Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Blower motor, resistor, hose or switch?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bRandom81 
#1 ·
I've run into not having AC or any other air settings while on tour, don't really have a place to work on the van and not sure whats wrong but I'm not getting any air thru the vents except the defrost, and the heat control switch has to be jostled in between selections to even get the defrost setting to work (barely). I should also note that our heater control valve (the heater hose junction below the AC unti) broke earlier in the trip so we did a fix to bypass the heater and am not able to get any heat at the moment.

I've poured over the forums and watched many a youtube video about the AC / Heater issues and I've replaced the vacuum hose that was cracked and for about 2 weeks we've had AC but no heat or standard air. From what I can tell, the blower motor was working just fine with the AC (when jostled into place, midway between Max AC and standard), but now it's not getting anything.

I've inspected the replacement hosing from under the hood and it seems to be holding up but I can't tell if the PCV side is having issues. The hose is plasticy, standard vacuum hose from O'Reilly's (they didn't have anything else handy).

Before we began our roadtrip I had the van in my friends garage and pulled the resistor/ doghouse I went thru with voltmeter and tested the resistor. If I recall correcty (it was over 2 weeks ago, and I'm new to all this) the Ground and standard power were the only ones registering, none of the other "settings" on the resistor had and voltage. We tried multiple times and used a chart from the forum for reference.

I think the issue may be from either the resistor or the actual dashboard heat selector, or it's possible the vacuum tube that I just installed has melted and split. I'm from Seattle and now currently in Gainesville Florida on tour with my band, so I don't have access to a garage or anything.. might have to take it into a shop but just thought I'd see if there are tell tale signs of a bad heat selector, resistor or blower motor before I take it in or maybe theres a way to get in and test it myself w/o having to take the doghouse apart (which is the main pain in the *** for working on it).

I appreciate any insight or recommendations. Seeing as I'm on limited funds and on a tight schedule I don't know if a repair shop is even possible for a few days.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
The AC doesn't really work, I do notice it will kind of blow a little thru the vents while we're on the freeway (driving fast) but if at idle or under 45mph nothing comes out. I've inspected the vacuum hose that I replaced 2 weeks ago and it seems to be ok, but cannot access the PCV side. I think it's a combo of bad resistor, heater selector switch (dashboard control dial thing) or bad vacuum hose.

It should be noted that when I originally replaced the vacuum hose the AC worked fine, but the dial on the dash had to be tampered with in order for it to work. Now, it doesn't work at all (on any setting, not just AC).

Since we're on the road and having to deal with venues/load time/performing/staying at a place there really isn't much time to take it into a shop but I may have to figure a way to do that unless someone here has some insight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.