Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Blower Motor On/Off Switch

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  WoodButcher 
#1 ·
Howdy all, this is my very first posting on this website, yay! Just joined on and can't wait to learn from all y'all as well as share what tidbits of Astro Knowledge I've scooped from the bottom of barrels of laborious sweat I've poured out on my van.

Ever since I've had my Asto, the blower motor always runs even when the engine is shut off and key out of the ignition. I've always just left the blower motor unplugged until I needed to use it, pop open the hood and plug 'er in! My question: Has anyone on here ever had to just wire an ON/OFF switch for their blower motor in the cabin? Any suggestions? I have a good understanding of how to wire things up thanks to all my electrical work on guitars and what-not, just wondering if anyone has ever done this mod. I want to put the switch next to the AC/Heater vent selection switch as there are three unused slots next to it.

Any help is much appreciated, and again, this website is a Godsend!

#2 ·
I've got a 99 also, and I've got the GM service manuals for it. I'll take a couple pics of the wiring diagrams for you tonight when I get home from work. Sounds to me like you may just have a faulty relay. Weird.

#5 ·
If I were a betting person, I would say it's the blower motor resistor and relay pack. Looks like this:

It's located right next to the blower motor behind the coolant/windshield reservoirs. I'd pick one up from a Pick N Pull and swap it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.