ah, Lumpy. I think we're kindred spirits. I once worked in a record store by day and radio station by night. Thus, I have around 8,000 LP records to take up space of practical things. Use to have a mobile/auto turntable in my '73 Nova. Now it's records at home and streaming music in the vehicles. Here in the NW, a lot of really talented younger bands are releasing cassettes, so I'm gonna stay square and keep it. what's old is new.

#18 ·
in the owners manual of my 00 ,in the radio section ,there is a notice about how the tape deck will eventualy let you know that its time to clean the reading heads with a cassette head cleaner, now if you insert any cassette adaptor the deck will reject it thinking you want to clean the heads but it is not yet time to do so , there is a procedure to by pass that for exactly that, using a cassette adaptor , by pressing certain buttons it will desable the tape cleaning feature and allow you to use any type of cassette adaptors , reading is such a nice usefull thing .

#20 ·
The Drummer said:
in the owners manual of my 00 ,in the radio section ,there is a notice about how the tape deck will eventualy let you know that its time to clean the reading heads with a cassette head cleaner, now if you insert any cassette adaptor the deck will reject it thinking you want to clean the heads but it is not yet time to do so , there is a procedure to by pass that for exactly that, using a cassette adaptor , by pressing certain buttons it will desable the tape cleaning feature and allow you to use any type of cassette adaptors , reading is such a nice usefull thing .
Thanks hombre! My '04 manual says nothing on the subject of cassette decks. I referred to the '00 you mentioned, and it worked like a charm. Holds it in until eject is hit. It's a bit noisy, but can easily be drowned out with some Thin Lizzy @ played @ 11. :ty:

#21 ·
97cargocrawler said:
Lol. Enjoy your cassette tapes.
Hey, for less than $1 I added an AUX IN port to my radio. Not sure of the newer radios but for these late 80s mid 90s square suckers, it's a snap to add.

With Cassette:
RadioAstro10.jpg

W/O Cassette:
RadioAuxIn03.jpg

Even in my Caddy:
Radio12.jpg

All you do is open the radio, cut a couple of wires, add leads to the jack, and drill a hole. I stuck them in the face of the radio, but you could run longer leads and place the jack anywhere on the dash, even run it to a center console. Put a cord in, it cuts out the radio. Hard wired right into the L & R channels just before it goes into the internal amp.

-Andrew

#22 ·
Thinking about it some more, instead of that jack, which acts like a DPDT switch, if you wired an actual DPDT switch in and wired the BT to it, you could place the switch somewhere on the dash and go back & forth between the radio and BT.

-Andrew

p.s. DPDT switch = double pole, double throw. Switches input from two wires from one source (radio) and two wires from another (mp3 player, BT, etc) to a common output (speakers).

#23 ·
icebrrg3rd said:
97cargocrawler said:
Lol. Enjoy your cassette tapes.
Hey, for less than $1 I added an AUX IN port to my radio.
-Andrew
Oh believe me I could do that mod in my sleep. But since I would only keep the stock radio in a vehicle that was like 1970 or older, I have no need. I do have the two old Delco's I removed from my vehicles for that die-hard collector who purchases whichever vehicle I'm not buried in at my estate sale.

It's a coolio mod, I just have to question the sanity of the guy who wants to go through all the work of removing the radio and not slapping in something far superior :snooty:

BUT, I do see the cool factor of installing a CRT on the dash for your backup camera!

Old-School.jpg

#26 ·
Grrr. The cassette adapter function lasted about an hour, before it turned into an alley cat orgy of noise and ejected it with great vengeance and furious anger. Gonna pull the cd player and plug in the BT kit. Learn as we go I spose. ***removed dead link***

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.