Rear AC Removal

Rear AC Removal

Postby chopsaw209 [OP] » February 5th 2017, 6:28am

Hello,

I have decided to remove my rear AC unit in order to get maximum space use in my Safari once it's camperized. I no very little about dual AC/Heat units and have no idea if they are both on the same freon circuit, or separate? How should I go about isolating the front if so? Any advice or links to the knowledge needed is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

C
Hike, Climb, Camp, Cut, Weld, Repeat.
Original Poster [OP]
chopsaw209
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Topics: 4
Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rear AC/ REAR heat switch swap
    by Rookie162 » January 28th 2017, 6:47pm in Climate Control
    11 Replies
    Last post by 1lowcab View the latest post
    March 11th 2017, 2:55am
  • Rear AC switch
    by dantheman » November 28th 2016, 5:46pm in Climate Control
    3 Replies
    Last post by MI_Ghost View the latest post
    November 29th 2016, 7:35pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 28th 2017, 3:54pm

Re: Rear AC Removal

Postby Rinny » February 5th 2017, 12:48pm

I think you could probably remove the unit and cap the line. You are going to loose the Freon it is all tied together I am pretty sure. Might want to have that system evacuated
,then remove the unit. Better not to breath that stuff in at all. Very caustic.
Rinny
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 15
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 2 INCH LIFT

Postby Mmusicman » February 5th 2017, 2:19pm

I hate to see a van butchered of such a wonderful factory option, just so you have a little spot to store your thermos! I guess you don't travel in the summer where temps reach 90-100 degrees.

But I always say... it's YOUR van! Do what makes YOU happy!

Yes, the front and rear A/C share the same freon system. I believe all you will need to do is cap and seal the 2 lines.
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

Postby chopsaw209 [OP] » February 5th 2017, 4:53pm

Mmusicman wrote:I hate to see a van butchered of such a wonderful factory option, just so you have a little spot to store your thermos! I guess you don't travel in the summer where temps reach 90-100 degrees.

But I always say... it's YOUR van! Do what makes YOU happy!

Yes, the front and rear A/C share the same freon system. I believe all you will need to do is cap and seal the 2 lines.

I TOTALLY get where you're coming from man. But I have bigger plans than just a thermos. I live in California's central valley where we see temps of 107 at times, in the summer you better believe I am not camping in that climate, I evacuate and head to the high sierras to cool off and wander around.
And if I were to camp lets say in the desert, I don't think I would be hanging out in the van with the engine running to support the AC system for any length of time.

But you are right, it is a shame in a way to amputate that nice feature for anyone who would be riding in the back seats that will no longer be there.

DO I only need to cap the system? Or does it need to flow?
Original Poster [OP]
chopsaw209
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby Lumpy » February 5th 2017, 5:06pm

Follow the rear AC lines to where they meet with the front AC system. The CLOSER to the front you can cap them off, the better. You don't want long "dead ends" of tubing where junk can accumulate. Don't tie them together, they are very different pressures and designed to mitigate the pressure difference at either the orifice (front) or the expansion valve (rear).

Perhaps a more functional way of looking at it, and I'm sure what MMan is suggesting, is to look at the Rear AC stuff (coil, fan, duct) and think about what kind of space you might be gaining if you delete it.

To gain any space you would need to remove all the plastic/fiberglass trim that surrounds the L Rear and Top Rear area around the rear door. If you deleted all that, you might gain something like a cubic foot and a half. But you'd then have a bare metal wall without trim or insulation. You could leave that unfinished and literally have about enough space for a thermos, I'd guess. So I'd want to judge the mod on "Will the ugly factor to space gained trade-off be worthwhile?"

If you feel it is, then cap the lines as close as possible to the front. As you pull the stuff from the rear AC, I think the fan is the same as your front and rear heat so saving that will gain you a replacement fan should you ever need it.

I think(?) that you won't be able to cap them in situ. You'll likely need to essentially dismantle your entire AC system, including remove the compressor, accumulator, condensor coil in front of the radiator etc. Then with the lines removed, do the plumbing cap-off mods, then reinstall. Then of course, suck it down, check for leaks (esp around your new mod) and recharge with refrigerant.

What model thermos?

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby chopsaw209 [OP] » February 5th 2017, 5:11pm

Lumpy wrote:Follow the rear AC lines to where they meet with the front AC system. The CLOSER to the front you can cap them off, the better. You don't want long "dead ends" of tubing where junk can accumulate. Don't tie them together, they are very different pressures and designed to mitigate the pressure difference at either the orifice (front) or the expansion valve (rear).

Perhaps a more functional way of looking at it, and I'm sure what MMan is suggesting, is to look at the Rear AC stuff (coil, fan, duct) and think about what kind of space you might be gaining if you delete it.

To gain any space you would need to remove all the plastic/fiberglass trim that surrounds the L Rear and Top Rear area around the rear door. If you deleted all that, you might gain something like a cubic foot and a half. But you'd then have a bare metal wall without trim or insulation. You could leave that unfinished and literally have about enough space for a thermos, I'd guess. So I'd want to judge the mod on "Will the ugly factor to space gained trade-off be worthwhile?"

If you feel it is, then cap the lines as close as possible to the front. As you pull the stuff from the rear AC, I think the fan is the same as your front and rear heat so saving that will gain you a replacement fan should you ever need it.

I think(?) that you won't be able to cap them in situ. You'll likely need to essentially dismantle your entire AC system, including remove the compressor, accumulator, condensor coil in front of the radiator etc. Then with the lines removed, do the plumbing cap-off mods, then reinstall. Then of course, suck it down, check for leaks (esp around your new mod) and recharge with refrigerant.

What model thermos?

Lump

It's one of the Japanese import models with the heated rubber orifice. :lol:
Original Poster [OP]
chopsaw209
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby chopsaw209 [OP] » February 5th 2017, 5:30pm

I've already done the damage, it was gone before I made the post about what to do with the lines. It nor the front are working, so that factored into my decision to lose it. In my mind letting it go, then solving the problem with the front made sense, since I was assuming I'd start from square one and get the front properly blowing ice.

I'm losing all of the interior from the windows down in the rear. I live by the saying "If I only had a few more inches." :shock:
I'm going to over kill the insulation and build my own new flat lower wall panels with masonite and carpet.
Original Poster [OP]
chopsaw209
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby Lumpy » February 5th 2017, 5:56pm

chopsaw209 wrote:
...I'm losing all of the interior from the windows down in the rear...

In that case, delete on I say. I've deleted some plastic here and there and not yet come up with an ideal replacement. That whole bunch of "cooler/arm rest" stuff in the rear is useless in my setup (no rear seats) so I'm trying to come up with a replacement now.

The raw plywood in the pics is my "prototype". If I decide that's what I want I'll build something there out of steel(?) wood(?). I'm not tooled up or skilled up to do a lot of plywood cabinet stuff so it might be steel.

Slider door panel is removed so I can work on the mechanism. Been fussing with that for months.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » February 5th 2017, 7:00pm

you can get the top of the engine lines from another van that has just front AC and get your front AC working. I have one of the front only lines hanging in my garage but I have no idea what year van it came from. I am in norcal up by Stockton if you plan on being in the area let me know you can have it free. I am in Valley Springs close to New Hogan Lake/reservoir. mark-mitch@hotmail.com just put AC lines in the subject do I know who you are. Mark
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 440
Alias (AKA): Astro gearhead
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby Lumpy » February 5th 2017, 8:59pm

If I was going to do it, I'd get MMs and replace the dualies. Either way, it's the same dismantle and replace/recharge. And replacing probably eliminates the flare/cap/crimp/duct tape and vise grip - whatever method. Less future leakables.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby chopsaw209 [OP] » February 10th 2017, 4:38am

markmitch wrote:you can get the top of the engine lines from another van that has just front AC and get your front AC working. I have one of the front only lines hanging in my garage but I have no idea what year van it came from. I am in norcal up by Stockton if you plan on being in the area let me know you can have it free. I am in Valley Springs close to New Hogan Lake/reservoir. mark-mitch@hotmail.com just put AC lines in the subject do I know who you are. Mark

Thanks A LOT! I will let you know in advance if I'll be passing though. I'm in the Central Valley. Cheers!
Original Poster [OP]
chopsaw209
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby astrosafari2000 » March 20th 2017, 3:04pm

Do you have rear heat too? i think the biggest gain in space would be on side wall. Image
I'm thinking about removing in my 03 Safari, but haven't looked into what that involves. On that note... if anybody is interested in rear heat and A/C and knows how to remove them correctly, you're welcome to mine :)
astrosafari2000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): skettikat

Postby Leeann_93 » March 21st 2017, 1:29am

Looks a lot like my picture of my '99...
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby Lumpy » March 21st 2017, 1:38am

Is the rear fan the same part as the front fan? So those of us deleting the rear can keep the fan for a spare?

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby astrosafari2000 » March 21st 2017, 1:45am

I think thats where i found the pic :) i havent taken any in daylight of mine yet. But i'm planning on puttling a barbed 5/8" u shaped tube on the heater tubes beneath where they run into the van. Then i'll remove the heater core and blower. Looks like i'll get 12" more of space behind the drivers seat until the gas tank section that comes in. I mounted a battery between there and the wheel well and it fits perfectly. The rear heat vents would've either been blocked by a cabinet anyway or blowing onto my 2nd battery.

I'd like to keep the heater hoses available as i'm looking into the possibility of a heat exchange for hot water in the future.
astrosafari2000
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): skettikat

Postby Leeann_93 » March 21st 2017, 2:48am

I was being a smartass. I know that's my pic and my van.

Lump, I never actually looked at the part # for the blower motor because that was fine on my van. I only needed to replace the heater core.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD